Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

*Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

*Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 AM
xxturbowesxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

ORIGINAL: PetRock

ORIGINAL: xxturbowesxx
I bought 2 2s batts and a little disappointed with the top speed.. has anyone tried changing the pinion?
Up to a 15t pinion will fit easily (stock is 13), and if your spur gear is straight maybe a 16t. (my spur had a bit of a wobble to it, that made it feel like the 16t was a bit too tight, but I could drive on it). For speed slap in a 3s battery and call it a day

Installed a 16p this morning and its more what I am looking for(35-40) with plenty of punch..

You weren't kidding about it being tight and a blast on 3s(easily 45-50)

15p is more appropriate 16p is a little tight but I may mod the mount later on.

I have some 7k diff oil which it desperately needs but I don't feel like taking apart the diffs right now.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some 7k diff oil which it desperately needs but I don't feel like taking apart the diffs right now.
Iput 10k in the front and 7k in the back... and Iwish Ihad gone up one more on each end (maybe 15k front 10k back)? But like you I don't feel like taking it all apart right now

Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM
PetRock

Racing Redcats!

I started a new post about this: but I took my SC 10E to a LHS Redcat-only drag race today: lots of people, and strangely about 2/3rds nitro? Brought my dropped Caldera to the party

Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 AM
xxturbowesxx

[quote]ORIGINAL: PetRock

I put 10k in the front and 7k in the back... and I wish I had gone up one more on each end (maybe 15k front 10k back)? But like you I don't feel like taking it all apart right now

I'm going to try 30k in the rear and leave the 7k in the front which IMO doesn't do much(needs at least 10k).

I want to be able to do some crawling and think 30k would work well all around.

Now I need to find some decent replacement screws because the ones going into the hub seem to fall out easy(better screws + CA glue).

Racing Redcats!

I started a new post about this: but I took my SC 10E to a LHS Redcat-only drag race today: lots of people, and strangely about 2/3rds nitro? Brough my dropped Caldera to the party

[img][/img]
How'd you do?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 AM
PetRock

How'd you do?
Spun out and lost to another Caldera SC actually - who went on to take 3rd place overall! Ended up parking it in a puddle which took me offline for 20 minutes while Ilet it drip dry

Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Mike St.Clair

Ok, just stumbled on this RC truck, the Caldera SC. I've heard nothing but bad reports on Redcat in general, not just opinions, from LHS's who repair everything. The Caldera's, seem to have a different reputation working. My son is looking to move up from his 1/18 scale stuff and get a 4wd 1/10th scale basher. We have never been to a track, so realistically, I doubt we will any time soon. We take them with us camping and go look for places on the weekends as our townhome has no yard.
The reviews I read on the Helion 10SC scratched that one out. Watching Jang break one on his first attempt on UltimateRC sealed that one. The others we were condidering are brushed, the Ofna Hyper 10SC and Hyper 10TT. The only brushless truck I've found is the AE SC10 Pro Comp 2wd for $250. He has $250 to spend and that's it. I think that's plenty for something we just screw around with. We already have 5 1/18th scale 4wd's collecting dust.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
PetRock

ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair
Ok, just stumbled on this RC truck, the Caldera SC. I've heard nothing but bad reports on Redcat in general, not just opinions, from LHS's who repair everything. The Caldera's, seem to have a different reputation working.
Redcat has used more than one manufacturer: I think the 1/8th Hurricane/Monsoon/Avalanche and 1/10 Vortex/Tornado/Volcano were Exceed OEMs, and had some design issues and brittle plastics (somebody correct me if I'm listing the models wrong). The newer kits aren't Exceed (HSP OEM?) - the Aftershock/Earthquake/Backdraft/Caldera lines are better put together, with a more forgiving and flexible plastics. And for the 1/10th vehicles (like the Caldera) they're using many of the parts (i.e. diffs) from the 1/8th line, so the tend to be very durable.

