RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

5' pt boat

Old 10-29-2006, 05:17 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 5' pt boat

hi guys
i am scatch building a 5' pt boat ,need to know what kind of elections ,motors, batterys, radio, esc etc ,i found johnson drill motors on e-bay 6-12 volt will 2 of them work out for this boat it big and heavy build out of 1/8 ply and glass and painted thanks for any kind of help you can give me rye
Old 10-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Wreno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 5' pt boat

Lots of 5' and 6' battleships go just fine on 550 or 600 series motors (may be similar to what you are talking about), but you need to be careful about the gearing. If the drill motors you are considering are geared, they may be geared too much. You want something more in the neighborhood of 3:1 or 5:1 than, say, 200:1.

A Traxxas Villain gearbox might be a decent choice for you, as it takes standard, inexpensive, 550 series motors, and you can adjust the gear ratio pretty easily if needed. If the spacing is wrong for your shafts, you can cut the mounting plade in two and space them how you want.

Good luck with your project.

Wreno
NTXBG
[link=http://www.ntxbg.org]www.ntxbg.org[/link]
Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM
jkotlanger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am glad someone is doing a PT boat. I am building a 48 inch boat using a framing kit from John Drain in Australia. The hull came out beautifully, but I did have a few problems mounting the stuffing boxes. I am running three Graupner Speed 600 motors. Would have like to use gear boxes but it didn't fit with the motor mounting configuration which is a shame since the boat hull actually looks like the real thing. I am powering the boat with 3 battery packs comprised of 10 DCell batteries each. The batteries packs are rated at 12V10AmH each. We have calculated that it should give us about 1 hour run time http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...S&Category=904. I have had many discussions with people on this website and opted for three separate speed controlers. I had a hard time finding anything but expensive Castles but eventually settled on some one that I got through the internet that have a 70AmH rating forward and a 30Amh rating backward. They were significantly cheaper than that recommended by people on this website and in some test actually performed better than what they supplier stated. With a major motor like a drill motor you will draw more amps so you need to really sit down and think this out. How many motors will you run? What size prop are you planning for? What is the Amp draw of each motor? What type of drive system are you planning? What type of Batteries are you planning to use? I can't wait to hear you answers since they might give me clues into what I should be doing. I do know that John Drain has designed his 48 incher to handle a zenoaha engine (www.pt-boats.com).. He also has some serious designs for the guns and torpedos. We have already tested his torpedo design in the pool and they really work well. Good luck. Please keep in contact as you build this. My goal was to do it totally electric, but I might be interested in moving to fuel if yours works well. I will try to put some pictures of my completed hull with drive, power, battery and control systems on the wed in the near future.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:57 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I WAS THINKING THE SAME THINK ABOUT THE VILLIAN GEAR BOX AND MAYBE A BIGGER MOTOR 600 OR 700? ,I MAY EVEN RUN 3 MOTORS ,THE MIDDLE ONE FOR REV ,I AM STILL IN THE PLANNING PART I SEND THE PLANS OUT TO BE LAZER CUT FOR THE DECK HOUSES AND OTHER DECK THINGS AND GOING TO USE 1/8 AIRPLANE PLYWOOD THAT I USE TO BUILD MY RC PLANES FOR THE DECK PLATE AND SIDES ,ITS MUCH EASYER TO HAVE THE RIBS AND HOUSE CUT BY LAZERS I FOUND OUT AND THE COST IS NOT BAD AT ALL MY GUY IS //www.precision-laser.us/index.html I ALL READY GOT THE SCALE GUNS AT
http://www.floatingdrydock.com/fittings.htm#HR GOING TO MAKE THE GUN HOLDERS AND TOEPEOS OUT OF PVC WHEN I START ILL KEEP THIS WEB PAGE UP DATED THANKS RYE PS THIS BOAT IS 1/16 SCALE ANY IDEA WHERE I CAN GET GUYS ,AND ARE THEY ABOUT 12" TALL? I THEN CAN USE GI-JOES?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 AM
herrmill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Am curious, but are these PT boats meant for warship combat firing BBs or are for scale builds?

