Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Last Dreadnought USS TEXAS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Last Dreadnought USS TEXAS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Saxondog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Dreadnought USS TEXAS

Has anyone built a USS Texas Dreadnought? Considering this ship as it is the last first generation Dreadnought on the planet. This photo says it all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46589.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1486371  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Last Dreadnought USS TEXAS

I doubt there are any kits of the ship in it's present configuration made. It could be an interesting project for anyone that want's to take it on
Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Saxondog

I wouldpreferto model the Ship aslaunched. Also I have never seen a model of the first two Deadnoughts South Carolina and Michigan? I wonder why their are so few kits in any scale of these first generation Dreadnoughts? Saxondog
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Rusty_S85

I was at one time wanting to build a WWII version of the BB-35 Battleship Texas and have all five turrets operational. Well I have been told many times that the New York class battleship that Texas is based off of is on the small side and wouldnt be that good for a first build neither would it be good to have all turrets operational. Everyone was recomended to me to build a cargo or transport ship or something that is unarmed. I thought to myself wheres the fun in having an unarmed ship in a "war zone" with warships that are armed.

But since I dont see any activity on the north texas big gun site nor do I hear about any events locally I have lost interest in it but I would still like to build a RC Texas though with working armament even if all I end up doing is shooting at stationary targets.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Saxondog

The new release of the 1/200 scale Arizona may just be the first in a series of Dreadnoughtreleases. This is a new kit by Trumpeter and I hope it will be the first of many. I have the 1/200NichimoYamato and really would like to build more ships in that scale. Saxondog
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcar...em_num=TSM3701

Name:	Ay75932.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1502881  
Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Rusty_S85

I have a 1:350 scale model of the Arizona.

Personally I wouldnt mind a super detailed and super accurate Arizona model in 1:200 scale if it came with the option to build it as post 1930 refit or pre 1930 refit. I would also like to see the BB-35 Texas or at the very least the BB-34 New York with the option to build as a pre or post refit BB-35 Texas.

Only thing that would keep me from buying a model of those two warships in that scale is the cost. Its why I dont buy models anymore cause the prices are getting crazy. I could see $50 for a 1:350 or larger scale model but I just cant see why some would be all the way up to $90 - $100 for a plastic model. I say for that price it should come prebuilt. But it would be nice if there was a company offering the superstructure prebuilt for 1:200 or 1:350 or even 1:144th scale for those of us that would like to build a super detail model from scratch.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Saxondog

I agree to your point about the pre-1930 ships, I would really like to model the Dreadnoughts ascommissioned. The entire Kriegsmarine is available in 1-350 scale with the latest release of Graf-Spee in several kits. But the American world war Two capitol ships are not, even the modernized First generationDreadnoughtsare not available in 1.350 scale. With exception of Arizona.

Being from Tennessee I would like to model the battleship Tennessee in 1.350 scale but it is not possible, just another example of mixed scales from allmanufacturers. I have built in 1.200 at a cost 20years ago of 250.00, the Nichimo Yamato was a kit I saved for,it is now over 500.00 for the same kit.

Their is a German company that makes 1/100 scale ships of WWI and WWII. Very nice laser cut material but these kits are costly as well.

Name:	Hf98945.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1503493   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44239.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1503494  
Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Rusty_S85

That is what sucks. I have built Titanic models from scale 1:700 all the way up to 1:350. I also have the Arizona in 1:350 scale. I would love to add the battleship Texas to the same collection in same scale. But no place offers a battleship texas model at a fair price in a fair scale.

Maybe thats why my options for getting into the hobby of rc warship combat relys on building either a Troop Transport/hospitalship version of the Olympic/Titanic/Britannic or the battleship Texas. I would love to do the Bismarck but I noticed alot of people do that and I think it would be weird to have like 7 different Tripitz class warships on the lake slugging it out.

