Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

steering servo for my Backdraft 8e/Earthquake 8e

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

steering servo for my Backdraft 8e/Earthquake 8e

Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
formula87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering servo for my Backdraft 8e/Earthquake 8e

My steering servo seems to be slow and most of the time does not want to straighten out which is frustrating when on track so.............................. I know I need a new one what would I get? Looked on Hobby King lots of them on there.....
Old 12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: steering servo for my Backdraft 8e/Earthquake 8e

As long as its a standerd servo you will be ok. You would want to get a servo with the most toruqe this will make sure that the servo is strong enough to turn your wheels and find the one with the quickest respons time for the faster speed of your servo. I have also found that using the recharable hump pack batteries provides more power and faster response time. I use the 1600 hump pack rechargeable batteries in all of my vars and they works great.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: rchobbyunlimited

As long as its a standerd servo you will be ok. You would want to get a servo with the most toruqe this will make sure that the servo is strong enough to turn your wheels and find the one with the quickest respons time for the faster speed of your servo. I have also found that using the recharable hump pack batteries provides more power and faster response time. I use the 1600 hump pack rechargeable batteries in all of my vars and they works great.
I don't understand about the hump pack batts, this is an 8E version not a Nitro,.... there are so many servos out there to choose from... I do want something strong and and quick,....... where would I go to find out more about the servo I have so I don't get something w/ less performance.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Sorry I didnt not notice it was electric as far as the servo darn near any servo that you will get will be better then the ones that come with the rtr check your local hobby shop your favorite online shop and more and as noted above just check the specs and get the one with the most torque and thefastestresponse time and I am sure you will be happy with your car again. Just my personally preference I only use airtronics servo, receivers, and radio but there are several great companies that makes great servos. Hitech is verypopularand more.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: formula87

I don't understand about the hump pack batts, this is an 8E version not a Nitro,.... there are so many servos out there to choose from...[img][/img] I do want something strong and and quick,....... where would I go to find out more about the servo I have so I don't get something w/ less performance.
the stock servo is a 9kg standard sized servo. any servo with more than 9kg of force will be quicker/stronger.
servos are rated in both kg and oz of torque. the higher the better.
there is a guy on the rcu marketplace who sells a 244 oz torque servo for $30. iv had one, and it will put out much more torque than the stock servo.
also, go to the redcat website and fill out their warrenty form. im sure they will send you a replacement servo. even tho you want to upgrade, it never hurts to have a spare servo on hand for parts or a project!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Thats always a great idea to have a spare servo. I also have used that 244oz servo that is sold on RCU that is a good strong servo and great response time.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
formula87

Thanks for the replies I just want a good servo but better then stock. How can I find out how quick it was 9 kg is that like 150oz or more like 240. My LHS is telling me about one from Futaba which is good and one for about 45.00 from Hoobico? thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for the replies I just want a good servo but better then stock. How can I find out how quick it was 9 kg is that like 150oz or more like 240. My LHS is telling me about one from Futaba which is good and one for about 45.00 from Hoobico? thanks
my earlier post was incorrect. the stock earthquake 8e servo is 6kg. 1kg=35oz. so the stock servo has abut 200oz. so any servo rated at higher than 200oz of torque will be stronger.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
rchobbyunlimited

6kg. 1kg=35oz. so the stock servo has abut 200oz. so any servo rated at higher than 200oz of torque will be stronger.

Thanks for posting that that was very helpful I did not know that. Thanks alot.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 AM
formula87

Thanks, how can I find out whaty the sec 1.9-1.4-1.6- ??? ect... or the speed? so I need something 200oz or stronger digital and I want quick response.
Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

my earlier post was incorrect. the stock earthquake 8e servo is 6kg. 1kg=35oz. so the stock servo has abut 200oz. so any servo rated at higher than 200oz of torque will be stronger.
I read some where last night on an addthat a 135oz servo was 6kg where did you find out that 1kg=35oz
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
formula87

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/digital/digital-sport/hs-5645mg.html

I just looked at this one and it is 10.3 kg and 143oz  so if the Redcat 8e servo is 6kg then that would mean it is about 90oz right?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I just looked at this one and it is 10.3 kg and 143oz so if the Redcat 8e servo is 6kg then that would mean it is about 90oz right?
thats strange. what i had done was google KG to OZ conversion. thats where i got the 1kg=35oz. i did think that a 200oz stock servo was kind high. most RTR's have servos in the 90-150oz range. dont know why the conversion i found doesnt work out, but it is more likely that the stock servo is 90oz, rather than 200oz. thanx for posting that link.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Great information
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
formula87

I just went by my LHS and he showed this one from Hobbico
 #HCAM0312 CS-160 Digital High Torque/High Speed 2BB $45.00 spped was .0.17 and 110kg or ozboth at 4.8 v but he said with my 4s system on the Backdraft It would be 6.0v which would give me 0.14 speed and  131kg or oz........... I am giving myself an education in servos I did'nt really want..

