Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 AM
jkmccutchen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.5

Ipurchased 2 Earthquake 3.5 cars for my boys for christmas.

Well i was able to get the trucks started, but i think breaking them in is going to be a problem since its 10 degrees outside, but i was able to get them started in the garage.

Secondly, i noticed that before starting, i checked to controls and everything was working just fine. But after starting the engines, the steering control was gone. So i am not sure if somehow the servo went bad or if its the cold weather.

Iam getting a little toolkit assembled for when we do finally get these up and running.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Earthquake 3.5

You say you lost power in thesteeringservo first check to make sure it is the servo unplug the servo that is not working from the receiver inside the car and plug it up where the servo that is working and see if it still does not work if it does not work after switching the wires then yes you know that it is the servo. The cold weather should not really affect that. I hope all works out well for you on this. What a great hobby.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM
jkmccutchen

Ihave swapped the cables around, so basically i took the steering cable and plugged that into where the throttle is at, and i can control the steering when i pull/push the trigger.

But why would this happen on both trucks?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so if that happens its not the servo it is thereceivers. Contact redcat and let then know whathappenedand they will send you a replacement.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
SC-RCer

Hey JKMC,
What's your knowledge of R/C. Sounds like your troubleshooting is right on so you've probably been around the sport some. Take it from a dad that did the same thing last year with my boys, you will have a blast with these trucks. There are some quirks that I have found and you will too but use the customer service guys at Redcat and the resources on this forum and you will have success. Remember you probably bought these Redcats because you went to the local hobby store (LHS) and got sticker shock from the RTR'sthat are $450-$700 dollars for similar size vehicle. With that cost savings you can expect that some of the details on the Redcat may require some tweeking. Don't fret becasue the Redcat support is A+++ and they stand behind everything they sell 100%. Be patient and maybe upgrade a thing or 2 and you'll still be $200 ahead for similar amount of bashing fun. Keep those engines running rich in that ultra cold weather because that cold dry air will lean them fast when rev-ing them up. Those temps really make the plastic brittle too so go easy on the jumps and hard impacts until it's above freezing.
Lastly, before you get too many hours on those EQ's check all six differential gearboxes (3 on each truck). Redcat often ships them dry or with very little lube. You will chew the gears up pretty quick. See your LHS guys for oil recommendations for those kind of temps. Check out the "Diff fluid" thread onthis forum as we have had quite a conversation regarding this topic and our Redcat products.

Have fun!!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM
SC-RCer

just remembered that your Earthquakes have a 2-speed tranny so you only have a front and rear differential. The 2-speed trannys should be kept dry as far as I know. Only the diffs need the oil. Some folks on here have posted that they appliy a very small amount of grease to the tranny gears but most recommend to keep them sealed and dry. Others may recommend to lube the tranny bearings but this needs to be a very controlled event so that excess oil does not get into the rest of the tranny.

Hope all that helps