RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Ernie P. 09-18-2017 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12368596)
Gee, how about a few more clues, just for good measure:
1) This plane had a very distinctive shape
2) This plane had a crew of two(not four like my beloved Prowlers)
3) This plane had a single engine, using the same engine as several other more famous aircraft
4) This plane had a flaw in it's design that resulted in it's being assigned to a different type of combat mission than it was originally planned to perform
5) This plane, like the big four engine bombers, was flown by a pilot who was, more or less, just a chauffeur for the other crewman, the person that really "took care of business"
6) This plane, initially, took heavy losses in combat. It's mission change ended the huge losses issue and made it a viable combat aircraft
7) From this plane's deployment to it's mission change, only 9 months had elapsed
8) Even with the mission change, this plane was only used in combat for 3 years
Good Luck

I had intended to sit this one out, but I just don't seem to be able to resist a good question. How about the turret fighters; either the Boulton Paul Defiant, or it's Fleet Air Arm counterpart, the Blackburn Roc? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Boulton Paul Defiant was a British interceptor aircraft that served with the Royal Air Force (RAF) during World War II. The Defiant was designed and built by Boulton Paul Aircraft as a "turret fighter", without any forward-firing guns, a concept successfully used in the First World War-era Bristol F.2 Fighter and also implemented by the Royal Navy's Blackburn Roc.In combat, the Defiant was found to be reasonably effective at its intended task of destroying bombers but was vulnerable to the Luftwaffe's more manoeuvrable, single-seat Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters.

The lack of forward-firing armament proved to be a great weakness in daylight combat and its potential was realised only when it was converted to
night fighting
. It was supplanted in the night fighter role by the Bristol Beaufighter and de Havilland Mosquito. The Defiant found use in gunnery training, target towing, electronic countermeasures and air-sea rescue. Among RAF pilots it had the nickname "Daffy".

The Blackburn B-25 Roc was a BritishSecond World War-era Fleet Air Armfighter aircraft designed by Blackburn Aircraft Ltd. It took its name from the mythical bird of the tales of the Arabian Nights, the Roc. Derived from the Blackburn Skua and developed in parallel, the Roc had its armament in a turret. The Roc came to be viewed as inferior to existing aircraft such as the Skua and the type had only brief front line service.

Hydro Junkie 09-18-2017 11:30 AM

And the Defiant it is. So , what gave it away, just out of curiosity?
Time to go over the clues:
1) This plane had a very distinctive shape The turret gave the plane a "camel-backed" appearance
2) This plane had a crew of two(not four like my beloved Prowlers) It was manned by a pilot and turret gunner
3) This plane had a single engine, using the same engine as several other more famous aircraft It was powered by the Merlin
4) This plane had a flaw in it's design that resulted in it's being assigned to a different type of combat mission than it was originally planned to perform Lack of forward firing fixed guns made the plane an easy mark for the German ME/BF-109 pilots when attacking from the front
5) This plane, like the big four engine bombers, was flown by a pilot who was, more or less, just a chauffeur for the other crewman, the person that really "took care of business" The "big four engine bombers" were the Lancaster, B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator, narrowing down the search to WWII
6) This plane, initially, took heavy losses in combat. It's mission change ended the huge losses issue and made it a viable combat aircraft It was converted to a night fighter
7) From this plane's deployment to it's mission change, only 9 months had elapsed It was deployed to front line squadrons in December 1939 and pulled from service the first time in August 1940
8) Even with the mission change, this plane was only used in combat for 3 years It was finally retired from combat in 1942 though some were used through the war to pull airborne targets or drop life boats in the air/sea rescue role

I guess this means Ernie's up

Ernie P. 09-18-2017 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12368808)
And the Defiant it is. So , what gave it away, just out of curiosity?
Time to go over the clues:
1) This plane had a very distinctive shape The turret gave the plane a "camel-backed" appearance
2) This plane had a crew of two(not four like my beloved Prowlers) It was manned by a pilot and turret gunner
3) This plane had a single engine, using the same engine as several other more famous aircraft It was powered by the Merlin
4) This plane had a flaw in it's design that resulted in it's being assigned to a different type of combat mission than it was originally planned to perform Lack of forward firing fixed guns made the plane an easy mark for the German ME/BF-109 pilots when attacking from the front
5) This plane, like the big four engine bombers, was flown by a pilot who was, more or less, just a chauffeur for the other crewman, the person that really "took care of business" The "big four engine bombers" were the Lancaster, B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator, narrowing down the search to WWII
6) This plane, initially, took heavy losses in combat. It's mission change ended the huge losses issue and made it a viable combat aircraft It was converted to a night fighter
7) From this plane's deployment to it's mission change, only 9 months had elapsed It was deployed to front line squadrons in December 1939 and pulled from service the first time in August 1940
8) Even with the mission change, this plane was only used in combat for 3 years It was finally retired from combat in 1942 though some were used through the war to pull airborne targets or drop life boats in the air/sea rescue role

I guess this means Ernie's up

Hydro Junkie; To answer your question, the first four clues started to narrow the field. The fifth question locked it in. I held off answering, but you already know how weak I am. I'll have something tomorrow. Thanks; Ernie P.

