Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

USS Gearing plans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

USS Gearing plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
kotori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USS Gearing plans

Does anyone know where I can find free plans online of the USS Gearing Sumner, or Fletcher class that include the rib sections? I am looking into building the Gearing, but they are all within 5% of each other, and as such, any will do for my club, and I just need to change the superstructure.

Also, does anyone know how fast the USS Timmerman went? It is listed as having 100,000 SHP (standard Gearing destroyers had 60,000 SHP) but no actual speed is listed in Conways. If you do know how fast, what source did you use?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Wreno

Default RE: USS Gearing plans

I have no source for free plans for the Gearing, but, I believe that Bowning Shipyards can send plans with its Gearing hulls. They are pretty reasonable and rugged. If you are just looking for a fast Allied destroyer, BDE has a laser-cut hull kit for about $45. Most plans do not have rib sections in the form you will want, though (though BDE does plan sets that are more what you are probably looking for), and you may want to redraw some of them.

Good luck,

Wreno
Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 AM
kotori

I just need enough ribs to put together a CAD model, then I can make as many ribs as I need. Gearings are pretty small to begin with, so I will add depth to the hull. By drawing it in CAD first, I can make sure it both has the space and depth I need, and still looks good.

Didn't BDE have a laser-cut hull for the Tashkent, not the Gearing?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Wreno

Yep, it is a Tashkent. I mentioned fast Allied, forgot to mention the name of the ship. Sorry. I did a little looking last night, but didn't find any free Gearing plans. Now if you want free French ship plans, on the other hand, I have a great source (TIFF scans of the originals). A Le Fantasque or Mogador might be suitable, depending on your desires, and can fight Allied or Axis. But this doesn't help you get a Gearing. Sorry. Anyway, the French link is [link=http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php]http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php[/link]

Good luck,

Wreno
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 AM
kotori

Hehe, well some buddies and I were looking for good torpedo destroyers (not light cruisers). Our collective experience indicates that speed alone isn't the deciding factor in a torpedo run. Spahkreuzer's 37 kts is good enough to catch its prey though more speed (40+ kts) is necessary to hunt other torpedo cruisers. It needs at least six torpedo tubes with at least one triple mount, so we can use the devastating triple torpedo cannons (doubles are good, but don't cut it and WWCC limits torpedoes to three per side). The key is in having multiple rudders for extreme maneuverability. You just keep your impenetrable bow pointed at the intended victim until you're under their guns then you can take your time to aim before giving the kiss of death. There are some German ones, some Italian ones, and some American ones. The Italian ones were pretty small, but some of the German and American ones were decent. Some of the Gearings had dual rudders, and there are no American destroyers in the club yet. Also, one of the Gearings, the USS Timmerman was built with a modified propulsion system with 100,000 SHP. I have one source that says it got 40-43 kts, and one that says 43 kts. If I can get one more source that says 43 kts, I can run any Gearing class at that speed because of the WWCC "Best Of Class" clause.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Wreno

Sounds like the Tashkent would fit your needs pretty nicely, and larger than the Gearing, so easier to set up. 44.2kts trial in Conways, 39 kts designed. 9 torps (3x3) syou your 6 are food to go.

The Mogador has plenty of torps for your criteria, and, I seem to recall got about 43kts on trials. Not quite as roomy as the Tashkent, perhaps, but the plans are free.

And both could probably be run Axis or Allied.

One thing about a Gearing hull (one of our members has one from Bowning), there is not a lot of volume to build in. He is still doing "navel gazing" on his in trying to determine how to best fit wnat he wants into it.

Wreno
Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Paul Flemming and Pat Sharr both run Gearing class.
The Gridley carried 16 torpedo tubes, so if you are allowed to reload, you could carry 16 shots. However I have seen a 1/144 Gridley make a sharp turn, and roll over.

Check and see if Paul can send you copies for postage.
He may still have access to a large format copier at his work.
Kinkos Copies charges $1 per square foot for their large format copies.

This is Paul's Website
http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49095.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	696007  
Old 06-03-2007, 07:11 AM
kotori

The Mogador and Tashkent are very good ships, but are missing one crucial feature that I am looking for: dual rudders. Also, the WWCC takes pride in the wide variety of ships we have, and there just aren't any American destroyers on the pond.