Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV 91 CD dead sticks

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Luxuswaffe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV 91 CD dead sticks

Already the 2nd time the .91 CD dead sticks in the plane for no obvious reason. Engine was bought new and broken in burning up some tanks. It runs great on the ground. No lean setting for my understanding although I think it gets a little hot with 208 F. Outside temp. FL about 90+ F.

Any experiences out there then please post.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 AM
shonny

Default RE: RCV 91 CD dead sticks

Guess the first question is: How experienced are you with model engines?
Not to be nasty, but simply to know where to start questioning.
shonny
Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Luxuswaffe

Hmmm. Experience is a scale with no limits. I have had quite a couple over time. They all have issues of the one or other kind. Any solutions?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 AM
shonny

Reason for asking about experience is that the fault finding start on the very basic, like height of fuel tank relative to carby, restrictions on fuel line, distance between tank and engine, pressurizing working properly, no holes in fuel tubing, correct glow plug used, and so on.

Then you have cooling. The head temp should be fine. RCVs can take a bit more than other engines because they have a substantial cylinder liner, and 208F is definitely not high temp.

If you are confident all these things are correct, then it could be that you have to richen up the fuel because the engine is leaning out in flight. Not unusual. The RCVs are quite tolerant to rich mixes because the glowplug is shielded form the cool air/fuel mix coming in, so open it a bit more.

shonny
Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Luxuswaffe

The RCV 91 is running in a Skyshark FW-190 A6. Tank height is as to the story books. Setup on the ground was running great. Idle, high+low speed excellent, mixture a little rich b'cause it's leaning out up there. I know. 'Funny' thing that happened before this incident: The setscrew of the low idle turned itself in all the way down and choked the engine off. That was the 1st dead stick I had with this engine. Had it sent to RCV in service but they found the engine to be ok. Still, something must have been overseen.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
shonny

Have you checked all the fuel line and the pressure line, and the connections?
Is the clunk in the correct position and not up in front of the tank?
When does the dead-stick occur, - anytime or after a bit of running?
If the latter, the clunk may be stuck in the front of the tank. Using a length of rigid (brass or plastic) tubing between the clunk and the bung will prevent that.
Best of luck.
shonny