Go Back  RCU Forums > RCU Rules & FAQs > RCUniverse.com FAQ
Reload this Page >

Radios--72 and 2.4--What is going on?

Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

Radios--72 and 2.4--What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
garyp1936

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios--72 and 2.4--What is going on?

As an old-timer who is considering getting back into the hobby (which I have been out of for 15 years) I have been confused by what has happened in the radio business. It used to be that one selected a radio system (even a four channel), picked a frequency, and received a complete radio system---Transmitter, Receiver, NiCa Batteries for both, and a Charger. Now I find that if I select the Futabe 4YF 4-channel 2.4 system (four channels is all I will ever need) it comes with four AA batteries!!! (does ANYONE really use these???), no charger, and a suggestion that if one wants to use re-chargeable NiCads it is necessary to buy a "mini charger plug" (?) from somewhere in the CONUS, as well as batteries and a charger. Rather than get involved in buying the correct NiCa batteries, a charger, and the aforementioned "plug", I have almost decided that it would be much easier if I simply checked with the local club (I assume it keeps a record of FM frequencies used by members) and bought a 72 FM system. Searching for radio information provided by mail-order houses has proved to be a time-consuming deadend. Finally ,it would seem that beyond having a shorter antenna and technological bragging rights, there is really very little difference in radio effectiveness between 72 and 2.4 systems. Am I correct????

Last edited by garyp1936; 03-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK I will try and take a shot at your questions:

Today there are many more packaging options when buying rado equipemt and sales of total packages are not really the norm anymore, the reason is there is such a wide and varied number of options today including servos, receivers and chargers that the one size fits all packages of the past are just not practical for many these days.

The days of the past when many clubs keep records of who used what frequency is also quite rare these days with the proliferation of 2.4 which requires no frequency control at all. And Indeed some events are going to 2.4 only as are some clubs. Such as my club which recommends 2.4 only and this is because of park flyers basically at our gates and many of them who show no interest in frequency control for those who use 72. There were many shoot downs on 72 so our club decided to go all 2.4 and that's the best decision we ever made and we even removed the frequency board.

The use of alkalines rather than rechargeable packs is still only used on the very bottom line systems and this is not the norm nor would I recommend buying any brand system that used removable single cells.

And finally concerning the advantages of 2.4 over 72, well its far more that bragging rights. In addition to the magical removal of the need for frequency control there are many advantages and here are only two. First in my opinion mystery Glitching is almost a thing of the past and second the receivers are far more durable in crashes.

In my opinion for anyone new or a returnee it would be a mistake to buy 72 equipment which is rapidly disappearing and my standard advice is to always purchase the most capable and current equipment possible. Most who do purchase this bottom line stuff or its included with some 'ultimate Combo' deal, Are almost always looking to replace it in months or even weeks.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-03-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much what he said. Plus the cost to go to a 5-6 channel unit is peanuts and gives you all kinds of additional useful features. You can fly anywhere safely with 2.4 without worrying if you will shoot down someone or be shot down.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM
garyp1936

Thanks John. I appreciate your comments. I understand and agree with most of what you say, but I still find it strange that Futaba 6-channel 2.4 radios are sold with AA batteries. According to Tower Hobbies, if one want to use NiCas in these radios, one must first acquire a new "battery door" from Futaba as well as a charger that requires "soldering on the correct charger plug". It would seem that 6+ channel radios would, at the least, come equipped to accommodate NiCa batteries. I understand that various uses require different servos and battery packs, but to sell radios not ready for NiCas seems almost irresponsible. People new to the hobby could well decide that using AAs in RC aircraft is normal and acceptable. If 2.4 is the way to go (and I agree that it is), then it is more imperative that radios must be equipped to accept NiCas without additional modifications. Gary
Old 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM
JohnBuckner

By the way Gary I neglected to welcome you back to the hobby/sport/passion, so glad you are coming back. Its interesting many folks often return after very long times and as often as not they are amazed at the technical advancements that occur.

As far as Futaba selling bottom end radios that use loose cells, that is nothing new and They as well as most other manufacturers have sold such units since they first entered the north American market.

The 4YF you listed is about a featureless radio possible with only servo reversing and a single mix for elevon and that's it. Now if you get active agine and start to learn about systems you will very soon tire of that radio.

Now since I use primarily Hitec the number one radio that I recommend to my students is the Eclipse seven Pro. That radio is only slightly more than the cheezy intro radio and it is packed with abilitys. For example it will give you not only readout of transmitter battery voltage but also real time voltage of the flight battery while you are flying! Even a sound alarm if that flight battery gets low. Now just thank about that. It is a airplane saving bit of technology.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-03-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
crash1ace

The one thing I still dont like about 2.4 is that it needs to be line of sight flying at all times. Should your aircraft dip behind a tree even for a moment, you will lose radio control, where
as the 72 stuff will still maintain a link of you are able to fly the plane back into view (hopefully of course). For me thats why I will never give up my 72. Also, some clubs,still require a freq
pin board for the 2.4 guys.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:57 PM
JohnBuckner

That for us at my club was/is the most wonderful thing about 2.4 is freedom from the pin board and we completely removed the board several years ago. Free at last, free at last

John