Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Nitro Backdraft 3.5 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Nitro Backdraft 3.5 ?'s

Hello to all.......

I just purchased a Backdraft 3.5 Nitro a couple days ago, I dont have the buggy yet but since I ordered it I have noticed that there doesnt seem to be nearly as much info. out there for it as the other Redcat vehicles, this concerns me a little because now I'm second guessing my purchase a little....... I found a few vids on youtube that show the car in action which look pretty good but a couple of the vids I found on there by a fellow who calls himself " devilsreject78" claim that much of the major parts of the car need to be upgraded inorder for them to hold up, he talked about the front end parts breaking real easy and the spur gear being a major weak point and now this worries me a little, I wish I had know of this forum before I made the order because now I'm thinking I might have gone a different route possibly.

This will be my first Nitro Buggy, I do have some experience with the Nitro engine many years ago when I had a small ntro plane, and I've had a few of the cheaper electric buggies way back when they were not nearly as good as they are now, I have dealt with 2 smoker engines a lot I have 3 bicycles that I put 66cc 2 smoke engines on and I've worked on and tuned chainsaws ect. for years so the Nitro engine will not be an issue for me at all, but as I said earlier I'm feeling a little concerned about the Backdraft Buggy holding up after the 2 vids I watched made by the fellow I mentioned above.

Sorry this is so long guys, I'm a talker and I got some questions for you fellas who have experience with this Buggy.......! Thanks in advance for any and all the help and/or advise given for my questions here.

ShanG.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Nitro Backdraft 3.5 ?'s

i had the backdraft 3.5. it did pretty well for me. i sold it because i like electrics better.
i dont know what devils reject does to his RC's. i bash mine pretty good and the plastic parts held up just as well as other brands. i had the stock throttle servo fail, and redcat replaced it. the motor ran pretty good-was easy to start and tune(and thats for me and i suck at running nitros)

also, the backdraft 3.5 shares the same electronics/motor/drivetrain with the earthquake and aftershock 3.5's. so any info you find on them pretty much applies to the backdraft 3.5 as well. hope that helps some.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 AM
1ofmyfuns

Yes that helps knowing that the other models share many of the same parts.

Would you recom. that I do some work on the diff's like checking the gear spacing and adding a quality grease before I run the buggy?

I have seen several post on here with issues concerning the diff's and their lack of grease or them having to much slack in the gears which lead to striping the gears.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesdiffidentlycheck the diff fluid my backdraft 3.5 cancompletelydry Ididn'tdo any shimming to it. I had to fill up the diff fluid in the front and the rear. I have had one for over a year now but other then that I have not had any problems with it. I does not get driven that much now as my other cars but when I dodecidedto pull it out its always ready to go.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM
1ofmyfuns

Thanks for the info.

By the way I dont want to open a can of worms here because I know thereare probably quite a few opinions on the subject but from your experience what works best for you in the way of differential Fluid?

I'm not sure whatI shoulduse.......

I've been looking for a thread on the issue and have not yet found much info.

Thanks in advance...ShanG.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Here is some information from this fourm

Front
Thinner :

increases steering into corners (off-power)
if oil is too thin the steering may become inconsistent, especially it can lose forward traction (and steering) during acceleration out of corners

Thicker:

increases stability into corners during braking
increases steering on-power at corner exit
.................................................. .......... ........................
Center
Thinner:

front wheels unload more during acceleration
decreases on-power steering (reduces oversteer)
easier to drive on rough tracks
if a high-power engine is used you could waste too much power and sometime “cook” the oil in the center diff erential because it “overloads”

Thicker:

more all-wheel drive effect
better acceleration
increases on-power steering (reduces understeer)
better suited on high-bite, smooth tracks
car can be more nervous to drive especially if a high power engine is used - you might need to be smooth on the throttle

.................................................. .......... .........................
Rear
Thinner:

increases cornering traction
increases steering into corner
Thicker:

decreases rear traction while cornering
reduces wheelspin

I perfer to use around 2,000 or 3,000 in the front and between 5,000 and 7,000 in the rear.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
1ofmyfuns

OK.....Thanks for the info. I'm new to this and have no idea what those #'s mean " Front Diff.2000 or 3000" - Rear Diff. 5000 or 7000 ", I'm guessing this is refering to some special purposeR/C diff. oils that I'm not at all farmiliar with.

any good sources on where Ican purchase these at?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
1ofmyfuns

I just did a quick search and found this source for many differnt brands of the diff. oils looks like many types at diiferent price ranges, the price is not a concern of mine on this product I just want the best protection Ican get so hopefully I'll have few issues in this area with my new buggy.

heres the link to the site i'm looking at:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...aners-Diff-Oil
Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 AM
rchobbyunlimited

You can get them here http://www.rcspeedmarthobbies.com/Diff-Oil_c_19.html

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Thats what theforumis for to ask questions so please do ask any questions that you may have there are some greatknowledgeablepeople on here that are more then willing to share there information andexperiences.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
1ofmyfuns

Thank you very much, i dont even have my buggy yet and I'm already having a blast just learning and doing research, Mods, Reaserach and Tweaking things that have to do with my many hobbies is always a fun thing for me even though at times a little stressful..........!

And thanks for the link, I'm assuming I'll be donating to your cause by purchasing there and if that is the case that will be a great way to repay you for your trouble and time for your answers to my newbie questions.............LOL

By the way the same goes for you too" nitrosportsandrunner " you have also contributed to this thread and Iremember seeing whre you are a Redcat dealer so Iwill be happy to purchase from you as well, hope you dont mind me adding this to this post rchobbyunlimited, just figured I needed to be fair with things being that you have both helped me here.......

Thanks again to all...... I'm learning and enjoying every minute of it...!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Urchobby.com
Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM
1ofmyfuns

rchobbyunlimited, just checked out your site and just wanted to tell you it looks great, thanks again.....
ShanG.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 AM
1ofmyfuns

Urchobby.com is out of the silicone oil and the only weight they show is the 1000....
but looks to be another good site just the same...
Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Thanks very much anything I can do to help all the people on here are very helpful so you are in good hands. Thanks again.