RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Brad330l 01-30-2010 05:30 AM

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

Okay. In the summer of 1940, the Spitfires and Hurricanes were relatively easy prey for the 109's. In September, the Spits and Hurricanes put up a much better fight. Why? (Hint: I'm not talking about radar, the channel, distances, fuel, tactics, etc; just the planes themselves.) Thanks; Ernie P.
The RAF fighters changed from the 3 plane vic formation to the four finger formation.
- Brian

Yes that as well AND they went on the offencive!!!!!!!![>:]

Brad

deatonbt 01-30-2010 06:31 AM

What plane lost the initial competition against the Bf 109 as the next Luftwaffe fighter?
- Brian

Brad330l 01-30-2010 06:36 AM

What plane lost the initial competition against the Bf 109 as the next Luftwaffe fighter?
- Brian

Hang on a sec,,,, you havnt got the go ahead to ask a question yet.
The question we were asked was about the aeroplane itself , not tactics etc.

Brad

deatonbt 01-30-2010 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

- Brian

Hang on a sec,,,, you havnt got the go ahead to ask a question yet.
The question we were asked was about the aeroplane itself , not tactics etc.

Brad
Oops. I wasn't paying attention. You hit it with the Mk. IIs coming out. The mechanical changes were the new engines. The Hurricane got the Rolls-Royce Merlin XX at 1,280 hp; and a new interchangeable wing with twelve 7.7 mm Brownings or four 20 millimeter cannons. The Spitfire got the Rolls-Royce Merlin XII engine at 1,175 hp; and new interchangeable wings with the same changes as the Hurricane.

Edited: Spelling mistake and addition of armament comment.

Brad330l 01-30-2010 07:22 AM

No worries mate.
It's up to Ernie P. now to see how we went.

Brad

Ernie P. 01-30-2010 08:07 AM

No worries mate.
It's up to Ernie P. now to see how we went.

Brad
Okay. In the summer of 1940, the Spitfires and Hurricanes were relatively easy prey for the 109's. In September, the Spits and Hurricanes put up a much better fight. Why? (Hint: I'm not talking about radar, the channel, distances, fuel, tactics, etc; just the planes themselves.) Thanks; Ernie P.

No answer yet!! Kind of surprising, actually. Okay; more hints. This was something that had to do with the mechanical side of both planes; something that changed; something that transformed both planes; made them both much better in the performance area. I don't want to sit back and kill the thread by hanging everything up; so if we don't have a correct answer pretty soon, I'll answer my own question, ask another question, and we can move on. This thread is too good to see it hung up for very long. One more hint... think about a mechanical improvement suggested by a pilot who flew to the factory without authorization; parts fabricated by the factory without a contract; fitted in the field by factory mechanics within a few weeks; dramatic improvement in the performance of both planes; and all just in time for Eagle Day. Thanks; Ernie P.

Brad330l 01-30-2010 08:11 AM

The fitting of Rotol props?

Brad

Ernie P. 01-30-2010 08:41 AM

The fitting of Rotol props?

Brad
Close enough!! The early Spits and Hurricanes were equipped with two bladed, fixed pitch propellers. The story goes (forgive me, I'm operating off memory of things read long ago; some of the details might not be exact) that a British pilot, in the days just prior to the unleashing of the Battle of Britain, had the idea of fitting a three bladed, variable pitch (constant speed?) propeller to his Spitfire. He flew, on his own, to the factory to talk to the engineers. They tried a hand made propeller, and it transformed the performance envelope, a big improvement. There wasn't time to do the normal testing, contract, delivery routine; so the factory produced the new propellers on a verbal order, and had them installed on all the Spitfires and Hurricanes in just a few weeks. And all, just in time for the Battle of Britain. Until then, the BF-109's had a distinct performance edge over both the Spitfire and Hurricane.

