Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Great forum for former sailor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Great forum for former sailor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
nitrodad72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great forum for former sailor

First time on this forum, I usually hang in one of the nitro truck forums. Thought I would come in and check things out. I've read some pretty interesting stuff here. Kinda makes me want to build a boat of my own. I was in the Navy and it would be pretty cool to have a mini version of my old ship, the USS BERKELEY. She was a Vietnam era Adams class DDG. Looking through these pages brings back some memories. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Wreno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great forum for former sailor

Welcome to the group. A couple of things about the Berkeley - if you wanted a combat ship.

DDG-15 was not laid down until 1960, well after the 1946 timeframe allowed by most combat clubs. Also, she would be a tad small for a first build (DD's are small and tough to make battle effective, DDE's even tougher - the Berkely is a tad bigger than a DD, but still a small space to cram stuff into. Of course, if you are going with a scale larger than the more common combat scale of 1/144, this is not a s much an issue. You would have plenty of room in 1/72, and probably be fine in 1/96.

I say all this to give you t he background wo you will understand that it will be difficult to find a pre-built fiberglass hulls, so that you will probably be relegated to a scratchbuild (not and issue, as many scratchbuild wven when fiberglass hulls are available).

It may also prove a bit more difficult to locate plans in the scale you want for the ship, though they are probably available somewhere, and you can change the scale to the one you want.

The big problem is being able to battle, if that is your intention, being outside the allowed period. If your curiosity is still peaked, I suggest you read the introductory article at the North Texas Battle Group (www.ntxbg.org) [link=http://ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf]ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf[/link] - feel free to check out the club knowledgebase while you are there, as well as the links to suppliers and other related sites. To find a club near you, check out the clubfinder at RCNavalCombat.com

Cheers,

Wreno