Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado S30 What happened???

Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
jpowell189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado S30 What happened???

Just got a new Tornado S30 one week ago for christmas. Went through all the break in processes and finaly got to play around with it. On my first run one of the front dog bones fell out and Ionly had three wheel drive. Isee people posting on here about that being a problem and how to fix it so that is fine. Yesterday I went to drive it for the second time and something different happened. Was just driving it around the local school parking lot and suddenly the engine raced and the brakes wouldn't work. Went over to the car and noticed a rear dog bone was missing and there was oil all over the back right side of the car. Engine runs fine but I get no acceleration or braking. The gears are fine so they only thing I can guess is the rear dif must have destroyed itself. Does the rear diff have oil in it? Do these redcat cars have a lot of problems like this? I'm new to this hobby and Iknow things break but after two drives? Ithought about calling RedCat customer service but that probably wont do any good. I've attached pictures. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Justin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47195.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1541459   Click image for larger version

Name:	xs56956.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1541460  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado S30 What happened???

its not a good idea to drive any 4wd RC in just rwd. this is because all of the power is now just going to one diff(in this case the rear) and may have damaged it.
however, its very possible that if you replace the front and rear dogbones it will be fine.
see, the diffs will send the power from the motor to the wheel that can turn the easiest. in this case, both the front and the rear diffs are sending power to the wheel that has no dogbone.

you may want to upgrade to the steel CVDs. they are stronger than the dogbones and dont ever bind on the drive cubs like the dogbones can(this is often what will cause them to snap.

it would be a good idea to take your rear diff apart and check the gears. if it all looks good, add some diff lube or grease when you put it back to together.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 PM
jpowell189

Is there that much oil in the rear diff? Where can Iget steel CVD's? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jpowell189

Is there that much oil in the rear diff? Where can I get steel CVD's? Thanks.
i dont think the oil is from the rear diff. its very likely that your engine is still rich and the oil is comming from the exhaust. i have never seen or heard of a stock diff breaking in such a way that it got oil all over the place. redcat doesnt put much lub in the case to start with.
its ver common to have alot of oil on the side of the chassis that the muffler is on.
you said this was the 1st run after breakin, so im assuming is the 1st time you had it going fast. the speed cause the oil coming out of the exhaust to spray back on the chassis.
you should also check the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the motor, as well as the bolts that hold the cooling head to the motor. if any of them are alittle loose, then some fuel/oil could be coming from there.

i can get you the steel cvd's. URChobby.com most likely has them as well. you might even be able to find them on ebay.
i just bought some for my volcano.
you are looking at about $35 shipped for a set of 4 cvd's.
but i havent had my stock dogbones break often. its possible that there was too much play in the drive cups(causing the dogbones to move around to much)
its a common practice to put a small piece of fuel tubing in the drive cup, to hold the dogbone in place while still allowing it to move alittle with the suspension. a pair of stock dogbones is $12.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
jpowell189

Thanks for your help. Took the rear diff apart and everything seems fine. Gonna look in to getting those upgraded parts you told me about. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for your help. Took the rear diff apart and everything seems fine. Gonna look in to getting those upgraded parts you told me about. Thanks again.
here is the part number, and a pic of the CVD's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83635.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1541602  
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
motor-head82

to jpowell189
re"> i just bought the same buggy and had the same problem with the dogbones (first run out). for the cvd they should already be the steal ones so you shouldnt need to replace them, i would however look and make sure everything is tight because i had to tighten just about everything on mine when i got it, second run out i already cracked both rear wheels! also be aware of the battery slidding around and cracking the on/off switch inside battery/receiver box, hope some of this helps to know what to plan for!......anybody know some good 12mm 4wd buggy wheels??? 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

how did you crack the rear wheels? my tornado epx pro has the same wheels/tires and they have been going strong all year, with some serious bashing from me!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
jgillum

My wheels are also busted up a bit from accidental flips in the road were I turn a little sharp at to fast ah speed.

Replacements on the way but wont go on until these are completely shot.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jgillum

My wheels are also busted up a bit from accidental flips in the road were I turn a little sharp at to fast ah speed.

Replacements on the way but wont go on until these are completely shot.

i see. i do most of my hard bashing and jumping on grass. i run the buggy on pavement, hit the jumps and land on grass. my rims to have some nasty scratches, but nothing cracked or broken yet.
it is hard for thin plastic rims to hold up when these buggies(nitro or brushless version) can hit 40+MPH! take a flip at that speed and its the rims that get smacked into the ground the most.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 AM
jgillum

Yea, it didnt take me but about two good flip sessions to bust them up to this point. Hey, quick learner here though, lol, I now slow down more and turn.

