RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   NEW Top Flight P-40??? 1/5 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9685029-new-top-flight-p-40-1-5-scale.html)

handyman 220 08-03-2012 05:17 PM

RE: NEW Top Flight P-40??? 1/5 scale

ROFLMAO:)

n8622t 08-03-2012 05:21 PM

I used to keep spare screws in those little cans for use at the field...they are all gone:(

handyman 220 08-03-2012 05:24 PM

Had about a dozen myself, don't know where they all disappeared to. :eek:

elmshoot 08-05-2012 06:50 PM

My flight report:
Today was our club picnic. I showed up late as I got held up at church and arrived after all the food was cooked but plenty of leftovers were had. I had done a static test run, fixed a few issues from before so I was ready to fly I ran her up everything sounded good and looked good. I was flying without the cowl so I had bolted a 12OZ hunk of lead to the firewall to replace the missing cowl. First flight went well I was running the DA60 rich and flew for about 8 minutes. At the stall the right wind would drop, landing without the flaps. Approach speed and landing was stupid slow. Just great results. My spotter said he saw something fall from the plane during the flight. I started to look the plane over. The 12OZ lead weight had fallen off the front of the plane so I was flying it "tail heavy" but I didn't think it was sensitive in pitch at all. We checked the glitch counter to make sure all the satellite receivers were working fine. One would get relocated when back at the shop.

A gas up and off I went on flight two I went in just a little on the high speed needle. After about 6 minutes the engine was getting unstable like it was going lean in the climbs and under load. I decided that i would land and check things out. I was a little too fast on the first approach and elected to go around and on the missed approach at 35 feet the engine went dead. I started a dead stick back to the runway and decided to try a 360 from that altitude to land back into the wind at about 300 degrees around the approach it stalled and hit nose first shattering the fuse fwd of the wing. I should have landed down wind. Nothing wrong with the plane just me making a bad decision in the heat of battle. I will let it sit for a while and evaluate if I want to rebuild, replace or just junk. The wing is in pretty good shape retracts are fine. I didn't break the prop! The crap glue they use in these planes is evident as well as the liteply which breaks like it is brittle.
I will let it sit for a few weeks for now. If it requires an extensive rework I will glass it and paint it pink like the North Africa P-40 or more correctly the tribute P-40 that was flown in honor for the WASPs flown in the 70's I think the plane is at The Zoo in Michigan.

Post crash analysis: It appears the fuel line pickup inside the tank came off despite they fact It has a barb and wire clips. Thus the reason the engine was going lean under load was the plane was nose up and starving for fuel and going lean. On the go around the fuel sloshed to the rear of the tank the engine starved for fuel and I failed to do pilot stuff to save the plane. The slightly aft CG might have been a contributing factor but I really don't think it affected the outcome.
Sparky

ROGER RUSSELL 08-06-2012 04:59 AM

Has anyone noticed or looked at the gas tank mounting, lets call it F-2.
I have looked in there and the plywood F-2 looks like it is rubbing a groove into the gas tank.
Can not see the top of the tank and do not know if doing on top also.
Not sure if this would continue to wear and cause a leak?
Thanks

warhawk demon 08-06-2012 05:27 AM

Hey... Elmshoot you can buy a replacment fuse from Tower

dasintex 08-06-2012 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

I have looked in there and the plywood F-2 looks like it is rubbing a groove into the gas tank.
Thanks
That's not good, it's been a practice of mine as a lot of ARF's are like this, that I split some tubing and place on the edge of the formers that hold the tanks to prevent the former from rubbing on the tanks, I always felt that the formers could rub a hole through the tanks because of the vibrations.

