Go Back  RCU Forums > RCU Rules & FAQs > RCUniverse.com FAQ
Reload this Page >

OS FT- 160 Poor Idle ?

Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

OS FT- 160 Poor Idle ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 AM
RC Rich

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OS FT- 160 Poor Idle ?

[TABLE="class: tborder user-postbit-left-user, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"]I have a 1/4 scale Cub with a OS FT-160 (old style carb with air bleed screw). I've been flying it for 15 years. I'm guessing that it's a little "tired", but still has a max rpm of 8500 with 16x8 master airscrew and 10% nitro and new plugs. The fuel is new and the valves are adjusted and it still flies the Cub fine.

My problem is that the idle now requires to be higher than I like (over 2,000 rpm's) to avoid the engine dying when cutting the throttle to idle. My current options are to re-build the engine with new rings, sleeves, rubber components and maybe the new style carb (if anyone thinks they are an improvement). The option that I like better is to install an on-board ignition system.

I'm looking at the Sullivan for twin engines. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXRYK3

My question is, If I go the on-board ignition system route, what type and size battery do I go with? I would probably have it go on below 1/4 throttle and I usually fly about 3 flights lasting about 10 min. each. With battery type, I'd rather spend more $ to get more mah to ensure not running out of power rather than adding too much weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: user-postbit-bottom-user, bgcolor: #111A2D"]
[/TD]
[TD="class: alt2_bottom, align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]