RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM F4U Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9664536-esm-f4u-build.html)

oldtimer4759 07-06-2015 04:45 PM

hi, bad news about your crash, a flap letting go will do that, I have the 85 in version now, very nice to fly, great all round model, but there is always that bit about the flaps in the back of my mind, this version has 2 servo´s on each side, going to have to double check them before each flight.
I agree with what you say about ESM, they just dont seem to be interested, the models must be just a small side line, service is pathetic, dealership is even worse, lack of interest in after sales, it is a pity, because they look good and fly well (once they are sorted out)
several people have had problems with the centre section on the larger kit, I beefed mine up before I flew it, came in at 15kg, but is not a problem flying, just lifting it.
Oldtimer.

ALFIEV 07-06-2015 04:51 PM

Cheers oldtimer. Am fairly philosophical about it. Was thinking of trying to get another wing anyways. Miracle that the fuselage escaped in such good nick!! Have thought of getting a Douglas Dauntless if I cant get the Corsair. I am limited to this wingspan fairly much, because I don't want to buy another powerplant.

badazzgti03 08-10-2015 08:06 AM

Whats up everyone!! I recently picked up one of these and was a tad concerned..i see someone threw a satio 200R3 in this thing and I have one and it has been gas converted and hope it fits under the cowl with the spark plug wires. Where can i get a scale tail wheel retract unit fr this thing??? the one that comes with this just looks cheap!

ALFIEV 08-10-2015 11:42 AM

Yep, the tailgear wire is a bit lightweight, mine bends on most landings so that the tailwheel rubs on the fuselage tailcone. I bend it straight and fly again.:o Just be aware that any modified tailwheel assembly will probably add weight, and this model already requires a lump of lead up front. There are postings in this thread about changing out the tailgear, some fitted retracting gear. A long time ago I read fairly much the whole thread, I'm not going to do it again, but feel free to spend some time going through it, it may answer your question.
Good luck!!

tevans55 08-11-2015 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by badazzgti03 (Post 12082451)
Whats up everyone!! I recently picked up one of these and was a tad concerned..i see someone threw a satio 200R3 in this thing and I have one and it has been gas converted and hope it fits under the cowl with the spark plug wires. Where can i get a scale tail wheel retract unit fr this thing??? the one that comes with this just looks cheap!

Earl Aune has a great tail wheel for this plane (74") and the large ESM Corsair. They are not inexpensive but they give your plane that unique Corsair tail wheel. Here is mine installed. Don't worry about weight the plane can handle it easily. You can order this tail wheel from [email protected].

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2113992http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2113993

ALFIEV 08-11-2015 05:30 PM

Nice looking tailgear!
How is your 74" Cosair going? Mine is laid up waiting for a replacement wing. Looks like I will try to buy a whole kit, the price is not much different. I think I will open up the center wing section and strengthen the bejeesus out of it. Don't want cracking in the leading edge as I had with the first one. God I wish ESM has better distribution and after market back-up. Did I say better? Well, it's non-existent as far as after sales back-up goes!!!!:rolleyes:

tevans55 08-12-2015 06:07 AM

Thanks. Mine is flying great. I noticed the skin on the center section was softening in the sun so I filled the down wing area in the front with spray foam insulation. That has work very well.

badazzgti03 08-12-2015 11:18 AM

Tail wheel retract looks great!!! just email him. Thanks for the info.

ALFIEV 08-12-2015 11:24 AM

Yeah, have thought about expanding foam in the leading edge where it's hard to get any additional structure in. Thanks for the tip!!

badazzgti03 12-23-2015 08:46 AM

Okay...So my kit did not come with the plastic piece that mounts the wire/rod for the tail gear and rudder...and seems like I have no way of getting it...I guess I have to design and 3D print one...grrr

ALFIEV 12-23-2015 08:55 AM

Yeah, my kit (bought for the wing but had to buy the whole kit) was missing the screws for the flap hinges, had zero control rods and no wires for the flaps
I had forgotten what a complete PITA rigging these flaps is. Will not buy another ESM model!'
Cost me an arm and a leg to get this from the States. Couldn't get one from anywhere else.
I think I have the piece you need. I could post it to you
If you want you can PM me your address.

badazzgti03 12-23-2015 09:09 AM

ALFIEV
No worries i'm making one in CAD now. But yeah for the price of this ARF...the quality is not there more of a hobby king/CMP quality....I did the flap mod on mine the wires are BS for the flaps. Installed sierra retracts as well. they have the down and locked electric conversion to them. I think those gear door strut covers are a joke just a cut flat piece of plywood that don't lay flat when the gear is retract. Also have a gas converted Saito 200R3 already installed. Ya this is my first and will be my last and final ESM kit!

