Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Help ? - Beginner of RC Warship's

Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Help ? - Beginner of RC Warship's

Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Knox213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ? - Beginner of RC Warship's

Hi every-one. Recently i have thought about buying a RC Warship!

But i'm struggling to find out what sort of ship I should buy.... And i may need one very soon (I'm going to scotland soon. And theres a lake/pond near the place i'm going to. So i get to test out my toy there. )

I'll be perfectly honest. I have absoulety no clue what i have to do.

But here's a few questions i would love to know.

1)Are most warships waterproof?- If the ship sinks?Will the parts become damaged?(I've seen some rather fun looking battles going on. Where ships sink. )

2)If the ship gets damaged (During a battle. )How much does it cost to fix. (Minor Damages : eg : Hull ) (Major damages : Engine break down etc. )UK Currancy.. (I Know most people are american. But i guess some people may know the currancy for repairs or what ever. )

3) I Know for sure. I Dont want something too slow. Or too fast. (It'll make it abit harder for me if it was too fast. And if its too slow. Well.... It'll proberly sink during a battle. If i ever get to join one ) Preferably 5-7 mph. ( If thats slow. Then i'll be shocked. )

4)If the ship some-one becomes completely damaged. (Eg : engine / motor / propeller )Stops working. But the hull is fine. Should i use that setback to my advantage (By buying better parts. And upgrading the ship. )

5) What should be the maximum weight for my new ship. I Dont want something too heavy.

6)Any advice on buying a RC Warship?

7)Any advice for a newcommer into this hobby?

Thank you all for taking your time to read this topic.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Help ? - Beginner of RC Warship's

I can't answer all your questions but I can help some. Here's my recommendations:
1) FIND A COMBAT SHIP CLUB AND ASK QUESTIONS
2) You need to decide between big gun and fast gun as that will give some guidance to ship sizes
3) Ship speed is a function of scale speed of the ship being modelled. You don't just buy a ship and set it up, there are restrictions
4) The hulls are normally wood or fiberglass sheeted with balsa, so the "shells" will be able to penetrate. All the systems are made shot proof for the most part so they are not normally damaged
5) Ship weight is determined by the amount of weight needed to get the ship to float at the water line so, needless to say, bigger will be heavier
Hope this helps some
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Knox213

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

I can't answer all your questions but I can help some. Here's my recommendations:
1) FIND A COMBAT SHIP CLUB AND ASK QUESTIONS
2) You need to decide between big gun and fast gun as that will give some guidance to ship sizes
3) Ship speed is a function of scale speed of the ship being modelled. You don't just buy a ship and set it up, there are restrictions
4) The hulls are normally wood or fiberglass sheeted with balsa, so the "shells" will be able to penetrate. All the systems are made shot proof for the most part so they are not normally damaged
5) Ship weight is determined by the amount of weight needed to get the ship to float at the water line so, needless to say, bigger will be heavier
Hope this helps some
"You don't just buy a ship and set it up, there are restrictions" - I Was concidering buying a second hand one. Since there alot cheaper. And if there is some minor damage. I Could easily repair it. I understand that there is restrictions on certian thing.

as for question 4. Is the hull easy to repair though? I Dont want to come home after a battle to find out i have no chance of repairing the hull.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

You don't bring it home to repair, you do it right at the lake. The boats are made with balsa skin for a reason-shell penetration. IF your ship gets hit/sunk, it's repaired with aircraft dope and tissue. When you get to the point the skin is too damaged for further repairs, you strip off the balsa and reskin the framing. The inside of the hull is also sealed, so the balsa won't get waterlogged too quickly. As for the superstructure, it's pretty much there for decoration, though at least one area is used as a bouy for when the ship goes down. Makes finding the the thing easier after a sinking
Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Wreno

HydroJunkie has made some good points.

One thing you might want to do to get up to speed on the hobby is read the Servo Magazine article here:[link=https://ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf]ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf[/link]

You might also wan to see the short video here: [link=http://www.cbs11tv.com/[email protected]]www.cbs11tv.com/[email protected][/link]

You are making some presumptions that may or may not have validity - like that "used ships are cheaper." A used ship has had the captain take the time and evffort and expense to build it - they do not come from a factory (as yet).