Hobbico servo link http://www.hobbico.com/radioaccys/hcam1000.html

Old 12-11-2010, 08:23 AM
formula87

I found this what do you think?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9443

Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

should be strong enough. nice that it is waterproof as well.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Is 136oz of torque is strong enough? I am just asking I justprefermine to be in the 200oz plus especially for the big tires and rims for the monster truck it takes quite a bit of torque to turn on the ground and the force of the car moving forward would probably beOKon the backdraft less weight on the front end and smaller tires and wheels. Just posting my opinion and myexperiencefrom using smaller torgue servos.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Is 136oz of torque is strong enough? I am just asking I just prefer mine to be in the 200oz plus especially for the big tires and rims for the monster truck it takes quite a bit of torque to turn on the ground and the force of the car moving forward would probably be OK on the backdraft less weight on the front end and smaller tires and wheels. Just posting my opinion and my experience from using smaller torgue servos.
i too would prefer a servo with torque higher than 136 for a 1/8th scale. but since its a backdraft and im assuming it gets bashed and not raced(where you might want higher performance parts) i think it will do the job. remember, the stock servo is only around 90oz and it turns the wheels with the buggy standing still.
still, i would get one of the 244oz metal geared servos off of RCU. you can find them in the marketplace. a guy sells them for just over $30. thats more than enough torque for a backdraft.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Is 136oz of torque is strong enough? I am just asking I justprefermine to be in the 200oz plus especially for the big tires and rims for the monster truck it takes quite a bit of torque to turn on the ground and the force of the car moving forward would probably beOKon the backdraft less weight on the front end and smaller tires and wheels. Just posting my opinion and myexperiencefrom using smaller torgue servos.
i too would prefer a servo with torque higher than 136 for a 1/8th scale. but since its a backdraft and im assuming it gets bashed and not raced(where you might want higher performance parts) i think it will do the job. remember, the stock servo is only around 90oz and it turns the wheels with the buggy standing still.
still, i would get one of the 244oz metal geared servos off of RCU. you can find them in the marketplace. a guy sells them for just over $30. thats more than enough torque for a backdraft.
I agree also but in the post it also says for the earthquake 8e that would be on a monster truck and yes the 244oz that is sold here in RCU is great I have used these a couple times myself.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Hugh Betcha

I just looked at this one and it is 10.3 kg and 143oz so if the Redcat 8e servo is 6kg then that would mean it is about 90oz right?
thats strange. what i had done was google KG to OZ conversion. thats where i got the 1kg=35oz. i did think that a 200oz stock servo was kind high. most RTR's have servos in the 90-150oz range. dont know why the conversion i found doesnt work out, but it is more likely that the stock servo is 90oz, rather than 200oz. thanx for posting that link.

The conversion is right ( 1 KG = 35.27 OZ). The reason the math seems wrong is because the KG rating is per centimeter and the once rating is per inch. Using the Hitec 5645 servo as an example we know @ 4.8v it is 143 oz./in. If the specs only listed the 10.3kg./cm. and you wanted to know the oz./in.

10.3 x 35.27 = 363.281. Divide that by 2.54 (cm. in a in.) to get 143 oz./in.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 AM
formula87

I take it to the track at least 1-3 time a month and would eventually run E buggie......... so my LHS has two choices for me Hobbico is what he recomends and stocks..... he says they are better then the Futaba which he also stocks..... the Blue bird servo on Hobbyking .com was about $15 less then the Hobbico CS160 but I may get the Hobbico to give the business to my LHS........ he also has a CS150 which is...
at 6v/ 193kg /0.21 speed which he said is quicker then my Stock servo in my Slash ( whichI think is fast) the CS160 is faster at 0.14 speed and 131kg ............its a buggy and I may race it....... the diff is the CS 160 is $5 more what would you do?

link to Hobbico http://www.hobbico.com/radioaccys/hcam1000.html I wonder if the same co makes these and the servos on Hobbyking?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I take it to the track at least 1-3 time a month and would eventually run E buggie......... so my LHS has two choices for me Hobbico is what he recomends and stocks..... he says they are better then the Futaba which he also stocks..... the Blue bird servo on Hobbyking .com was about $15 less then the Hobbico CS160 but I may get the Hobbico to give the business to my LHS........ he also has a CS150 which is...
at 6v/ 193kg / 0.21 speed which he said is quicker then my Stock servo in my Slash ( which I think is fast) the CS160 is faster at 0.14 speed and 131kg ............its a buggy and I may race it....... the diff is the CS 160 is $5 more what would you do?

link to Hobbico http://www.hobbico.com/radioaccys/hcam1000.html I wonder if the same co makes these and the servos on Hobbyking?
how much do you want to spend!
any of the servos you are looking at will do a good job. if money is an issue, then the hobbyking servo is for you. if you can afford the one at the hobby shop(dont forget we gotta support them!) then get that one. you wont have to wait for shipping, and if anything should go wrong with the servo you can take it back to the hobby shop.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
formula87

I am going with my LHS just wondering which was better in performance.............
thanks

Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Yes please support your local hobby shop and follow hisrecommendationson which servo is best he has had to work with these servos day in and day out so he will prettymuchsteer you in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.