ALFIEV 12-23-2015 05:20 PM

O.K that's fine.
Oh yeah... ESM didn't put the tubes in the flaps for the wires to go into on the inboard flap both sides. Had to drill and fit plastic tubes. I can do it, but shouldnt have to.
A real shame, a bit of QC, a few tweeks on their designs and a decent distribution network and I reckon they could do good business.
Oh well.....

ALFIEV 12-25-2015 03:47 PM

So...got to fly the corsair after a 6 month wait. Needed a new wing, couldn't buy one, had to buy a whole kit, waited months for one to become available, cost huge to freight from USA, struggled to rig flaps again.....

And.......it flew really well!!!:D It really is a nice model to fly!!

LDM 12-25-2015 04:36 PM

Good for you my friend , I am really glad it turned out well !

drube 01-07-2017 01:43 PM

Hey guys! I see this thread has been quiet for a while. I seen this plane was finally back in stock so I got one. Not sure when i'll build it though with moving and all. Still doing research on it for now and will probably run a DLE 35 RA.

Saillfish 01-07-2017 05:16 PM

I have the dle35ra in mine. go with sierra gear. its a heavy plane but flies and lands great.

LDM 01-09-2017 08:32 PM

Sailfish Do you suggest Gas over electric considering the plane may need some nose weight ? I know the DLE35 will not be a simple bolt on because the rails are designed for glow type engines ( if I recall ) .

Saillfish 01-09-2017 09:46 PM

LDM, the corsair does not have rails. It is a flat firewall and the dle35ra has standoff s that fit perfectly. The engine fits the cowl great. You do have to add alot of weight. Something like a pound or more, I don't recall. But all esm birds are like that. It still flies wonderful and lands slow and nicely. This aircraft is a keeper.

LDM 01-10-2017 03:55 AM

Sailfish , my bad I know the ESM corsair does not have rails, I have it and I am planning my next assembly , I thought I was answering the CMP BF109 thread and most have gotten my paths crossed .I think the CMP BF109 has wood rails and was designed for a 4 stroke 140 to 180 , so conversion to gas or epower was going to be more challenging.

TA152 01-22-2017 04:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Just finishing my corsair now, but the ESM retracts is just junk. Leaking in the cylinders. Will go for some electric. How is the new one from ESM ?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2197658http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2197659http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2197660http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2197661

Saillfish 01-22-2017 05:36 AM

Avoid anything ESM on gear. Sierra and Century jet make gear. The first being the best option.

TA152 01-22-2017 06:01 AM

I have Sierra on my Bf110 and Fw190 but it's almost impossible to get spareparts.

LDM 01-22-2017 10:09 AM

Thomas from VQ is selling the Sierra , ESM Version 4 electric retracts and all parts support. I have the Sierra gear and the disappointing thing about the Sierra is that the gear stated for the ESM corsair is the same gear sold for 65" planes. My point while Sierra is the best I think the gear legs could have been longer for the 75" Corsair.
As far as electric version from esm, the originals released by under Troy Build models went thru version 1, 2 , 2.5 , 3 ect and now thru VQ you have version 4 .
There's some good things about the esm retracts, for one the retract board is separate and most of us who know electric retracts know the #1 point of failure is the board when located on the retracts.
So my point is email or call Thomas , I do trust his word, if he says they are good then they are good .
I am not sure if I will use the Sierra or the esm 3.5 electric but I have both options in my possession.
I would steer clear of CJ , I have about 5 sets and I like the gear but they have some major weak points that easily bend under pressure.
Robart Air powered , I like Robart but the 1/5 scale rotating gear is too large , the 615 are too small and the electric gear is plagued with problems .
I cant believe Tower continues to push these as there suggested supplier for kit options.

Saillfish 01-24-2017 05:46 AM

LDM, your clearly up to speed on gear. I agree with your reply.