Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Foam Warship, a new addition to Combat Class!

Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Foam Warship, a new addition to Combat Class!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
nwcafesurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Warship, a new addition to Combat Class!

Class synopsis:
A “combat class” warship made of wood & Styrofoam and armed with airsoft turrets. The ships don’t sink but the damage is real; aluminum foil panels are fitted to the superstructure and above the waterline. Hits are tallied at the end of the match and a winner is declared.
Sounds like fun but not convinced?
The benefits of this class over traditional “combat class” warships are many. Consider this; airsoft pellets are somewhat safer than ball bearings, and some are biodegradable. The materials used in construction are less expensive & easy to work with and repair (see plans below). Yes, part of the fun of “combat class” is watching your adversary plunge beneath the waves. But a foam battleship (aka foamie) is an excellent entry-level alternative.

Construction:
Two “proof of concept” prototypes are currently under construction. I have selected the 1:144 scale and have chosen the Japanese Mikasa and Russian Suvorov (both early Dreadnoughts that fought against each other in the battle of Tsushima). So far it’s going well; I have the frames built, and the decks are varnished. For the foam, I’m currently using one from Michaels; it’s more ridged than insulation foam but is a bit delicate & needs a protective coating.

That's all I got for now, hope to post more pictures soon!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Foam Warship, a new addition to Combat Class!

keep us posted i like to see how this comes out.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 PM
nwcafesurfer

Thanks, will do

Need recommendations for a coating to protect the foam, any ideas?
Also looking for a few good pics of the Borodino Class superstructure.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Dust tape Then layer it with fiberglass. cheap but effective. lol
Old 11-13-2010, 03:52 AM
kotori

Hi nwcafesurfer,

I have detailed digital plans for both Mikasa and Borodino class. I also have a highly detailed set of CAD-modeled hull lines for the Borodino. Just drop me a PM with your email and I will send them to you. Hopefully that will help you make more accurate ships. I have uploaded a preview of the CAD-modeled Borodino hull lines.

On your proposal: have you considered using 6mm paintballs? I do not see much point to using solid airsoft rounds and aluminum foil, since repairs will still take a lot of effort and you lose the benefits of steel shot, balsa armor, and sinking. By using paintballs, you can reduce "repairs" to simply wiping off the paint marks, while still using inexpensive RC tank airsoft cannons.

BTW, were you aware that I am building a Mikasa as well? Below you can see a few photos of my progress so far. I had not originally planned to post details of my build on the RC Universe forum, but I just might now that I know there are other people here who share my fascination with that particular period of history.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:32 PM
nwcafesurfer

Outstanding, It is a very interesting period in history, certainly worth modeling. I will consider your recommendation for paintballs.
Your progress on the Mikasa looks amazing, it will be difficult to live up to your level of detail.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Keri Morgret

This is certainly an interesting idea. It's refreshing to see a new idea that doesn't involve rocket launchers or firecrackers. =]
Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 PM
nwcafesurfer

Ok, here are a few more photos.
I shaped the foam and installed some of the electronics. To the left you can see the recess for the aluminum foil panels (this wasdone before I was recommended paint balls). To the right you can see the notch cut for the rudder linkage. I’m using Gorilla Glue on the foam, so far so good. EDIT:Iintend to keep the foam removable, at least untill Iget the details figured out.
Questions:
- I’m concerned that with this battery/motor I will end up traveling too fast. Is there a way to limit the speed, like installing a resistor or something? My ESC is a Pro Boat waterproof 12V (model: PBR2314).
- Similar question, is there a simple way to slow the rate of fire of the airsoft guns? Last thing I want is them blasting away rapid fire
Next up, I will begin constructing the turrets & hope to get it in the water for an initial trial. I have purchased several clear airsoft guns and hope to cut away unnecessary material in an effort to fit two side-by-side in an inverted plastic bowel.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
kotori

If you're travelling too fast, there are a number of ways to limit your speed. Obviously changing to a lower-voltage battery will slow you down. Another way is to dial down the throttle end-point-adjust (EPA) feature of your radio.

For the whole airsoft rate-of-fire thingy, I would think your best bet is to buy airsoft guns that only fire once per pull of the trigger. Barring that, you can use RC tank airsoft cannons, or build your own using plumbing fittings and air valves. If you need directions for building your own cannons, I can help.