Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV 91 CD - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:25 AM
gehr2box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV 91 CD - Problem

I have a new 91 CD that will not idle and appears to overheat.

It is mounted in a Bud Nosen Jenny. No cowl over the engine. Outside temp 65 deg F. Altitude 67' above sea level.
New fuel tank is 12oz. New fuel lines. Center line of the tank is 1/4 to 1/2" below the center of the carb. Using muffler pressure to tank. I have a 3" line attached to the crankcase breather.
Fuel is Omega 10%
Prop is a Master Airscrew 14x6
Glow plug is new OS F.
Break in was done in the plane on the ground.
Carb settings for first run were 2 turns out for high speed needle, 3.5 turns out for idle needle.
Would not start below 1/2 throttle.
Started and ran for 15 minutes, shut off, let cool 15 minutes. Sounded like a pretty rich mixture.
Ran for approximately another 45 minutes with very brief stops to refuel. During this period began closing the high speed needle to get leaner run. The engine was hard to start no matter the throttle position or mixture setting. Was unable to get consistent idle below half throttle. Left power on glow plug and lowered the throttle as much as I could below 1/2 and adjusted the idle mixture. Continued tweaking until I was a able to get idle to around 3000 rpm. It was inconsistent however and would still die if left for a minute or so without a powered glow plug. During this period of breaking the engine would sometimes start below half throttle, but it would overheat and not start after a while.

I have reset the mixture screws to the factory default of 2 hi and 3.5-4 low and still had these issues.

I have removed and inspected the fuel tank and lines. I pressurized the lines and tank and no leakage was noted. I replaced the glow plug with another new OS F.

I took the plane to the field thinking the engine just needed more breakin, Ran another tank through it. It seems to run better for the first tank or two then gets very hot and refuses to start or idle when it does start (at above 1/2 throttle). I let it cool and refueled it and got an idle of maybe 3000 rpm. Initially it seemed to run OK, but about 5 minutes into the first flight of the plane I noted a power loss and dead sticked it to a landing. I was unable to get the engine to run well after that. Adjusting the high speed needle did not appear to richen the mixture.
I took the engine out, checked for loose screws(none found). I disassembled the carb. No blockages noted.

The high speed need appears to richen the mixture for a while, but as the engine get a couple of tanks through it, it gets very hot and the high speed needle will only lean it out. I have had brief period during this run that I tweaked the idle and high speed needles and got a fast reliable idle, but it would not last as the engine got hot.

Any ideas???

Bud
Old 01-11-2005, 09:40 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: RCV 91 CD - Problem

Hi Bud

I am pleased you contacted us. Unfortunately it sounds as if there is a problem with your engine rather than anything you are doing incorrectly. The best thing to do is to return it to our US Service Centre for repair. If you could please email me ([email protected]) with your full name, contact details, serial number and date & place of purchase, I will then issue you with a warranty log number and the address of our sevice centre.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused, however am confident we will resolve this issue promptly.

Best regards
Laurenne Mansbridge
Old 01-11-2005, 08:11 PM
gehr2box

Thanks I'll send the info right over...
Old 02-13-2005, 04:25 PM
gehr2box

Just thought I'd give an update as a happy customer.

I sent my engine to Bill Jensen for RCV warranty service. He kept me up to date on the status of the engine. He was unable to get my original engine to perform adequately. As a result the engine was replaced with a new one free of charge.

Bill ran the engine before shipping it to me to verify that it performed properly. I bolted into my plane with no adjustments and it ran great. Good low idle and plenty of power. Power increased with each flight.

The RCV 91 is the quietist 4 stroke engine I have ever heard. It's pulling around my 14.5 lb Jenny Bipe with no problems at all. Very realistic sound and was the perfect choice for this plane.

My hat is off to the folks at RCV and BJ engines for the wonderful service and great customer support.