Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

58 cd idle problem

Old 08-13-2011, 03:12 PM
shark again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58 cd idle problem

I have an RCV 58 cd in my Something Extra. It is an old plane -not sure when I built it but the motor serial number is 691. It used to run great but I hadn't flown now for about 4 years. I started flying again and got the plane going. I can't seem to get the motor to idle slow enough to land nice or taxi back. It dies when II try to get it to run that slow. The idle adjust screw is almost all the way in, maybe just a half turn out. Could someone look at theirs and see how far that screw is in? I have tried to richen the idle by backing that screw out, but then it won't idle at all. Also it seems like there is very little difference between 1/2 throttle and full. Yesterday it was surging in the air so I richend it and that made it sound a lot better, but it still doesn't idle slow enough. Any ideas would be welcome - and if someone could peek into the throttle arm side and see if that screw is way in or close to flush that would be great.
Thanks
Jim S.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM
shark again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 58 cd idle problem

Well, I guess I found the problem. The foam around the fuel tank had shook loose and wasn't really padding the tank much. I pulled it apart and got the foam back under and on the sides of the tank and now it runs good again. Evidently the fuel was getting all whipped up from vibration and air bubbles were getting drawn into the carb.
Now maybe I won't get kidded about that British engine sounding like a worn out MG!