I don't build for battle myself, but would be interested in seeing high speed BB or firing PT boats with torps! Paintball torpedos anyone?

Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 AM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can tell you what I wound up with in a 8' ---------1/8" plywood built hull. And I had to remove a 15# trolling boatmotor because it was too weak.

Your ballasted down weight will suprise you. I weigh 90#. Have a 41 # thrust trolling motor and 2---5.5" x 5.5" pitch 5 bladed props to get on plane. They are driven at a 1.5 step up ratio to plane the boat.

You might be 45 to 50#.

These boats EAT power to move. I suggest when the hull is waterproofed you load it down with fist sized stones to the water line. tie a heavy line to a clamp in the bow and 50' away in another real boat you attach a fish scale to measure the pound readings as you get it up to a good looking speed.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 AM
martno1fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rye stay away from johnson motors they are cheap and nasty and eat amps they will crash and burn trust me my mate bought two and they lasted all of 5 minuites in his 4 ft RTTL which is the vosper hard chined hull used for most pt boats.these johnsons rev very high but they dont like turning boat props they just blow everything the esc the motors themselves ,they are junk trust me .far better to go with a good make of motor like graupners or similar that way you know the full specs of the motors unlike most of these johnsons.better to get a motor designed to run in a boat than buy one designed for a drill or anything else.by the way the johnsons he got were off ebay and rated at between 6 and 12 volts,he was running two 8.4 nicad packs.i also know of several other guys who had the same opinions on the johnsons having had the same happen to them,heres a link to them are these the ones you were looking at?.[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Johnson-6-12v-Motor-New_W0QQitemZ250044186424QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2564QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rye.

1/16 people of 5' 6" = 3.75" tall.

My 1/10 are all star Wars crew people. About 5" to 6".

Try not to use any PVC. It is very heavy. I had to scrap turret tubs, torpedos and torpedo tubes of it.

I got some scrap kitchen cabinet veneers scraps from a custom cabinet place and rolled them and glued them with plastic and clothes pins.

Yes you can launch the torpedos out the tubes with a servo and a 1" diameter spring behind it.

If you go to the later roll off racks , piece of cake.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys
atfer talking to you all and e-mail graupners-still waiting for a anwer but i may go gas,it will cut weight and cost? now can i still use a revser ,do i need a esc etc i am new with boats ,i think it the same as rc planes set up ? thanks rye
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey thanks cyclops2 i am going to use this idea rye
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I first put in a 66cc chainsaw engine with a handmade electric starter I controlled from the transmitter. It worked great. What about REVERSE? That is when I switched to trolling motors mounted inside the hull. F N R piece of cake. No gas or oil mess either. 5' and larger models are not models. They are small boats.

Remember this name if you want enough prop size to plane the boat. The PROP SHOP in England.
It has a web site. I only use their props because they are perfect--4 years ago.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 AM
martno1fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gas would be a great way to go power wise and its easyer than electric to set up in some respects but as said you wont have reverse!!.also gas is messy and you would need quite an expensive engine as it would need to be water cooled as its running below decks so no air flow!!.a zen 260 gpum would be a good motor for scale like speeds and above ,even a homelite would be ok if its water cooled.good tip on the prop shop heres a link to the site!!.
[link]http://www.britnett.net/propshop/[/link]
Old 10-31-2006, 09:46 AM
johnmCA72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rye

hey guys
atfer talking to you all and e-mail graupners-still waiting for a anwer but i may go gas,it will cut weight and cost? now can i still use a revser ,do i need a esc etc i am new with boats ,i think it the same as rc planes set up ? thanks rye
If you're going to do combat, you can't use gas. Gas pollutes when you sink, & gas engines don't generally like to suck in water (which is also likely when you sink).