A classic example of every one involved doing the right thing; seizing the initiative; taking a chance; not waiting for the paperwork to flow; and it may have saved a nation. Brad; you are up Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Brad330l 01-30-2010 09:38 AM

Right oh then, sticking with the Spit and Hurry for this one,,,,, desert and some tropical aircraft were fitted with a Vokes style filter to try keep more dust out of the engines. What was the other type of filter (in field modification) that was tried, tested and used by some ingenious RAF ground crew in North Africa?

Brad

Ernie P. 01-30-2010 10:37 AM

Right oh then, sticking with the Spit and Hurry for this one,,,,, desert and some tropical aircraft were fitted with a Vokes style filter to try keep more dust out of the engines. What was the other type of filter (in field modification) that was tried, tested and used by some ingenious RAF ground crew in North Africa?

Brad
Are you talking about the Aboukir filter? Thanks; Ernie P.

proptop 01-30-2010 01:48 PM

Sea sponges?
I recall reading of large sea sponges being used as "improvised" filters...but that might not have been in the Medaterainain theater?

Edit:
So I don't derail the thread...the sponges were used by Japanese mechanics. I remember now, reading in (I believe it was ) an Arco-Aircam publication on the Ki-61 about the mech. having problems with the sand and ground up coral from the runway being ingested into the Ha. 40 and 140 engines.

Brad330l 01-30-2010 06:52 PM

Brad
Ernie, you have it again![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I have not heard of the sea sponges,,,,, interesting.

Brad

Ernie P. 01-30-2010 07:36 PM

Brad
Ernie, you have it again![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I have not heard of the sea sponges,,,,, interesting.

Brad
Okay; an easy one this time. All through the Second World War, American and British aircraft had a "built in" advantage over their German counterparts; one that gave them, on all combat aircraft, a distinct performance edge in one area. What was the advantage? Thanks; Ernie P.

cfircav8r 01-30-2010 07:48 PM

G-suits?

Ernie P. 01-30-2010 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

G-suits?
Nope. Thanks; Ernie P.

lrrambo 01-30-2010 09:18 PM

How about superchargers, (Merlins) turbochargers(p-38's) and 130-150 high octane fuel? (Fuel with Tetra-ethyl lead and boosters added to it)

Ernie P. 01-30-2010 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: lrrambo

How about superchargers, (Merlins) turbochargers(p-38's) and 130-150 high octane fuel? (Fuel with Tetra-ethyl lead and boosters added to it)
Ding, ding, ding!! Ladies and Gentlemen; we have a winner. Tetra-ethyl lead, the supply of which was controlled by the United States, allowed allied engines to be run at higher compression and more advanced timing; as compared to German engines. In effect, the Germans were running on "regular" and the Allies were running "high test". All in all, a big horsepower advantage. More power; more speed; faster climb.

You, Sir; have the conch shell. Thanks; Ernie P.

lrrambo 01-30-2010 10:02 PM

My turn? I've got a relative easy one if you know your Pacific history.

lrrambo 01-30-2010 10:17 PM

What person, not a fighter pilot, was able to extend the range of the P-38 in the Pacific? The same non-combatant flew a P-38 on combat patrol and supposedly downed a Zero.
Should be easy.:D

proptop 01-30-2010 10:58 PM

Charles A. Lindberg

Rebel Flyer 01-30-2010 10:59 PM

Charles Lindberg.

One of the men that made it the plane it became.

Rebel

lrrambo 01-30-2010 11:11 PM

Yowza, got that one.
Lindberg was believed the U.S. shouldn't become entangled with Europe's war. Insolatist before the war, after Pearl Harbor he devoted himself to helping America win the war any way he could. Once again, a true American hero.
Proptop, your turn.
It's late, to all, good night.

proptop 01-30-2010 11:19 PM

OK..my 3rd and final question:
What was the "Middle River Stump Jumper" and what made it different? (why did it have that name? )

Sessholvlaru 01-30-2010 11:19 PM

True American hero? I read that he was a Nazi sympathizer and strongly anti-Semitic?

warbird51 01-30-2010 11:36 PM

Martin B-26 equipped with a tandem landing gear that was used on the B-47