Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

(Spur gear questions....)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Spur gear questions....)

I plan toget a small supply of spare parts for my backdraft 3.5 and am wondering if there are any disadvantages to using the STEEL Spur gear over the standard one.

Iknow that the Steel Gear is much stronger but Ialso know that sometimes putting to strong of a part in the wrong place can in turn destroy another part that is much more trouble and expense to fix orreplace.

Is the standard Spur gear a weaker point possibly for the purpose of saving a worse potential headache in the center diff?

Or is it just a weaker part used by the manufacturer for cost savings?

I know I can replace 2 standard gears for what one of the steel gears cost, but I want to know from you fellas that have experience here which is the smartest and best choice in the long run... ( Pro's &Con's ) of each.

Thanks in advance to all who coment here.....
ShanG.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM
kelynsdad1023

Default RE: (Spur gear questions....)

if you put the steel spur in you need to make sure the gear mesh is dead on otherwise the bell gear will strip and what not. I put a steel spur gear in my earthquake didn't set it right stripped the bell gear and lost my engine crankshaft.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 PM
1ofmyfuns

Default RE: (Spur gear questions....)

Thank you for the great info. this easily answers my question, I plan to use a good dry film teflon lubricant on all things exposed so maybe that will help some alone with having the spacing set correct on the standard gear, I will try my luck with the standard gears before I consider giving the steel one a shot since the standard spur gear is so cheap and very simple to replace.

Thanks again, kelynsdad1023

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

if you put the steel spur in you need to make sure the gear mesh is dead on otherwise the bell gear will strip and what not. I put a steel spur gear in my earthquake didn't set it right stripped the bell gear and lost my engine crankshaft.