RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Hydro Junkie 09-19-2016 11:33 PM

And pd1 got it. The B-66 Destroyer/A-3 Skywarrior
Time to go over the clues:
1) This plane was used by both the Navy and Air Force of the country it was manufactured in
It was used off carriers and land bases by the US Navy and USAF
2) This plane was manufactured by a company known for it's combat aircraft's outstanding records
In this case Douglas, who's SBD Dauntless, AD-1 Skyraider, A-4 Skyhawk and F-4 Phantoms became legends of their days
3) This plane was one of three different types in service at the same time manufactured by one company
The B-66/A-3,A-4 and F-4 were all used at the same time, sharing the flight decks until the A-4 was phased out in favor of the A-7 Corsair II
4) This plane was the only one of the three(from clue #3) that was used operationally in several different configurations requiring an internal reworking to facilitate the different task specific requirements
Many other uses for the aircraft were developed, resulting in many variants, including the KA-3B (aerial refueling), EA-3A/B (electronic reconnaissance), ERA-3B (electronic countermeasures), RA-3 (photo reconnaissance), TA-3B (radar training), EKA-3B (combined tanker/countermeasures/strike), test work (NA-3B and NRA-3B), and even a VIP transport model (VA-3B). One was on board the USS Kitty hawk during it's 1984 and 1985 deployments, as I helped troubleshoot an issue with one of it's systems in 1984.
5) Of the three planes referred to in clue three, this was not the one with a single engine
Both the F-4 and A-3 used twin engines, the A-4 was powered by a single engine
6) This plane used one of two different engines, depending on the branch of service was flying it
The Navy version was powered by the Pratt & Whitney J-57 while the Air Force version was powered by Allison J-71s

Pd1 has told me he won't be able to put up a quiz due to other obligations so the floor is open

Ernie P. 09-20-2016 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12259445)
And pd1 got it. The B-66 Destroyer/A-3 Skywarrior
Time to go over the clues:
1) This plane was used by both the Navy and Air Force of the country it was manufactured in
It was used off carriers and land bases by the US Navy and USAF
2) This plane was manufactured by a company known for it's combat aircraft's outstanding records
In this case Douglas, who's SBD Dauntless, AD-1 Skyraider, A-4 Skyhawk and F-4 Phantoms became legends of their days
3) This plane was one of three different types in service at the same time manufactured by one company
The B-66/A-3,A-4 and F-4 were all used at the same time, sharing the flight decks until the A-4 was phased out in favor of the A-7 Corsair II
4) This plane was the only one of the three(from clue #3) that was used operationally in several different configurations requiring an internal reworking to facilitate the different task specific requirements
Many other uses for the aircraft were developed, resulting in many variants, including the KA-3B (aerial refueling), EA-3A/B (electronic reconnaissance), ERA-3B (electronic countermeasures), RA-3 (photo reconnaissance), TA-3B (radar training), EKA-3B (combined tanker/countermeasures/strike), test work (NA-3B and NRA-3B), and even a VIP transport model (VA-3B). One was on board the USS Kitty hawk during it's 1984 and 1985 deployments, as I helped troubleshoot an issue with one of it's systems in 1984.
5) Of the three planes referred to in clue three, this was not the one with a single engine
Both the F-4 and A-3 used twin engines, the A-4 was powered by a single engine
6) This plane used one of two different engines, depending on the branch of service was flying it
The Navy version was powered by the Pratt & Whitney J-57 while the Air Force version was powered by Allison J-71s

Pd1 has told me he won't be able to put up a quiz due to other obligations so the floor is open

Good question, Hydro Junkie. Okay, folks; Pd1 has declared the floor is open. First to ask a question has the floor. Thanks; Ernie P.

elmshoot 09-20-2016 05:50 AM

Wow I guess i didn't check back soon enough. I think I would have guessed that one. I was on Enterprise in 85 and we tried repeatedly to kill the Whale and crew.
Sending them on a bingo to an airfield that was closed... holdback on the airplane broke on the Cat at night. IFR probe broken and bent 90 degrees straight up after trying to tank on an A7 tanker. I was glad to see they removed the plane from the flight deck eventually, sadly they managed to kill a crew of 7 on Nimitz in the Med.
Seeing that plane in the Case1 landing pattern it looked like an airliner getting ready to land aboard. Then when it did touch down it would rebound a little bit back into the air. Known as the "Whale Dance"
Sparky

