Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

*Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

*Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

ORIGINAL: micah11

I can't seem to find any 8.4v batteries that fit, what did you use? Also, I'm looking to get a good body for it. Does Proline make any that fit the Caldera?
I've used these before http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racers-Edge-...item519faf4527

I have Traxxas connectors on all my ESC's so these work fine. If your still running bullet connectors you'll have to cut and solder new ends.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Dads like rc too

Forgot about the body question. I have a Volcano body on my son's Caldera right now, it's a little small. Not sure about Proline but the Traxxas Stampede body fits good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42904.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1840560  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
cuffs50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a good wheelie bar for the caldera? Will it be necessary once I upgrade to a 2s Lipo battery? What brand tires and rims will fit on it as I'm looking to upgrade them. I'm loving it so far but craving a little more speed. Any upgrades in addition to the wheelie bar I can put on for some increased stability/control? Thanks for any input.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
micah11

I'm going to upgrade to lipos, but I know practically nothing about them, other than the MaH is how much runtime you get. I see the imax b6 charger copy for $16, is there a difference between this and the genuine one?  I want a 2S lipo, but what C rating should I get?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: micah11

I'm going to upgrade to lipos, but I know practically nothing about them, other than the MaH is how much runtime you get. I see the imax b6 charger copy for $16, is there a difference between this and the genuine one? I want a 2S lipo, but what C rating should I get?
The C rating kind of tells how fast the battery can discharge , the higher the C rating, the more power the battery can dump . The sky is the limit with the C rating. Most of us use 30-40 C lipos. I can link you to what I have when I get home but it's a Turnigy 30-40 C lipo. You can get them from Hobbyking for about $22 shipped. I think it's a 4000 or 4400 mah. My son gets 25 minutes out of it in his Caldera 10e. I'm not sure about that charger, I use a Hitec. I'm sure nitrosports will jump in here and be able to tell you more than I can about the charger. He's the guy to ask about electric, I run mostly nitro.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a good wheelie bar for the caldera? Will it be necessary once I upgrade to a 2s Lipo battery?
I've never seen a commercial wheelie bar for the Caldera, but I don't think you'll need one. The Caldera has a low chassis compared to other trucks (i.e. Traxxas Slash or Stampede) so it wants to wheelie less. I'd try it without one... or maybe even buy a second front bumper (the extra loop that goes out front on the SC 10E) and put it on the back to drag.

What brand tires and rims will fit on it as I'm looking to upgrade them. I'm loving it so far but craving a little more speed. Any upgrades in addition to the wheelie bar I can put on for some increased stability/control? Thanks for any input.
For rims anything for a Stampede 4wd or Stampede 2wd fronts (not rears) would fit (they're all the same size). Those are all 2.8" rims and there are tons of tires for them since Traxxas is sold everywhere. For example these are stock Stampede rims with ProLine Badlands tires on a Caldera SC 10E (thread here)

Or, any 1/10th-scale Short Course rims and tires will also fit - all the tires are the same size (2.2" outside, 3.0" inside"). Rims for something like an HPI Blitz (rear) will make it a bit wider, for a Slash 4wd they're just about the same, and for something like an Associated SC10 2wd (rear) your Caldera will be a bit narrower: your choice! If you already have the SC 10E you'll notice regular SC tires are a bit shorter but the rims are the same (here's stock Associated SC10 2wd rubber on the left and Caldera SC 10Erubber on the right)

For more speed I'd check earlier in the thread. For about $5 you can try a pinion with an extra tooth or so, and if you're willing to spend a bit more there are several good motors and ESC's from HobbyKing or HobbyPartz (or go all the way and drop in a 1/8th-scale motor ). To begin with switch to lipo: once you've made that change you'll never want to run NiMH's again (again look earlier in the thead for some good batteries: I like HobbyKing Turnigy nano-techs)

Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM
hemlock1

Help please,

On my new redcat caldera sc 10e i plugged in the battery and smoke and small fire started from the ESC. Assume I burned the esc but why?

I guess I need to replace the esc but does anyone think it's another reason/part? I was running all stock, straight from box, incl 7.2v NiMH battery. Had approx 3 batteries of running several weeks ago and was to be the first run of the day.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Eg-r

Will the wheelie bar on the valcano fit the caldera 10e?  I can find any wheelie bar for a caldera 10e. Anyone know of a place?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Eshore

I have never needed a wheelie bar for my Caldera 10e. I runs great and fast but doesn't come off the ground much. Don't waste the money on wheelie bar.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Eg-r

What is the biggest pinion gear I can fit? I have a 15t now in there and was
Thinking of upgrading for higher speed. 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Eg-r

What is the biggest pinion gear I can fit? I have a 15t now in there and was
Thinking of upgrading for higher speed.
I think someone on one of these threads said they put a 21 tooth. Sounds crazy but I guess if you can make it work why not. Most likely though anything larger than the 15 will require slight modification of the motor mount to get your proper gear mesh.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Eg-r

I was doing the upgrade on my front and rear diff today and my stock diff look exactly like the upgraded diff. To the right. Did they already upgraded all the stock diff.?

ORIGINAL: PetRock

Public Service Announcement

After reading that the Caldera (1/10th scale) had different metal diff parts than the 1/8th and 1/6th BSD's over in the Sandstorm thread... I paid special attention when I opened up my front diff for the second time to fix it. I had spare diffs from my Shredder on hand to compare to...