I still wouldn't recommend them as your first-and-only RC, simply because you may be stuck buying all your parts through mailorder (if you don't have a local reseller) - but if you've been in RC for awhile they are an excellent value. There's not many places you can buy 2.4GHz/brushless/lipo RTR for the prices Redcat is charging: and for those other brands that can match the price, there aren't nearly as many resellers out there offering the parts support.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Mike St.Clair

We have a local Redcat dealer.  I just never would have considered one based on their reputation.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, just stumbled on this RC truck, the Caldera SC. I've heard nothing but bad reports on Redcat in general, not just opinions, from LHS's who repair everything. The Caldera's, seem to have a different reputation working. My son is looking to move up from his 1/18 scale stuff and get a 4wd 1/10th scale basher. We have never been to a track, so realistically, I doubt we will any time soon. We take them with us camping and go look for places on the weekends as our townhome has no yard.
The reviews I read on the Helion 10SC scratched that one out. Watching Jang break one on his first attempt on UltimateRC sealed that one. The others we were condidering are brushed, the Ofna Hyper 10SC and Hyper 10TT. The only brushless truck I've found is the AE SC10 Pro Comp 2wd for $250. He has $250 to spend and that's it. I think that's plenty for something we just screw around with. We already have 5 1/18th scale 4wd's collecting dust.
I would recommend the Caldera line for anyone looking for a great priced, sensibly durable rc truck. I don't think you can find a comparable vehicle by other manufactures in this price range. The only problem we've had is with the front steering knuckles stripping. The aluminum upgrade is a must for these parts. Once I replaced these on my son's caldera 10e, it's been rock solid.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 AM
xxturbowesxx

I put 7k in the front and 30k in the rear and now wish I would have gone higher in the front.. the rear seems perfect for a basher and now will actually climb some rocks.

I think perfect would be 15k front 30k rear for anyone else out there(15k would work well all around too if you don't want to buy 2). Keep in mind this is for a basher but I think that's what most people do anyway.

The 16t pinion makes a big difference in speed but barely fits without ample room for adjustments. Not sure the ie difference between 15 but it impressed me on 2s where I am used to 3s on other cars.

I have been beating the life out of this thing and just keep losing a screw here and there but no broken parts. In the mean time I have broken my mini revo 3 times.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Mike St.Clair

turbowes, which one do you have?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
xxturbowesxx

turbowes, which one do you have?
I have the 10e
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
xxturbowesxx

well i had a bad day today.. bad and good

Good in the sense i got to do some crazy high speed runs on 3s

Bad in I decided to run into a tree at full speed(~50mph)

Broken front chassis, upper brace, front shock, bent screws, and steering block.

The good news is thanks to redcat's reasonable prices on replacement parts the damage comes to around $15.

basically stick to 2s at night. I live on a golf course and have front and rear lights on it which has been fine until now.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 AM
PetRock

Wow! That must have been some crash! Did the truck go spinning away from the tree... or just crumple into it? You must have heard the hit?

I almost wish you told me you broke the front bumper too - it seems to be made of such a stiff plastic that Idon't think it soaks up any impacts: it just passes them along to the chassis It would have been nice to see it take one for the team

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 AM
kashjeff

The only problem we've had is with the front steering knuckles stripping.  The aluminum upgrade is a must for these parts.  Once I replaced these on my son's caldera 10e, it's been rock solid. 
Dads like rc too
Where do ya get aluminum steering knuckles??? mine have been stripped out and i already bought stock replacements, think i paid 5 bucks for them. Are the aluminum ones expensive?   would love to find every possible aluminum upgrade and  make this thing bulletproof.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 AM
PetRock

ORIGINAL: kashjeff
Where do ya get aluminum steering knuckles??? mine have been stripped out and i already bought stock replacements, think i paid 5 bucks for them. Are the aluminum ones expensive? would love to find every possible aluminum upgrade and make this thing bulletproof.
The the online and paper manuals list the aluminum upgrade parts: steering knuckles, front/rear hubs, shock towers, pivot braces, hexes, steering bar, shocks etc... but I think they're all way too expensive. Maybe the knuckles are worth it because you can tighten their top+bottom mount screws without binding the steering... and maybe the steering bar as it rides on bearings... but the rest is too rich for my blood.

If I break a knuckle a $5 plastic replacement is going in. If I break it a second time, then I'd rethink aluminum. $37? Yikes!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:53 AM
xxturbowesxx

Wow! That must have been some crash! Did the truck go spinning away from the tree... or just crumple into it? You must have heard the hit?

I almost wish you told me you broke the front bumper too - it seems to be made of such a stiff plastic that I don't think it soaks up any impacts: it just passes them along to the chassis It would have been nice to see it take one for the team

It was a direct hit at 50mph(top speed run on 3s & 16t pinion) and it recoiled to the side after impact.

IMO I doubt any other vehicle would have survived without similar damage.

Only other crash I have had that was anywhere near this was a runaway tmaxx that broke in half from impact. It required more parts and much more money to fix.