Can I ask how the tires come off the wheels?

Are they glued on?

Because once the wheels are busted up the tires should still be good to go, Id like to run old tires until wore then switch to the new tires....
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yea, it didnt take me but about two good flip sessions to bust them up to this point. Hey, quick learner here though, lol, I now slow down more and turn.

Can I ask how the tires come off the wheels?

Are they glued on?

Because once the wheels are busted up the tires should still be good to go, Id like to run old tires until wore then switch to the new tires....
there is this stuff at hobby shops called debonder. its to loosen the glue that holds the tire onto the rim.
but honestly, its never worked well for me. i have used it to tear a old tire off a rim....to re-use the rim. but i have never had a tire come off whole so that it could be re-used. its possible to do so, its just a real pain.
tires and rims for buggies are relatively cheap.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 AM
jgillum

Cool, was jus wondering if they were glued or just on there really tight, I havent tugged on the tire too much yet.

They use Debonder here at work so I can just get a bottle of it for free. Thanks for your responce.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
motor-head82

to nitrosport,
re"> im not to sure, to many rolls on hard dirt i guess..i was surprised how easy the nitro buggy flips just in a slide! im not to worried about it ill figure out something solid with foam inserts for the next set.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: motor-head82

to nitrosport,
re''> im not to sure, to many rolls on hard dirt i guess..i was surprised how easy the nitro buggy flips just in a slide! im not to worried about it ill figure out something solid with foam inserts for the next set.

the fact that the tornado comes without foam in the tires may be part of why it can flip so easy. it doesnt really bother me, i use mine basically for jumping.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 AM
jgillum

So it will help the rolling by filling the tires?

Ihave been looking into the tire inserts and wondering if they would help much.

May fill my old set with some foam to check out the differences.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

So it will help the rolling by filling the tires?

I have been looking into the tire inserts and wondering if they would help much.

May fill my old set with some foam to check out the differences.
i would think so. the tires must roll under the rim with no support from a foam. and if the tire rolls(flattens basically) then that can induce a roll.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 PM
jpowell189

In a little over a week of driving I have now broken 4 dog bones and and cracked a rim. I've ony hit something one time and that didn't do any damage. The damn dog bones just break while regular driving down the street. Am Idoing something wrong or are these cars just cheap? Ireally want to like this car but I spend more time fixing it then driving it.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

In a little over a week of driving I have now broken 4 dog bones and and cracked a rim. I've ony hit something one time and that didn't do any damage. The damn dog bones just break while regular driving down the street. Am I doing something wrong or are these cars just cheap? I really want to like this car but I spend more time fixing it then driving it.
it does seem a bit strange that you broke 4 already. i have broken 1 in my volcano epx pro. and i dont drive her gently.

i will be looking soon to find out if the dogbones from any other RC's fit. i already checked the e-firestorms. they are the right lenght, but the ball end is too big to fit in the drive cup.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
motor-head82

kinda weird on the dog bones im ruff on my tornedo broke back2 wheels all the way, cracked 1 front wheel,bent front shock tower all the way back into body, bent front main underbody up, still havent broke a dog bone, kinda wonder if there isnt somthing binding on yours?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 AM
macdo

Hi All, this is my first post and also the Tornado S30 is my first RC Car, so please be kind

I think I have the same problem I was in the 6th fuel tank and the transmission stopped working (the engine is fine - goes up in rpm but the car not moves), I looked the gears from the bottom and they look fine.
One thing I noticed that if I move forward the back tires together it does what is supposed (move the gears and front tires) but if I move backwards they get stuck, I don't remember how was this before the incident and I don't know if this is normal.

I would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks and best regards,
Martin
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Capn kanuckles

Did you check your dogbones,diff,trans?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
macdo

Thanks for the fast reply!
No I didn't, I don't really know where to start from.

Is it normal that the tires don't spin backwards?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
cswtornado

Hmmm... Tires shud spin freely at all times unless the brakes are engaged.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
motor-head82

for the wheels not going backwards, mine did that also my gear mesh was a little to tight, use the paper trick in the manual and that will fix the gearing, for the not moving part my guess is that being the gears not set wright you may have killed the clutch bell already, i have heard of these burning up fast before. im not positive on this but if everything else looks good i would look towards the clutch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.