Reguardless of what ever ship I build I do want to put a smoke system in it to put out dark colored smoke out of the smokestacks. Might could even wire it up where when water starts to pour in a certain area it will kill smoke to funnels that are fed by boilers in that area. Not sure how well it would work but it was an idea I had. Another idea is to have a side discharge port for the water to come out but instead of having one tiny opening where water sprays out with some force have at the very least 4 exit ports of a fairly large size to prevent the pressure of the water from making the ship list or steer weird. Not sure if others have thought of that idea or if the clubs will allow multiple discharge ports, personally dont see why they wouldnt since reguardless of how many openings you have your not going to move no more water than the pump will allow it.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'll pass on that Tirpitz, Saxondog. When compared to the other versions of the Bismarck class, that one is way off on the location of turrets Anton and Dora. It also looks too short for the width and what's up with all the port holes in the superstructure? That thing looks like it's toy grade and not a real good grade of R/C. I can tell you right now that it would never be displayed in my house[:'(]
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Rusty_S85

The model looks ok would look better if the portholes were drilled out instead of filled in black. Atleast they would have a depth to them that makes them look like your looking through a dark porthole into a darkened room.

Only model I would love to put on display would be a cut away of a warship and a cruise ship engine room. Would like to build around a 1/6 scale version of the main and secondary engine room of the Titanic with real working steam engine/turnbine and a 1/6 scale version of the main engine rooms for a New york class battleship. Not sure where one would start on a project such as that. I already got the plans for the Titanic that I can do the rooms, not sure how Icould do a metal working steam engine x3
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Saxondog

Hydro Junkie, I just posted the ships as reference to other kit sources. The Bismarck and Tirpitz in the pictures are from ALIBABA site in Germany. They also have alot of WWI Dreadnoughts. Byond that I know very little about the kits. I assume you could build them any way you choose with or without portholes.

Saxondog
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Keri Morgret

Rusty, I don't know if you know of Strike Models, but we bought Swampworks about a year and a half ago. We do have a 1:144 scale Arizona in fiberglass with a deck and superstructure kit. I'm just getting involved with this forum, so I don't know if a link drop is OK or not, but we're easily found on Google if you're interested, or PM me and Ican give you information.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Saxondog

Would you have a 1/144 Tennessee / California? And what about the Texas / New York or the Delaware class with 6 main gun turrets? These ships all were unique either in Gun layout or as with The Tennessee and California which were first with a smooth clipper bow with no hull casement guns and first Turbo Electric Drive battleships?

Lindberg has a new 1/144 scale Arizona coming up for release, and I dounderstandthis ships are not used in your hobby but this are intersting developments in the model ship world as these scales are generally from Japan, the 1/250 and 1/200 Yamato class kits.

Another ship which would be of interest is the SMSHindenburg. Strike Models i'll check you guys out. regards Saxondog
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Saxondog

Would you have a 1/144 Tennessee / California? And what about the Texas / New York or the Delaware class with 6 main gun turrets? These ships all were unique either in Gun layout or as with The Tennessee and California which were first with a smooth clipper bow with no hull casement guns and first Turbo Electric Drive battleships?

Lindberg has a new 1/144 scale Arizona coming up for release, and I dounderstandthis ships are not used in your hobby but this are intersting developments in the model ship world as these scales are generally from Japan, the 1/250 and 1/200 Yamato class kits.

Another ship which would be of interest is the SMSHindenburg. Strike Models i'll check you guys out. regards Saxondog
Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Keri Morgret

We do have the 1/144 Tennessee/California. Right now we just have the hull and subdeck/deck for that one, but we're working on the superstructure for it.

We also have the SMS Derfflinger class.

We don't have the Texas/New York, though we do have plans for it and it's on our list to build as there's a lot of interest in it.

Our page listing all of our current ships, plus examples of the kits and new deck construction, is at http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Saxondog

Thank-you, The First generation Dreadnoughts have been over shadowed for to long by the Fast Battleships. They were the Weapons Global superpower statis for many decades and sadly model companies tend to re-produce the modernized versions only and few of them.

