Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Rcv-90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rcv-90

Greetings, new to this site thought i would introduce myself. My is Joe, I live in Ontario Canada. I'm currently starting a giant scale project of an C-130H 1/12 scale. 132" wingspan, gross wing loading 28.52 oz per sq. ft. length 97.75" nose to tail. Weight 21 lbs. It seems the RCV-90 was made for this appilcation with an almost perfect fit in the engine nacelle. I will be runinng 4 RCV-90's turning custom made 15"x12" 4 blade's (wood). My first question is

#1 - I will have about 11" of exhaust pipe runinng to the back of the engine nacelle 1" diameter from the engine. Will this affect performance ?

#2 - The custom made props are going to be a repilca of the Hamilton standard 4 blade. I was wondering about too much blade area for the RCV-90 to handle so the builder has reconmened that we reduce the pitch to offset the amount blade area. Knowing that the RCV-90 has a reduction of 2:1 it will produce an amazing amount of torque. i will try to include a pic. Any thoughts or numbers on the amount of torque a RCV-90 can put out ?.

#3 - With the carb inside the cowling, would there be any effect of the engine drawing in pre-heated air. Maybe a slight reduction in power?.

#4 - I would like to mount the fuel tank in the centre of the fuselage. The outboard engines will be 35" from the tank. I had talked to perry pumps and there shouldn't be any problem with drawing fuel that far.

The behind prop starting is a nice feature. As well as turning large props. The abilty to fly without changing props really appeals to me. Any thoughts or comments?. I have not yet started construction yet, but when i do i will post some pics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCV-90 C-130 Herc

http://www.propellers.us/prop1.jpg The pic was not attached i'll try a link.

Joe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCV-90 C-130 Herc

I heard from the gentlemen in New York that is building my scale props for me that he's thinking of switching to carbon fibre and reducing the blade width. Also reducing thickness of blade to reduce drag. Also reducing the pitch a little. Hopefully all this and the RCV-90 can turn these scale looking props. He's going to send me one copy of the prop so i can test it on the test stand with an RCV-90. Here's another pic. Joe.

http://www.propellers.us/prop.jpg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rcv-90

Hi Joe
    It is nice to hear from you - what a great project you are undertaking. When you do have it completed, we would love to receive some photos for our website gallery.

Anyway, in answer to your questions:
    1) The exhuast pipe length will not affect performance
    2) Unfortunately we do not have any torque figures to hand - sorry
    3) The carb inside the cowling would slightly reduce power, but not significantly
    4) The perry pump should be fine

With regard to propellers, the 4-bladed prop we recommend for the RCV90SP is an APC 15.5 x 12. I am pleased that you are going to test one of the custom made propellers, as this is really the only way of seeing how it will perform. 4-bladed propellers are generally not as efficient as 2-blade props, so it is important to check it is up for the job.

I hope this helps

If you have any more queries, don't hesitate to contact us.
    Best regards
    Laurenne
    Technical Support
    RCV Engines - UK
    www.rcvengines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rcv-90

Thanks for the quick reply Laurenne. The manufactuer is suggesting to make the blades as thin as possible to reduce drag. I didn't think the exhaust pipe would be a problem, once past the muffler i will expand the pipe to a dia. of 1". I will post some pics once things get started. Yes it is a big project by all means. But you know what they say Go big or Go home. My idea of the Hercules is to fly slow and gentle. All that torque from the RCV-90's should make those props sing nice. Hopefully by summer of 2003 building should be underway. Summer of 2004 should be nearing completion. Joe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rcv-90

One quick question about the RCV-90. Is .25 psi enough fuel pressure for the RCV-90 to run on?. Also, is 3.5 oz/min enough fuel flow for the RCV-90. Just wondering as i will need to order 4 pumps from Perry pumps and just want to be sure they will be suffiecent. I'll test one of them anyways on the test stand. Joe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rcv-90

In answer to your query, .25 psi is certainly enough fuel pressure for the 90SP and 3.5oz is enough for the fuel flow.

Cheers
    Laurenne
    Technical Support
    RCV Engines - UK
    www.rcvengines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Rcv-90

Hello,
    Is their an ending to this thread. Its been years and I was wondering what happened. Threads like this have no meaning unless they have an ending. Thank You !

Hank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow Hank; at first I thought you were rude until I looked at the dates of these posts '2003', whats up with that!
    P-40 Brotherhood #3
    P-47 Brotherhood #32
    Spitfire Brotherhood #29
    H9 P-47,TF GS P-51,TF GS P-40,TF GS FW190
    Future Project:Top Flite GS A6M ZERO
    RIP: H9 Spitfire

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Projects like these often take years - thats half the fun. Perhaps you could pm grinder to see how he is getting on.

Last thing I recall (and I may be mistaken) is that he was running the engines in back in 2004.

Regards
    Laurenne

Technical Support
    RCV Engines - UK
    www.rcvengines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its 2010 any news????
    FL \"For the Love of Flight\"
    Close to Reality, Crazy for Detail; \"It\'\'\'\'s Not a Hobby, It\'\'\'\'s a Life Style\" AMA #2372 CD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys I had to move to a smaller house and lost my working space for the Herc so that project got put on hold. Props4ever has taken on the project. See this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...3/key_/tm.htm#

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I use Pactra Dope my wife becomes more involved in my planes. Where can I find more of this product in CDN, ?