Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

**Running Nitro in cold tempratures *0-20* deg **Please help**

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

**Running Nitro in cold tempratures *0-20* deg **Please help**

Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
catbob007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Running Nitro in cold tempratures *0-20* deg **Please help**

I have a Avalanche XP on its way, and yetI am familiar with them, and the normal precautions of temperatures in the 50's to 120's Anyone have any advice for these extremely cold temperatures in North Dakota? Is their possibly a way to protect the electonics besides the baloon meathod? Or amI just being paranoid?..... Catbob007.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 AM
iluvny081

Default RE: **Running Nitro in cold tempratures *0-20* deg **Please help**

hmmm. I see there being a problem right off the bat. I think your gonna have to wait til spring to break in your new truck. You have to get the motor up to 210-230 degrees to get the piston and sleeve to wear into eachother properly. you can try breaking it in, in the cold tempuratures where you live, but I think you will experience running temps that are too cold to perform break in. but if you have a heated area like a indoor track where you can drive it around for proper break-in then that would deffinitely be the way to go. so now should you get it broke in. if your gonna run it in cold tempuratures lots and lots of smoke(well steam in that cold of temps) is good. you wanna make sure you run it rich because lean conditions happen easy when its that cold and the air is very thin. as for your electronics. if your not gonna dip them in plasti-dip i think balloons are your best bet. I hope this helps a little. enjoy your new rig and good luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 AM
catbob007

Thank you every bit helps, We do have a new heated shop with floor heat 400 feet by 200 feet that will work well thanks so after break in the temprature is still the same for running I always like O'donnells 20% and that is what i have coming with the new truck or do you suggest a more oilier blend? and the glow plug stay with a med? or change to hot or cold?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62753.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1535978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79940.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1535979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47468.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1535980  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:17 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aregoingto break in out side you can always wrap your engine in an old cut shock or something close that will hold heat and it willallowyour engine to get up to temps with no problem even in the coldalsoheat up yourenginea lil with a blow dryer this will make it a lil easier to start in the cold temps. I justprefertoalwaysuse a hot plug. How did you break in your first avalanche ?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:44 AM
catbob007

Yes I heard that sock idea but forgot thaks. my first Avalanche was broken in in 120 deg AZ weather and ran like a top till the dayI moved the larger motor loves higher temps I broke it in by the book and preheatted it with a heat gun and always when i ran it i would return the piston to BDC when done running it. before it cooled ran about 7 gallons through it and never had the engine out once. Unlike the sh18 engines like in my caldera was out numerous times and i went through many engines in the AZ heat
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm right next door in Montana, so we get simular weather. Biggest thing you gotta watch out for is the motor cooling too fast and cracking the block (did that this fall) also run a half tank through and pull your manifold and make sure your oil didn't gel from the cold. If it does it'll leave flakes of oil in the exhaust port. I know the magnum fuels (good fuel for summer) gels and chokes up the engine. I've stuck to the electric since breaking the Aftershock. Not the cars fault, just dumb red neck operator.