... and there is a visible difference in the gears. The 1/10th part number (Caldera) is on the left, and the 1/8th / 1/6th part is on the right:

The stock Caldera ring gears that I keep stripping are a plain silver-grey colour, like the dull side of tinfoil, and their surface isn't smooth. The hardened parts on the right have a golden hue and are smoother and look more precise? (difference between injection/pressed parts and a machined part?). The upgraded gear also looks different: it only has a small raised edge tight around each screw hole (so it looks like a "+" from the top) while the stock silver part has that small edge as a flat circle that goes all the way around:

Both the stock parts on the left are stripped and I'll be putting in the hardened versions from now on. If you have diff issues in your Caldera, these are the better parts you'll want to buy:

Just Gears: BS803-027 (upgrade to BS903-105)
Diff Only: BS803-026 (upgrade to BS903-104)
Diff-with-Case: BS803-025A (upgrade to BS903-020)

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
michealgong (04-18-2023)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM
korpsaw

Hello all. I have been following this forum for a good year silently in my corner however the need to post has come. I really need a hand to identify the lieelt rubber rings included with the MPO-01 Aluminum Wheel Hex. Age has gotten the best of them. I have a heavily maintained Caldera 10E (Which I love, big time). I'm just really trying to locate or identify what those rubber rings are or where I could get more of those. Anybody?

Dad loves RC's toohas been a great help, THANKS!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 AM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you took one of your rubber orings to a hardware or plumbing store I'm sure they could find a match. They're only holding in the pins: I wrapped a thin strip of gorilla tape around mine (duct tape would work too) when one of my orings broke. Just trim it thin enough to sit in the groove.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
korpsaw

Hahaha I never though of that! Thank you for your insight. Sometimes the easiest solutions evade me...
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 AM
a-android-b

I've been running the caldera 10e since spring now and I just say it has it's upside and downside but the chassis and the stock motor are legit. The diffs I shimmed, needed after market c hubs. The plastic ones are a bad joke. How sad. I'm not even going to mention servos except the latest analog water proof 12 dollar metal gear servo has been serving me well enough. I still need to tighten up the sloppy factory steering setup. Stock motor controller is junk. The hobby king 80a I bought for 50 bucks and water proofed with liquid electrical tape doesn't even break a sweat pushing the stock motor with a 21 tooth pinion! Running the 6 dollar motor heat sink and motor never gets too hot to touch.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 AM
a-android-b

Here is a vid of one of my friends. He is new to it and just getting a feel for it and just getting over flooring it constantly lol. Even with the snow chains, it's still slippery on the ice! Caldera 10e in snow: http://youtu.be/K3cqJkrKr04
Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 AM
a-android-b

Here is a pic of my setup, there is still snow in it lol. I'm still running the factory body but it is falling apart fast in the cold.

Name:	KIMG0127.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	2047813  
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Dads like rc too

8.4v nihm will work fine and give you a nice boost. This is a great pack for those that don't have a lipo charger or aren't ready for their kids to run into curbs with a 2s lipo pack
Old 11-16-2014, 01:34 PM
a-android-b

It's not even worth not using lipo, only 26 bucks shipped for a 20c 5000mah hard pack that fits right in, no mods and the battery connectors are the same. 10 for a five hour charger and 50 bucks for one that will do the job in 30 minutes. Solid 20 minutes of hard run time with lots of power throughout the whole run. Motor, controller, and battery are slightly warm, very touchable. I've used other lipos and nimh that get unsafely hot after a run.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
sabinvols30

why does my high speed needle close when i throtle it
Old 12-08-2014, 08:56 AM
a-android-b

I'm not sure man sorry, any one know of an aluminum servo saver that will fit in the 10e? I ordered some cheap 12mm aluminum hubs but they didn't fit. Dang, at least they are cheap
Old 12-25-2014, 07:05 AM
a-android-b

I just soldered a new connector onto my esc battery leads and runtime was extended by ten minutes and definitely more noticeable punch! I didn't realize the old quick "temp" job I did with the soldering iron was so bad compared to the torch soldering that's on there now!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:17 PM
thendawg

Dont know if Im just lucky or nimh was in short supply or something, but thought I would post this here. I just got my Caldera XB 10E, and it actually came with a 3800mah 2s lipo and 2s/3s balance charger! Nice to actually get more than expected from a company.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM
davefon

I wish I got lucky and mine came with a Lipo! Anyway, I got mine for Christmas and have been bashing it ever since. I ran it stock the entire time until just recently when I put a 2s in it. So far no issues, not even with the stock servo. I did order a metal gear Hobbyking servo along with some other parts but I haven't needed any of them yet. It's been through the snow a few times with no problems. I taped a GPS to it today and got a speed of 32mph with the 2s lipo. I have some new pinion gears on order and a new Tacon 3660-540L-7T Brushless Motor 3500KV on the way. I'll GPS it then too.

So far I love it. I picked up a Sumo for indoors and it's been trouble free so far as well. I think I'll get my son a brshed Volcano for his birthday based on the reliability of the Caldera.

Name:	20150124_105155 (1).jpg
Views:	729
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	2067329   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150106_181304 (1).jpg
Views:	672
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2067330  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.