Hydro Junkie 09-18-2017 10:35 PM

Ernie, that's what I had hoped would happen. I only had another day or two and I would have had to turn this one over to someone else to finish. Glad my plan worked and that you liked the quiz

Ernie P. 09-19-2017 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12368941)
Ernie, that's what I had hoped would happen. I only had another day or two and I would have had to turn this one over to someone else to finish. Glad my plan worked and that you liked the quiz

Hydro Junkie; I definitely liked it. And that clue was like snapping a fly in front of a hungry trout. Good job. Thanks; Ernie P.

This one should be pretty easy. I rejected my first thought, because it would be too hard; simply not available from Google. The next one didn't have much info available. This is my third choice and it should be pretty easy for this group of experts. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

Clues:1. This aircraft was primarily utilized as a trainer.

Hydro Junkie 09-19-2017 06:38 PM

Okay, let's get the obvious out of the way:
T-6 Texan/AT-6 Harvard

Ernie P. 09-19-2017 07:18 PM

Hydro Junkie; you may consider that aircraft to be out of the way. But you did earn another clue with your participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
1. This aircraft was primarily utilized as a trainer.

2. It was often referred to by a particular name; although that name properly belonged to an earlier model of the plane.

Ernie P. 09-20-2017 01:43 AM

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?Clues:

2. It was often referred to by a particular name; although that name properly belonged to an earlier model of the plane.

3. The first aircraft of this type was actually purchased by the navy.

Ernie P. 09-20-2017 10:51 AM

And yet another clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

4. Used by both the army and navy.

Hydro Junkie 09-20-2017 11:02 PM

How about the SBC Helldiver?

Ernie P. 09-21-2017 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12369532)
How about the SBC Helldiver?

Hydro Junkie; I don't think the Helldiver qualifies as a trainer. But here's another clue to narrow your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

5. A high scoring ace was trained on, among others, this aircraft.

Ernie P. 09-21-2017 01:17 PM

An evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

Ram-bro 09-21-2017 02:50 PM

pt-17

Ernie P. 09-21-2017 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ram-bro (Post 12369715)
pt-17

Not the Stearman, Ram-bro; although the Stearman is still a great plane. My bride and I have both been up in one recently. You're more than twenty years off; but here's another clue to help out. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

7. More than 100 were produced; quite a number for the time.

Ernie P. 09-22-2017 12:55 AM

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

daniberry 09-22-2017 01:36 AM

its a small telescope lol

Ernie P. 09-22-2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by daniberry (Post 12369787)
its a small telescope lol

Sorry, Sir; but you're a bit off base. Maybe this will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

9. Early experiments with firing a machine gun utilized this aircraft.

Ernie P. 09-23-2017 04:47 AM

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

10. In earlier models of this aircraft, seating was a bit Spartan.

Ernie P. 09-23-2017 10:37 AM

Another clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

11. This model provided a nacelle, where the instructor and student still sat side by side.

Ernie P. 09-24-2017 01:03 PM

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

11. This model provided a nacelle, where the instructor and student still sat side by side.

12. Earlier models had wings of equal span; though later models had extensions to the top wing.

Ernie P. 09-25-2017 05:44 AM

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

12. Earlier models had wings of equal span; though later models had extensions to the top wing.

13. Main landing gear had four wheels.

Ernie P. 09-25-2017 10:09 AM

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

14. Twin rudders.

Ram-bro 09-25-2017 02:37 PM

had to have been the wright model B

Ernie P. 09-25-2017 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ram-bro (Post 12370759)
had to have been the wright model B

Nah; you missed the mark on that answer. But here's a bonus clue for trying, Ram-bro. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

14. Twin rudders.

15. Four parallel beams.

Ernie P. 09-26-2017 06:22 AM

Clues:

6. He was in the navy.

8. Tandem seating.

14. Twin rudders.

15. Four parallel beams.

16. Two from each wing.