Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can the 90sp handle it?

Afternoon gents, I have been away from the glow planes for a while now but would like to jump back in the game. I have been building a TF P-51 and was planning on running an electric motor so that I could throw the Vario Prop 16D 18.6" 4 blade prop. I never really wanted to go this big with electrics but really want to run a scale prop. I stumbled across this forum and read that the RCV SP line may be able to do the job. Do you guys think the 90 SP could throw this prop or would I need to step up to the 120?

I'm getting excited again, SVX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Can the 90sp handle it?

SVX,

I'm running the 16D 18.6" 3-blade with a 120SP on my Corsair. I have the pitch set at 12". The 120SP turns it at 4660 rpm (9320 engine rpm). With a 90SP, I would think an 18.6" 4-blade would be a tough chore. Remember, RCV does not recommend going below 10" of pitch with the SP engines. However, I do think the 90SP would turn the 16D 4-blade hub with 16.6" blades. These engines will pull larger props than recommended by RCV. When the engines were developed, only the smaller multiblade props were available for testing. I would get the 4-blade hub with both sizes of blades and just try and see what performance you get from each. If you don't like the 18.6" blades, I may buy them from you. I've also had very good luck buying oversize props and bobbing them to the correct scale length and tip shape for my 60SP. I'm sure this would work for the 90SP if you feel you may want to run something between the 16.6" and the 18.6" blades offered by VarioProp.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Can the 90sp handle it?

Thanks Joe, it was you Corsair that got me all tourqed up. I can go with the 120sp I know the TF Mustang can handle it, I was just trying to save weight. Besides, if it doesn't pan out it would be the perfect engine for my Brain Taylor Mustang if and when I get the umf to start it.

Dust