Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

I know this has been asked many times...

Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Joe Lott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this has been asked many times...

but I have an engine size question. I am building a Top Flite Gold Edition .60 size Corsair. The plane will have working flaps, Sierra rotating retracts, retractable steerable tailwheel, air system, servo operated landing gear doors, gear/door sequencer, scale cockpit with scale pilot, and a dummy radial. I want to turn a 17-12 or 18-12 Zinger 3 bladed prop (wood). The plane will be glassed and painted with panel lines (which means primer build-up) and I estimate that it will weigh around 12 lbs. or more. I know that a 90SP is recommended for the Top Flite Corsair kit, but feel that the 120SP would be better suited to pull this plane around with a 17" prop. What is your recommendation?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: I know this has been asked many times...

Hi

I have spoken to our Chief Technician and can advise that the Zinger 3 blade props that you intend to use will absorb between 1.8hp and 2.1hp which is more than you will get from a RCV90-SP. We would therefore recommend the use of the RCV120-SP which will produce around 2.0hp at 5600rpm.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Best regards

Stephanie
Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Joe Lott

Thanks a bunch, Stephanie. I just wanted to make sure I didn't underpower her.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

I think you're gonna make her too heavy with a 120 sized engine though... it'll fly like a brick (ok, a brick with alot of power, but still a brick). [&:]

If i were you, I'd build it 1st (with everything you want, but keep it all light as you can at every opportunity), then weigh the plane with everything except an engine in it, then add the weight of a 90SP and the weight of a 120SP into that... then see which you think would be best from a weight standpoint.

It's easy to build a flying brick with enough horsepower... takes a bit more finesse to build an airplane that flies well.

Regards and best wishes.

- Michael