Hydro Junkie 09-20-2016 08:27 AM

We didn't have anything quite that dramatic with our Whale. The guys from the "Bat Det" were a bunch of pros when it came to that big bird. Had more issues with the stupid yellow shirts than we did with the Whale. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. Would make a really nice flying RV if properly set up:o

Ernie P. 09-20-2016 06:14 PM

Okay, folks; the floor is still open. If any one has a question, feel free to post it. First come, etc. I think you've all heard enough from me recently, but if no one posts anything by tomorrow afternoon I'll try to come up with something. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 09-21-2016 05:39 AM

Last chance, guys. Otherwise, I'll post something this afternoon. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 09-21-2016 02:19 PM

And once more into the breach. Thank; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:
1. Perhaps the most amazing fact about this warbird is the annual production number was only a few numbers greater than the number of countries utilizing it.

Ernie P. 09-22-2016 01:14 AM

A morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
1. Perhaps the most amazing fact about this warbird is the annual production number was only a few numbers greater than the number of countries utilizing it.
2. It is noted for two significant “firsts”.

Ernie P. 09-22-2016 01:32 PM

And yet another clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
3. It was a very advanced aircraft for its time.

Ernie P. 09-23-2016 02:12 AM

A morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
4. In fact, only one other manufacturer was producing aircraft which could even be called “comparable” as relates to their modernish design.

Hydro Junkie 09-23-2016 07:16 AM

Okay, I'll bite.
How about the Curtis F9C Sparrowhawk?
There was only 7 built and used operationally by the US Navy

Ernie P. 09-23-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12260730)
Okay, I'll bite.
How about the Curtis F9C Sparrowhawk?
There was only 7 built and used operationally by the US Navy

A really good answer, Hydro Junkie. Not correct, of course, but a very good answer still. And, you have earned a bonus clue! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
4. In fact, only one other manufacturer was producing aircraft which could even be called “comparable” as relates to their very modernish design.
5. Various models utilized various engines, from various manufacturers.

Ernie P. 09-24-2016 12:23 AM

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
4. In fact, only one other manufacturer was producing aircraft which could even be called “comparable” as relates to their very modernish design.
6. Both inline and radial engines were used.

Ernie P. 09-24-2016 12:31 PM

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
7. It was in production for more than ten years.

elmshoot 09-24-2016 06:38 PM

DR-7
Sparky

Ernie P. 09-24-2016 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12261240)
DR-7
Sparky

Sparky; I'm not familiar with the DR-7. The Fokker D-7, of course; but not a DR-7. However, I'm intrigued enough to award a bonus clue. Could you help me out by identifying the DR-7 and telling us alt abut it? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
8. It was in regular use for more than twenty years.

Ernie P. 09-25-2016 03:46 AM

Clues:
4. In fact, only one other manufacturer was producing aircraft which could even be called “comparable” as relates to their modernish design.
9. It was utilized as a passenger plane, a bomber and as a transport.

Ernie P. 09-25-2016 03:22 PM

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
10. However, it was first introduced as a transport plane; one which could easily be utilized as a passenger plane.

Hydro Junkie 09-25-2016 04:38 PM

He-111?

Ernie P. 09-25-2016 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12261499)
He-111?

Hydro Junkie; that is a really good answer. It is, however, incorrect. Keep trying; you'll get it. And here's another clue to reward your effort. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
10. However, it was first introduced as a transport plane; one which could easily be utilized as a passenger plane.
11. One of the reasons for its popularity was the ease with which alternate landing gear could be fitted.

Ernie P. 09-26-2016 02:24 AM

Clues:
11. One of the reasons for its popularity was the ease with which alternate landing gear could be fitted.
12. It was a low wing monoplane.

Hydro Junkie 09-26-2016 07:04 AM

Boeing 247

Ernie P. 09-26-2016 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12261652)
Boeing 247

Not a 247, Hydro Junkie; but this afternoon clue may help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
13. It was a cantilever monoplane.

SimonCraig1 09-26-2016 03:09 PM

The Blohm & Voss BV 142?

Ernie P. 09-26-2016 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1 (Post 12261806)
The Blohm & Voss BV 142?

Not the BV 142, Sir; but a good guess nonetheless. Here's a bonus clue for participating. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
13. It was a cantilever monoplane.
14. Without any supporting wires or external bracing.