JM

Old 10-31-2006, 12:17 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The chainsaws are all air cooled. I just was running no main deck for testing it. A speed 400 motor and prop could draw in air from the gun tubs floor openings and blow the heat out the deckhouse windows.
Engine exhaust goes out the stern model mufflers. Same as the real thing.

I spent a LOT of thought on gas power.

Electric and timing gears with pullies beats anything for easy to run PTB's.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:37 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi cyclops
hey i like your idea on the zen 260 ,would that be one shaft or can i use a gear set up for two , on eletic beats all do you mean you like eletical motors better please e-mail me at merye1@aol.com for help on setting the running gear up gas or eletic not sure on what to do hope you have more information on this for me thanks rye
Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have some photos of the 8' Higgins if someone would let me E-mail to you.Then post here.
I never mastered up and down loads.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HEY CYCLOPS2
YES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM PLEASE SEND THEM UNDER 8' PT BOAT
TO MERYE1@AOL.COM THANKS RYE PS THE GUY THAT IS SELLING THE ZEN 260 ON E-BAY SAID THAT IT WOULD MOVE THE BOAT AT ABOUT 30 MPH IF ITS ON THE LITE END OF WEIGHT OF BUILDING , I DONT THING SO , WHAT DO YOU THINK? RYE
Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

About the gas engines needed The 66CC i used came from a Husquavarna Forest cutting machine.
8' boat was a fast tugboat at full power.

Now has a full sized marine # 24 deep cycle battery--Novak Super Rooster with reversing and the 41# trolling motor. It pulls 12volts at 80 amps from a full power start. It can pull a unready adult into the water head first from a dock.

I know.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys
just got my price on a semi lazer cut kit from PrecisionLaser@verizon.net
210.00 t shipping that gives you the ribs deck and keel i am going to have to make the house my self and ordering the scale parts from
http://www.geocities.com/mosquitoboat/index.html it is the 1/16 scale ill keep you informed as i go take 2 weeks to get the smeikit ,hod on here we go a new money pit[X(] dont tell the wolf rye
Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello
well i got the laser cut ribs and keel today precision laser did a great job ill show picture as soon as i find out how to post them ,now i build small to large rc planes and i never build a boat the pt boat is high in front lower in rear so if i try to build it upside down the rear ribs wont touch the keel if i build it upright they are all in line from side veiw looks great ,can any one give me any help on how to build the frame is there a trick to it thanks rye
Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
rob_crash24

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

any one here use mfa motors i made a 4ft pt boat with 1 mfa 850 motor its direcd driving a 4 blade brass prop and draws about 8-10 amps
it has good speed in side the boat the bot the propshapt is long so i made a bracket but the hole is to big to at slow speed it rattles i like it cuz it sounds like a diesel engin or somthing
Old 01-06-2007, 04:35 PM
rob_crash24

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THEM
I WILL PROBS MAKE IT OUT OF WOOD IME THINKING OF USING A 24VOLT SCOTER MOTOR IT HAD A SPEED OF 2500RPM AND 250WATTS OF POWER REALY I DONT WANT TO SPEND MORE THAN 20£ DOLARS ON THIS ABOUT 40 DOLARS
Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 PM
rob_crash24

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OH S##T RONG THREAD LOL
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
rye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi guys
got all the scale deck parts done the deck and hull done to still havent got how to put the pictures on here ,if anyone want me to e-mail them maybe they can loaded them up ,anyways still havent done much on what kind of motors ,esc batterys etc ,but i think i have a problem ,i but the rudders in after i drill the holes for the tubes the rudder go into ,i am using dumas rudder and stuffing boxes, the stuffing boxes have bearing tubes to keep out the water how do i stop the water from coming in the rudder tubes thanks rye
Old 01-20-2007, 03:45 AM
martno1fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi loading pics is easy go to click here to load images at botom of the box you see when you click reply then click it when you get the next box opened click on browse then go to where your pics are on your computer and click the image you want then click ok and thats it!!.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service