Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Looking for first ship in 1/144 big gun combat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Looking for first ship in 1/144 big gun combat

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 PM
will_teare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for first ship in 1/144 big gun combat

I would like to get started in model warship combat and people have said that the best boat to start with is a heavy cruiser or battle cruiser. Does anyone know where I could pick up one of these second hand or cheaply new. A Portland or Des Moines US cruiser would be ideal or though any cruiser is fine.
I have uploaded pictures of the Portland and Des Moines.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36539.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	536404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36064.gif
Views:	1366
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	536405  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 AM
johnmCA72

Default RE: Looking to buy Heavy/Battle cruiser 1/144 scale

ORIGINAL: will_teare

I would like to get started in model warship combat and people have said that the best boat to start with is a heavy cruiser or battle cruiser. Does anyone know where I could pick up one of these second hand or cheaply new. A Portland or Des Moines US cruiser would be ideal or though any cruiser is fine.
I have uploaded pictures of the Portland and Des Moines.
Thanks
Be aware of the format where you'll be fighting. While that recommendation has been around for a long time in the small gun format, I think most in Big Gun consider any kind of cruiser to be a tough ship to run & not recommended as a 1st ship. I, for one, applied the small gun advice to the Big Gun format & wasn't entirely pleased. Big Gun ships are often considerably more complex than their small gun counterparts, & it can be a challenge to fit everything you need into a narrow cruiser hull. There are a lot of Big Gunners in Australia - I'm not sure about small - & you should check with somebody local, where you'll actually be fighting.

JM

Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
will_teare

Thanks. I found a SMS seydlitz on ebay for $300 aud. It still needs weapons but i figured out it wiould cost 600au all up. Is this a good ship to start? If so how many cannons and what type would i need? The 600$ figure came from 2x75 round rotating coil cannons and 2x75 round straight fixed cannons from battlers connection.

Name:	Ay75078.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	536606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90647.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	536607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29456.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	536608  
Old 10-07-2006, 05:06 PM
johnmCA72

Thanks. I found a SMS seydlitz on ebay for $300 aud. It still needs weapons but i figured out it wiould cost 600au all up. Is this a good ship to start? If so how many cannons and what type would i need? The 600$ figure came from 2x75 round rotating coil cannons and 2x75 round straight fixed cannons from battlers connection.
That's definitely a small gun ship. If that's what you want to do, it might be OK. I'd still check with the guys that you're planning to fight with (& against). They'll be able to tell you what works with their group. In this & other online forums, you'll find a lot of people that fight in many formats. What's good in one isn't necessarily good in another.

JM

Old 10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
will_teare

The clubs near me are all "Big Gun" 1/144th scale. Is there anywhere i can pick up a second hand one or new kit cheaply? Preferably in Australia
Old 10-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Wreno

The Australian Battle Group frequenly lists ships for sale in its newslatters to members. Have you tried networking theough the www.ausbg.org web site?

Wreno
Old 10-08-2006, 03:30 AM
will_teare

Default RE: Looking for first ship in 1/144 big gun combat

I have agreed to buy a south dakota batle ship from the sydney branch of the ausbg. Is 1.4m long and has 2x 3 barrel rotating guns and 1x 3 barrel fixed gun. Have included pictures below

Name:	Pn36810.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	536934   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43121.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	536935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74903.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	536936  
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 AM
johnmCA72

I have agreed to buy a south dakota batle ship from the sydney branch of the ausbg. Is 1.4m long and has 2x 3 barrel rotating guns and 1x 3 barrel fixed gun. Have included pictures below
I'd call that an excellent choice, for several reasons (& probably some that I haven't bothered to list):
[ul][*] In general, battleships provide a lot of space to work with inside.[*] That particular class, though not the fastest, has about the best maneuverability for a ship that size, which can be very nice in combat.[*] It's big enough that it can soak up a fair amount of damage & have someplace to put the water before it sinks (unlike a cruiser).[*] It comes from within your local combat group, so there's some assurance that it's been built to spec. for the local club.
[/ul]
Congratulations, & I hope you enjoy this ship as well as the sport for a long time!

JM

Old 10-11-2006, 02:02 AM
will_teare

Thanks for all your help, Will
Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
barnstormerboats

Hey, That boat is sinking in 2 of the three pics you posted and pumping like crazy in the other. I hope you get some better pics of this boat. Maybe cruising past some other unfortunate ship that you just blasted to Davy Jones' locker. LOL.

Good luck and good hunting.