Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tornado S30 top speed

What is the top speed on a Tornado S30? Also what is the range with a 2.4 ghz remote?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tornado S30 top speed

whats the TOP speed, or whats the top speed STOCK?
    i know they can do 35MPH easy. tuned well faster than that. add some "go fast" goodies and it can go faster.

the remote will control the car till the point you can hardly see it. even tho the redcat 2.4 radio is the least expensive 2.4ghz on the market, its still much better than a FM or AM radio.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well stock do you think they can go around 60 MpH?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SmgHunter

Well stock do you think they can go around 60 MpH?
    nope. maybe 45mph tops.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the sake of discussion...where could you go that would allow you to reach speeds up to 60 (if it was able to)?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rjsdad

For the sake of discussion...where could you go that would allow you to reach speeds up to 60 (if it was able to)?
    im sure you could gear it up some. sacrafice low-end acceleration and torque for top speed.
    other than that im not sure. there might be other pipes which could increase performance, specifically at max RPMs. agian, sacraficing low-end for high end perfromance.
    you might be able to run higher nitro fuel. im not an expert on nitro motors, or the tornados motor. but i do know that most nitro motors can be tuned to run on 30% nitro fuel. it will get higher performance, but be harder to tune and wear down the motor quicker.

the easiest way to get 60mph is to get a buggy designed to run that fast. but its gonna cost more than $200 for sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL gonna need a nice stretch for a 60mph buggy, mine doing 45 by me seems unreal.

I cant imagine controling 60mph .....not at the moment anyways lol gimme 4 or 5 months .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jgillum

LOL gonna need a nice stretch for a 60mph buggy, mine doing 45 by me seems unreal.

I cant imagine controling 60mph .....not at the moment anyways lol gimme 4 or 5 months .
    it does take some getting used to. i had a rustler vxl with a 3s lipo that would hit 55mph( i had it geared low for offroading) and at that speed a tiny input to the steering could cause a barrolroll really easy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was just wondering cause the dealer on ebay said 60+ MPh which I thought was redicuasly high of a speed. Lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was just wondering cause the dealer on ebay said 60+ MPh which I thought was redicuasly high of a speed. Lol
    some people will do anything to make a sale.
    the tornado is a decent chassis with a good SH brand motor. but no way will it do 60mph. you need a buggy with a much bigger motor for that. and to get that kinda speed you have to spend a fair more $$$.

We dealers are not supposed to do that kinda stuff. the redcat website makes NO claims about the speed of the tornado S30. and as a dealer, we are only supposed to use the info redcat supplies to put in our ads.
    you also have to be careful on ebay, because there are some people who are selling redcats below MAP(minimum advertised price) which redcats sets.
    if they are selling below that price, then its very likely that you are not buying direct from redcat. this could cause an issue if you need to get something replaced that is under warrenty. this bugs me, but i know that there is no way for redcat to check every ebay and in order to put a stop to such false advertising claims and selling below MAP.
    dealers are also supposed to use the Redcat racing name, and have a redcat racing banner pic in their ad.
    When you buy from myself, or the other redcat dealers on RCU, the orders go right to redcat and are shipped right from the warehouse in AZ.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And what do you mean by go fast goodies?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And what do you mean by go fast goodies?
    well, there are more mods than anything else.
    i think there are differnt sized spur gear and bell gear, to change the gearing.
    there is a alum air filter that seems like it would provide more airflow.
    there is a alum fuel filter. wont help the speed, but its a nice thing to have on any nitro to keep the performance up.
    there are ways to mod a pipe that will change performance. its nothing i have done before, but i have read about it.
    again, one could breakin the motor and tune it to run on higher nitro fuel. i dont suggest this, but someone who has experience with nitro motors could do it and it would be faster.

the aftershock and backdraft 3.5 from redcat does more like 50MPH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine was clocked in at 47mph, That's with tuned headers and aluminum pipe, stiff shocks, ported piston sleeve, A LOT of weight reduction, And on pavement, 60mph is them just trying to make a sale, I'm sure if I got into tuning the gearing I could reach 50mph but at 47mph it was getting really hard to control 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

Mine was clocked in at 47mph, That's with tuned headers and aluminum pipe, stiff shocks, ported piston sleeve, A LOT of weight reduction, And on pavement, 60mph is them just trying to make a sale, I'm sure if I got into tuning the gearing I could reach 50mph but at 47mph it was getting really hard to controlΒ*
    so to say they do 35-40mph stock is correct right? how did you reduce weight?
    the s30 version comes with a tuned alum pipe. did you fit a different one, or did you start with an older model than the s30?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have any links for the gears and alloy air filter?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have any links for the gears and alloy air filter?
    here is a pic of the alloy air filter.
    when i looked up the spur gear for the s30 on redcats website, it shows a 47t and a 42t. i dont own a nitro tornado, so im not sure which one is the stock spur. if the stock spur is 47, then putting the 42t will increase top speed.
    www.urchobby.com is a good redcat dealer with a nice website to buy parts from. i dont have a website yet, i just sell though the forums and on ebay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36856.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	1542523  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright thanks. One more thing, do you know where I could find the peice of plastic that is on top of the shock that connects to the top of the shock tower Because I flipped it in the street a couple of times so know the plastic is almost ground to nothing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, 35-40 is a good number for stock, I'm sure I could get mine to go 50 right now but having troubles with the 2speed tranny and a crap stock radio so yes I have the older model, weight reduction consited of custom aluminum rims which were each 22 grams lighter than stock plastics, custom rear wing, Did some shaving here and there on some plastic parts and aluminum chassi, Removed battery box and replaced with a custom setup. Have a couple more ideas but I'm affraid it will jepardize the structure and strength of the chassi and the buggy over all.

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

Mine was clocked in at 47mph, That's with tuned headers and aluminum pipe, stiff shocks, ported piston sleeve, A LOT of weight reduction, And on pavement, 60mph is them just trying to make a sale, I'm sure if I got into tuning the gearing I could reach 50mph but at 47mph it was getting really hard to control
    so to say they do 35-40mph stock is correct right? how did you reduce weight?
    the s30 version comes with a tuned alum pipe. did you fit a different one, or did you start with an older model than the s30?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright thanks. One more thing, do you know where I could find the peice of plastic that is on top of the shock that connects to the top of the shock tower Because I flipped it in the street a couple of times so know the plastic is almost ground to nothing?
    do you mean the plastic eyelit on the top of the shock that snaps onto the silver ball on the stock tower?
    i dont think you can get those seperately. they are part of the shock cap.
    there are alum shock caps sold for other trucks where the eyelit is also alum. but im not positive if they fit on the tornado's shock bodies.

i would suggest moving the silver ball piece to a lower hole on the shock tower. this will put the plastic eyelit below the alum of the shock tower itself. thats how i have mine setup. this not only keep the plastic from getting scratched up, but puts less stress on the shock tower as well. i attached a pic of mine so you can see what i mean by lowering the upper shock mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk24947.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	1542610  

Hi
    How do I stop my Tornado S30 fast as in the video below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0_16eEPqE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quickest way to stop the nitro engine is to put ur finger over the exhaust hole. If u do it right it wont burn u. Just,a quick finger place and move
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Just strapped a gps to my s30 and it hit 45mph stock. I had it on the rich side as well with clear visible smoke. Duratrax temp read just a little past 200 degrees. I just bought a new Rustler vxl and ran it on the same day (within minutes apart) and it did 38MPH. Go redcat this was stock vs stock. I love my s30