Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado S30 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
SmgHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado S30 Tuning

I have a new Tornado S30 here that I just got done breaking in. I was wondering where I should set my needles at from flush and what glow plug I should use? The temerature here in Missouri is 30 degrees to 40 degrees. I am using 20% nitro.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado S30 Tuning

when i got done breaking in my nitro, i just leaned out the high and low speed needles alittle more and she was good to go.
its hard to tell someone what needle setting to use. every motor will take a different setting, especially with temp and humidity differences.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM
SmgHunter

I have mine running kind of rich cause fuel is spitting out of the exaust so I will lean it out. What about glow plugs?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SmgHunter

I have mine running kind of rich cause fuel is spitting out of the exaust so I will lean it out. What about glow plugs?
glow plugs will eventually burn out and need replacing. if you have trouble starting the motor then always check the glow plug before messing with the needle settings.
if she is spitting fuel out the exhaust then you can surely lean her out.
the trick to tuning any nitro motor is to turn the needles in VERY small amounts. starting with the high-speed 1st. tune that needles untill she sounds good at WOT. you shouldnt see fuel/oil spitting out the muffler, but there should be a stream of visable smoke. if there is no smoke, then it is too lean and you need to add fuel.
after that is set good, tune the low-speed needle so that the buggy accelerates good-without any sputtering or bogging.(bogging means too rich, and sputtering means to lean.)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
u4iia

I have a Tornado S30 as well. I just broke mine in as well. I just started tunning today. Right after my break-in I turned both low and high a 1/8 turn and have been running with that setting. Im still spitting out fuel and oil so I have a ways to go. It will get up and buggy though. I cant wait to get it dialed in. I think I enjoy just tuning and tinkering as mush as driving it.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 AM
1ofmyfuns

I just wanted to ring in here and agree with what u4iia said about tuning and tinkering.......Ihave not even got my buggy yet and I'm already looking forward to the tuning and the tinkering with some upgrades and such, this will be my first Nitro buggy, but I've tuned on 2 smokesr for years so I understand them pretty well and really enjoy the entire proccess of tuning them and keeping them running good.

I guess it's just the satisfaction of playing with something and knowing that it's doing what it is because of the time and effort we've put into it to get it right.........I'm like you u4iia doing all the steps including the trial and error tuning &tweaking is half the fun.........!

Hope ya'll dont me me busting in here with this, I'm just a little excited thats all......Peace!

ShanG.

ORIGINAL: u4iia

I think I enjoy just tuning and tinkering as mush as driving it.