Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What is the typical radio range?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 AM
K-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the typical radio range?

Can someone tell me what kind of range you guys are getting with redcat AM radio? The carwas about maybe 70 yards or so awaybefore the radio got cut and the ran away at full throttle. The batteries were just replaced before this incident and no other RCradio near by. Wasn't glitchy until radio was lost and was running it in flat parklot so nothing tobump anything off of receiver. Real disappointing as my kid was only able to play with it for few days before this happened. Owned it for littleover two weeks and axle fell out, both servos have burnt out, and now completely wrecked due to radio issue. Want to buy another for my kid and want to know if this is typical of redcat and Ishould look at other brand or just ran into bad one?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 AM
ClammyBallz

Default RE: What is the typical radio range?

I can't answer how much range to expect on AM, but I will suggest you switch to a 2.4ghz radio for better range and less interference. I can barely see my earthquake before I lose the signal.You can get one for $40.
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=DSM-2C

Get the rechargeable humpback battery pack, it gives more power to the receiver so you get longer run time and less chance of interference than AA batteries do. Or you can get Energizer rechargeables, I use them for my transmitter.

Even if you don't change the radio, you should invest in a fail safe, it will shut down the throttle on the vehicle when the receiver loses signal so the vehicle doesn't take off on you. I learned the hard way too!
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=03028

Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM
rjsdad

When I switched from the AM to FM I can tell you that I noticed a big change in the response of my buggy. The distance was so great that I would have to stop and determine which way the buggy was facing after doing donuts I could not tell which way the buggy was facing. I have a fail safe but can tell you that once I switched to the FM I never lost radio contact with my buggy. The radio I bought was the JR Racing XS3. The trim contolls used number indicators that allowed me to know exactly what my settings were for both the steering and throttle. I have the ability to adjust my turn radius. When I'm on the street I would increase the raduis allowing me to have the ability of making sharper turns. Out in the park I would decrease the turn radius sllowing me take wider turns which seems to work best and lowers the chance of me flipping the buggy over because I was moving to fast. I cannot recall the servos...I bought them as a package. I remember that I had to trim some of the plastic off to make the connections fit, but other than that no issue. I also read that my radio could be programed for other cars, trucks, etc.. eliminating the need to buy more radios for each one.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes on most rtr kits the first thing i chaned is the radio and the servos they are usually the first to go.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ClammyBallz

I can't answer how much range to expect on AM, but I will suggest you switch to a 2.4ghz radio for better range and less interference. I can barely see my earthquake before I lose the signal.You can get one for $40.
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=DSM-2C

Get the rechargeable humpback battery pack, it gives more power to the receiver so you get longer run time and less chance of interference than AA batteries do. Or you can get Energizer rechargeables, I use them for my transmitter.

Even if you don't change the radio, you should invest in a fail safe, it will shut down the throttle on the vehicle when the receiver loses signal so the vehicle doesn't take off on you. I learned the hard way too!
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=03028

All of this is great advice diffently need to follow this.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

My monsoon had the AM radio system in it before i swapped out. I could get about that range maybe more before it would start to twitch and activate my fail safe. Not that impressed by it.

But i just bought the Backdraft 3.5 and it came with DSM-2C 2.4GHz radio system and the range on this radio is wicked. I can get at least 700-800ft