ROGER RUSSELL 08-06-2012 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: dasintex

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

Thanks
That's not good, it's been a practice of mine as a lot of ARF's are like this, that I split some tubing and place on the edge of the formers that hold the tanks to prevent the former from rubbing on the tanks, I always felt that the formers could rub a hole through the tanks because of the vibrations.
Not a bad idea, just like we do around our cans/mufflers on the 35%er.
I slid some 1/16" lite ply between the F-2 and bottom of tank (did not glue inYET) and the pieces vibrated out in one flight, will pull tank out and do the tubing and or glue in the lite ply on all four corners holding the tank in

Thanks

n8622t 08-06-2012 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hate to here about it elmshoot...one little thing can cause us all so much agony[:@] BUT...we keep going cause we love it;)

Jimmy

elmshoot 08-06-2012 01:24 PM

Thanks guys, I will let it sit for while. The other thing I thought was that the engine was rather loud with the j tec muffler. Is there something quieter? I guess I should look at the DA website. Lord knows there is a butt ton of room in the cowl. I know some of you guys like them a little noisy, I was just thinking my impression is it is a bit too much if you want loud I have a really noisy plane how about 200 cc on glow with headers only?
Sparky

Kelly 09-06-2012 07:09 AM

Hey guys, looking for a little help in this tread. I know the Jtech muffler attachment issues (not being able to keep the dang thing attached) has been addressed. Just curious, has anyone found a fool proof method to keep the screws from backing out. I have tried Red, White, Blue, High Heat Proof, lock-tite, several other thread lockers, wired down bolts, and several other voodoo techniques, all to no avail. If you know where in this thread this info is located, it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. Next move is to weld the thing on!

show871 09-06-2012 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Kelly

Hey guys, looking for a little help in this tread. I know the Jtech muffler attachment issues (not being able to keep the dang thing attached) has been addressed. Just curious, has anyone found a fool proof method to keep the screws from backing out. I have tried Red, White, Blue, High Heat Proof, lock-tite, several other thread lockers, wired down bolts, and several other voodoo techniques, all to no avail. If you know where in this thread this info is located, it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. Next move is to weld the thing on!
Pull the cowl off, put high temp red locktite on the bolts mount the muffler immediately start the engine and heat things up nicely. Then re-tourque bolts with them hot at operating temp.

Tourque the bolts hot, the metals react to heat differently so you need to torque them hot.

n8622t 09-12-2012 08:56 PM

It's in the thread....drill the screw heads 3/32 and use SS safety wire :)

n8622t 09-12-2012 09:04 PM

I'll post you a pic when I get home this afternoon

n8622t 09-12-2012 09:16 PM

Gotto pg 39 post #960 :)

warhawk demon 09-13-2012 05:54 AM

Has anyone experimitted with using more flaps than the 21/2 inches recomended?

n8622t 09-13-2012 03:39 PM

yep...i got em set as far as they will go and its not a real good ideal ;)

ChrisK-RCU 09-13-2012 05:21 PM

I just noticed tower dropped the price of the P-40 to $481.81.

radfordc 09-13-2012 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a set of ESM retracts for the 87" P-40 hoping they might fit into my 82" Skyshark P-40...but it's not going to work. Anyone interested in a set of NIB retracts at a good price?

elmshoot 09-13-2012 08:36 PM

Why don't they fit?
what sort of number are you thinking about?
Sparky

warhawk demon 09-14-2012 04:07 AM

What does it do.. mine just dont slow down enouph.

radfordc 09-14-2012 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: elmshoot

Why don't they fit?
what sort of number are you thinking about?
Sparky
They are just too big for the Skyshark P-40 wing. $375...this is much cheaper than Robart or Sierra

elmshoot 09-14-2012 05:16 AM

Can you give me the dimensions of the mount or direct me to some place on the internet that has them posted.
Sparky

radfordc 09-14-2012 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are pics with a ruler to show dimensions.

affas 09-14-2012 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a midair during formation flight in Warbirdweekend here in Norway. The tail hit the river but the rest of the plane hit some trees and was luckily found 5cm from the water more or less without damage.
Bought a new kit and the fuselage is now ready. Doing some weathering and ready to go. First layer is complete, brown and then it will be a layer with black smoke color on top.

Great flying machine with RCGF 55 and a Toni Clark exhaust with nice sound.