You may find they are illegal or need to meet specific restrictions to be legal. England and Scotland have, I believe, some pretty strict firearms laws. RC combat ships were illegal in Australia until they got a waiver (they fit under the classification of concealed weapons, like handguns) until they got a waiver. And they still cannot use BB caliber and have strict maximum velocity restrictions, I believe. And, it appears they are classified as firearms in New Jersey. You do need to investigate local firearms laws.

As noted by Hydrojunkie, the first thing to do is find the closest local club, or some nearby captains. You can learn a lot by going to an event or two, including local battles (you just missed the North American Big Gun Open near Dallas, MWC Nats in Houston, and IRCWCC Nats). Your local club may even have a club or lender ship - or it may not. But they can give you advice and help, and may be a source of used ships, if one comes available.

I hope that helps. Welcome to the fray.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Thanks for filling in the blanks Wreno. I figured I'd better not try to go too far as I'm not one that's involved in the hobby. Since you didn't correct me on anything, I'm assuming all the info I put out was valid[sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM
res3567

Hey....that link you posted on channell 11....is that the Houston satation? I don't get to see 11 in the mornings......
ORIGINAL: Wreno

HydroJunkie has made some good points.

One thing you might want to do to get up to speed on the hobby is read the Servo Magazine article here:[link=https://ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf]ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf[/link]

You might also wan to see the short video here: [link=http://www.cbs11tv.com/[email protected]]www.cbs11tv.com/[email protected][/link]

You are making some presumptions that may or may not have validity - like that "used ships are cheaper." A used ship has had the captain take the time and evffort and expense to build it - they do not come from a factory (as yet).

You may find they are illegal or need to meet specific restrictions to be legal. England and Scotland have, I believe, some pretty strict firearms laws. RC combat ships were illegal in Australia until they got a waiver (they fit under the classification of concealed weapons, like handguns) until they got a waiver. And they still cannot use BB caliber and have strict maximum velocity restrictions, I believe. And, it appears they are classified as firearms in New Jersey. You do need to investigate local firearms laws.

As noted by Hydrojunkie, the first thing to do is find the closest local club, or some nearby captains. You can learn a lot by going to an event or two, including local battles (you just missed the North American Big Gun Open near Dallas, MWC Nats in Houston, and IRCWCC Nats). Your local club may even have a club or lender ship - or it may not. But they can give you advice and help, and may be a source of used ships, if one comes available.

I hope that helps. Welcome to the fray.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Wreno

Mostly right, HJ, though Small/Fast Gun and the most common Big Gun are both the same scale of ship - 1/144. There are variants of Big Gun in 1/96 and 1/72, for those who like destroyers and other smaller ships rather than the big battlewagons.

Speeds in 1/144 Big Gun are determined by the prototype ship's speed (the chart works out to about 0.1 real km/h per knot of the real ship - i.e., a 25 knot ship is about 2.5 km/h). In Small/Fast Gun, the speed is different (faster) and is determined by the ships' list (ships are given characteristics based on arbitrary specifications, units, etc), I believe.

The major difference between Big Gun and Small Fast Gun is armament - but all that (and more) is covered in the article linked, I believe.

Res3597 - the clip is from CBS 11 in Dallas/Fort Worth. Not Houston. The clip was at about 4:00 in the afternoon. However you can watch it from the link given.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 AM
res3567

I grew up there...moved to Houston in '84, but I still visit relatives....I thought CBS up there was another station.....Anyway thanks for the info and that was an interesting clip as I did not realize that type of RC exsited....don't know if we have clubs like that here in Houston.....
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Wreno

There is a Small/Fast Gun group that is in Houston under the MWC banner. In fact, MWC had their NATs in Houston this year in July at H&H Ranch. Contact information is on the [link=http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/]www.modelwarshipcombat.com/[/link] site. Got some great guys in the club. It is, however, a far different experience than Big Gun. Good fun, but different.

Good luck,

Wreno