Where do ya get aluminum steering knuckles??? mine have been stripped out and i already bought stock replacements, think i paid 5 bucks for them. Are the aluminum ones expensive? would love to find every possible aluminum upgrade and make this thing bulletproof.
The the online and paper manuals list the aluminum upgrade parts: steering knuckles, front/rear hubs, shock towers, pivot braces, hexes, steering bar, shocks etc... but I think they're all way too expensive. Maybe the knuckles are worth it because you can tighten their top+bottom mount screws without binding the steering... and maybe the steering bar as it rides on bearings... but the rest is too rich for my blood.

If I break a knuckle a $5 plastic replacement is going in. If I break it a second time, then I'd rethink aluminum. $37? Yikes!

[img][/img]

Yikes for $37 I think I'd rather have 7 plastic ones.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
kashjeff

Petrock. 
Thanks for slapping me with a little common sense. I had skimmed the manual and thought everything in the back was stock plastic replacements. I'm with you on the money. I have the stock Knuckles coming usps but if they strip or break it'll be  aluminum that goes back on.  

Mike St.Clair
Before I bought my redcat I did research for 2~3 weeks. Found bad reviews on EVERY BRAND AND MODEL.
Redcat, traxxas, losi, hpi, and every other one i could find. Turns out that SOMEONE has had a bad experience with every one of them. But for the price it was well worth it. I have only had one for a couple of weeks, probably spent as much time waiting for parts as I have in run time. BUT I have done nothing but abuse this thing from the first day. It has driven away from 6 foot jumps that made me cringe. As of right now I'm waiting on another battery, and steering knuckles.  I also need to replace a wheel, front diff is almost completely stripped, and the back of the body shattered from too many rough landings and all that happened on the last run... (1956 ford F100 coming soon.)  I love this thing and so far I'd recommend it to anyone who asked me.

Jeff

Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Dads like rc too

Dads like rc too

Jeff
I was reluctant to spend all that money on the aluminum one's myself, but after replacing two right front knuckles in a 10 day period I was convinced it was going to keep happening. It's not only the Caldera. My HPI MT2 had the same steering knuckles, and they did the same thing. Once I replaced them with the aluminum, you could actually tighten down on them. I don't have the MT2 anymore to compare them, but they looked identical except the one's for the MT2 were only like $12 on ebay. Might be worth the risk of ordering them to try them out. Here's a link to the HPI part. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-Alloy-Fr...#ht_1384wt_952
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM
PetRock

Baby update: I'm waiting on some Traxxas E-Revo springs to arrive (fit right on the Caldera shocks) and some higher body mounts... but I can still test-fit some changes to my SC 10E:

I had the body and tires on a Stampede 2wd (now sold): I have also ordered a new set of Stampede front rims since Ineed that slightly wider offset to clear the front hubs on the Caldera (the narrower rears fit, but there's not much room). Irecycle bodies and tires forever, but if you wanted to make your own bug like this you would need:

2 x PRO117300 Pro-Line Badlands 2.8" (tires)
2 x TRA5576A Traxxas Front Rims
1 x PRO323862 Pro-Line Volkswagon body
1 x BS904-016 (or BS904-017) Redcat high body post set

(Yes, you could also put Pro-Line Badlands SC tires on the stock rims: I already had this set and wanted to keep the stock wheels+tires )

Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Mike St.Clair

Bad reviews do go with everything, that's for sure.  We ended up ordering the Ofna Hyper 10SC from Tower.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 PM
nitrosteve22

Since this is the only Caldera thread is it cool to post about nitro's? I see most is electric but a Caldera is a Caldera right? Well, half a quart short of a gallon I finally broke something... Was bombing round the street and fresh cut grass with jumps at mad speed with little care and long story short I twisted my back center dogbone so I only had front wheel drive but still finished off the night... Just had to be easy on the gas. Also broke off a small chunk of body after a hard landing upside down. Got all sorts of mods going on to (F150 body like IRL rig,Winch,PL Trenchers,Ram lights,fuel/exhaust cooler + more). Caldera's rule!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 AM
xxturbowesxx

Anyone know if a 80a or 120a would be an upgrade for the caldera within the stock motor?

Just wondering which motor would work well with it.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Capn kanuckles

Just thought i would post some pics of my caldera truck and buggy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51669.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1758386  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Capn kanuckles

Just thought i would post some pics of my caldera truck and buggy.
the ground pounder body looks like it fits well. Here's a pic of my son's with a Volcano body. Notice the wheel wells, definately short but I made it work. I thought about using an Earthquake body. My Monsoon XTR body looks like it might even be a good fit, I'd just order the brushless body.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15837.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1758409  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.