Saxondog
Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Hydro Junkie

The reason for that is that older ships of the New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, New Mexico and Colorado classes were the ones that did the dirty work of shore bombardment and close support due to their slower speeds. The "fast battleships" are the ones that made the headlines during WWII being able to keep up with the carrier fleet. To take it one step further, when you look at performance in combat, off Guadalcanal the South Dakota was shot up by the Japanese "battleship" Kirishima and was lucky it wasn't destroyed. Only the presence of the battleship Washington saved the South Dakota as the Washington pummeled the unfortunate Japanese ship with radar controlled 16" salvos at "point blank" range. By comparison, the "Dreadnaughts" only real victory was a team event where 6 dreadnaughts(most of which were repaired/rebuilt Pearl Harbor survivors) destroyed the Japanese old battleship Yamashiro and heavy cruiser Mogami during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. The Iowa class ships received even more publicity due to several recalls to duty as well as the Missouri being the host of the Japanese surrender. When you look at the ships preserved after WWII, you have the North Carolina(sister ship Washington was scrapped), Massachusetts and Alabama(sister ships South Dakota and Indiana were scrapped) and the four Iowa class ships. Of all the prewar "dreadnaughts", only the Texas, Arizona and Utah are left. Most know about the Texas, everyone knows about the Arizona, but what about the Utah? It still remains where it capsized and sank December 7th, 1941 across Ford Island from the Arizona, a rusting hulk that has a little known observation pier going out from Ford Island to the side of the ship.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Saxondog

Your observations are very good, the South Dakota during the Iron Bottom Soundengagementhad an electrical problem, a chief tide down the contact breakers as the kept un-latching. So their is this fine ship dead in the water after the first salvo,Washington did save the day, but bad blood between these two crews over thisengagementis well documented. Sadly this problem was know by the commanders and the captain on South Dakota, but like many ships she went into harms way and did the best she could.

Your right about UTAH, did you know about the chief who left 43 men to drown? The Utah had two jobs target ship and brig ship. Satureday night the Sailors and Marines were taken to Utah,then the next day their independent commanders would send SP's to collect their men. Now the story goes this chief abandoned these men,another story has a rating trying to get them free. Don't know if the truth will every be known.

The other sad ship that day was Oklahoma, capsized and many men were lost. Over 400. But after the attack she was righted through a technique never before used on such a large ship.Concrete pilings were built on shore and with many cables they rolled her over and pumped out the water. Now the men are still inside and the best thing to do is make her a grave ship.

The other issue is she is the only ship with VTE Engines,so those two reasons sealed her fate. It is a odd thing about the last battleship to battleship action if fought by ships the Japaneese never realized we had raised and repaired,not that they were waiting in Leyte Gulf,or was it SanBernardinostraight.

Another battleship casualty is the pre-dreadnought Oregon,she was a museum ship but they cut her up in the scrap drives after Dec.7th really sad end. Battleships have always been interesting to me. Seeing Alabama in the late 1960 after Hurricane Camel she was sitting their un moved,un damaged amid all the destruction. I have toured that ship twice spending a day walking about and trying to get into the engine rooms and frame 43 wear she took a torpedo,patched and filled with cement. But the ships that have been preserved are a good thing, the Texas is well cared for last time I saw her in 2003. Actually the only time I ever saw her and I was to late to take the tour.

That same year on a trip to Benicia,California their at anchor is an IOWA CLASS battleship just floating with another group of older ships. As far as I know she is still their.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Keri Morgret

The Iowa class is still in the San Francisco Bay Area, for right now. By the end of November, we should know if she'll be going down to San Pedro. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=7766436
Old 11-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

The Iowa "CLASS" will never be in San Pedro as the USS Missouri is already permanently(take that with a grain of salt) docked at Pearl Harbor, occupying the same mooring location as the USS Maryland and USS Oklahoma on December 7, 1941. The USS New Jersey is moored in Camden NJ as a museum ship with a complete shore facility. The USS Wisconsin is now an exhibit at the Nauticus facility in Norfolk VA, leaving just the USS Iowa. It would be nice to see the last of the Iowa class given a new home, rather than being left to rust with a ghost fleet
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Keri Morgret

Ok, an Iowa Class battleship called the USS Iowa. =] It's been a long week on this end.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Hydro Junkie

Keri, I was looking at your website and noticed that everything was WWII vintage or earlier. Would I be right in assuming you don't have any of the newer ships like the Kidd/Spruance destroyers or the "Supercarriers"? I'd love to get my hands on a Kitty Hawk class carrier hull/kit as I'd love to build a model of the ship I was on for two cruises
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Keri Morgret

We do have the newest US battleship! =]

We do only go up to WWII at this time, and I haven't paid much attention to other vendors that have newer ships. Someone else may be able to chime in here.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Newest US Battleship? Are you refering to the Iowa class or the Montana class that never got off paper?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Keri Morgret

Yes to both. We have the Iowa class hull, and a plug for the Montana class is in the final stages of being readied to send to the fiberglass shop to get a mold made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.