Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

volcano epx upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 PM
lowrollerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano epx upgrade help

hello i just recently purchased a volcano epx...decent truck for the money...this is my first hobby grade rc, i would like to know what is the lowest gearing i could do to it(pinion size, dont know about changing out spur gear) just needing it as low as possible. ive got some tmaxx wheels and tires and 14mm adapters to put on it...next month it will be going brushless. this will be a ongoing project...thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
lowrollerman

Default RE: volcano epx upgrade help

anyone...? would really like the input
Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much any pinion that will fit on the shaft of the motor..
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM
rccrazer

cvd. it improves traction
Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 PM
lowrollerman

ok...i have another question, i just broke the right front lower arm from just a little jump...18 inches or so...gonna order parts to fix it, should i upgrade all four arms to aluminum or just stick with plastic? i have read many posts saying that to many aluminum parts make the truck heavy. the plastic is very thin where it broke(right at the hinge pin). ok back to my first post...stock top speed with the volcano is 17mph...with a 8 minute run time on 2000mah is that about right...
Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the volcano epx pro(brushless) and i also broke a stock plastic part. i thought about going alum, but dont think its worth the cash.
instead, i bought a set of traxxas e-maxx skid plates. i drilled out holes to match the screw pattern on the underside of the volcano.
see, the stock bumpers are a joke! they dont have enought give and the they dont stick out far enough. the emaxx skid plates make nice long flexable bumpers. this will help save the a-arms and wheel hubs.

i did the same thing on my exceed buggy(also brushless and shares alot of parts with the volcano) and i have jumped it at full speed 8-10 feet in the air without breaking anything!