RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

combat submarines

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Wreno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: combat submarines

ORIGINAL: subcaptian

Well, I couldn't get the missile to work, but I am starting to build a 1/144 scale Seawolf, and I came up with a design for firing, scale torpedoes. See here. Also, look at that poor sub being chased!
Of course, "designing" is one thing. "Building" is another thing altogether, and may require a lot of unobtanium. Installing/implementing as well.... And then, the question remains, whether this type of torp is legal in any club you may wish to battle with (or, for that matter permitted under whatever entity provides you with insurance....). That said, good luck, let us know when you get it built and how it works.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 PM
subcaptian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the kind of torpedo I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSHrO...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjjKH...eature=related
Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Wreno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Again, good luck with the project. However, is this just as a technology demonstarator or so you can battle it? If you are wanting to battle it, you will need to comply with the arious rules of the clubs you intend to batle with, remember.

Of course, the practical aspects of veing able to do this with anny battle effectiveness have been covered at length, so I will not revisit them.

Again, good luck.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
subcaptian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

always such a pessimist..... lol.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Wreno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Believe it or not, I am in incorrigible optimist. Just have gained a healthy dose of realism after a number of years. Besides, I DID wish you luck on the project!

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Caesarian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hm that torpedo didnt look too wide in the videos, probably below half an inch. It WOULD be possible to scale down one and to make it feasible in combat by either making the head vibrating somehow, or perhaps have it sharpened and spring loaded, Im not sure on which, and mind you these are just ideas off the top of my head without much thought. It seems that the biggest obstacle for torpedos would be how to have it create a small hole and not plug it up simultaneously. But one could fit in with the 1/4 inch policy. And also, has anyone thought of revising that rule, as a torpedo is a different weapon entirely from a shell, perhaps it should have different constraints? for example, a little bit of phosphorous in the head would make it very potent [>:]

But i must say the whole missile plan will never work, though you might have some luck launching a weighted rocket horisontally or at a slight incline on the deck. I believe thats what the germans had in mind while testing their missile-launching u-boats.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Wreno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Torpedoes have long been debated, and the information is readily available in various threads. The physics are incredibly difficult, and the expense, if it is possible, is simply not justified, compared to the cost and simplicity of the current system. Remember, the current system has had 30-40 years of development, with almost everything else mentioned lately tried by numerous people over the years and determined to be inferiosr or impractical.

Feel free to try and develop something. I would strongly suggest, however, that you join a combat club and get some experience with the parameters involved and what you are needing to accomplish. Real life experience will help a lot. I would wager that you could put a decent battleship or two on the water with less time and expense than trying to develop a "new and improved" torpedo system.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
rckid66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

pretty scary attack sup its so stealthy
Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Wreno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rckid66

pretty scary attack sup its so stealthy
Not so much as you might think. Remember, you are not on the sub, but on the shore. If your opponent cannot see your sub, you can't see your sub either. Add to that the very limited range of their armament, and they are not "scary" at all.

Those that have been built, at least in 1/144 - the most common Warship Combat format, have been more novelty than effective.

I would strongly suggest you attend some battles first and build a regular RC Warship to learn what goes into them with a much more forgiving platform before even considering the far more advanced (and likely expensive) build of a combat sub.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 10-09-2010, 04:33 AM
slightly_floored

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second wreno's advice. Get to a battle, see what the game is about and go from there.