Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

center diff locked up on Backdraft 3.5...!!!!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

center diff locked up on Backdraft 3.5...!!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center diff locked up on Backdraft 3.5...!!!!

Dang-it guys this aint good.........I finally got my fuel today and started my buggy for the first time, I let it just idle for 2 full tanks of fuel after setting the carb to where it would stay running, and then after filling it up the 3rd time, I decided to just run it around the back yard idled up just fast enough topull the buggy around, I had planned on doing this for a couple of tanks and then on the 5th one drive it a little bit faster to help finish up the good ole break-in.

Well, this buggy had other plans in mind............after only 1-2 minutes of running at the fast idle on the 3rd tank she just all at once stopped in its tracks.....the engine was still pur-in like a kitten and all looked fine but when I gave it a tad bit of throttle the engine reved a little but the buggy just sat there so Ipicked it up and rotated each wheel independently and they all turn easy and smooth, I then held one back wheel still and tried to rotate the other locked........ I then rotated just one at a time the front wheels each alone turn just fine, then I held one of them still and tried to rotate the other and same result as back locked.........

I then carried the buggy over and put it down on a table and pushed it in the forward direction and all 4 wheels are locked when I try to push it.

So, I have a center diff. that is locked up with about 1-2 mins of 1-2 MPH use on it..........this isn't at all making me very happy about the $200+ I just spent on this thing, I planned on working on it and having to replace diff's and other things in the drive train but not untill I had actually run the buggy a bit and maybe even roughed it up a little.

Anyway, I will be pulling the center diff out and taking alook at it, is there any particular something I should be looking forin thisdiff when I get into it........I'm asking this question to the ones whohave already repaired and/or replaced these diff's.

Thanks all and I look forward to hearing some points of view and things toconsider when I get it off and opened up.

ShanG.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
c54fun

Default RE: center diff locked up on Backdraft 3.5...!!!!

Sounds just like what happened to my backdraft 8e. Mine ended up being the rear pinion broke in two. Center diff was fine.

Sorry you had troubles first time out. That sucks.

Mine was just a bad casted pinion. Its holding up great now.

Let us know what you found out.

Terry

Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: c54fun

Sounds just like what happened to my backdraft 8e. Mine ended up being the rear pinion broke in two. Center diff was fine.

Terry

agreed, it could be your front or rear diffs pinion gear. i dont think the center would be as likely.
i would open up the rear diff 1st. if the pinion gear is broken, get a new one and then fill out the warrenty form on redcats site. make sure and let them know that you havent even broken in the motor yet and that the part must have been faulty.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
1ofmyfuns

Yeah I will, front and rear diffs both seem fine the best I can tellso far.......of coarse this could very wellchange when I get into itfurther tomorrow, but when any rotation pressure is put on the center diff it's just locked tight as a jug........ and yes I will agree with you on the "that sucks" part for sure....!

Thanks for the replyand I will be posting the tear down results just as soon as I know something for sure.

ShanG.

Terry

Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

please do post your findings. take pics to.
its alittle bit fun to post the damage i do to my RC's. its like they get battle scars.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
1ofmyfuns

If only my issue came from battle scars.......! my is idle during break-in scars........! and then something besides the engine breaks......!

Oh My.......! and here we go into the wnderful world of lets fix something before we even have a chance to have a legit breakage....!

Yea Haw!

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

its alittle bit fun to post the damage i do to my RC's. its like they get battle scars.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: 1ofmyfuns

If only my issue came from battle scars.......! my is idle during break-in scars........! and then something besides the engine breaks......!

Oh My.......! and here we go into the wnderful world of lets fix something before we even have a chance to have a legit breakage....!

Yea Haw!

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i do know your pain. on my backdraft 3.5 the recoil broke half way through breaking in the motor!
then after i broke in the motor the throttle servo lasted 3 tanks.
but after i got the replacements from redcat, it ran very well. i suck at running a nitro but that motor fired up soo nice and easy after the breakin was completed.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
1ofmyfuns

OK just wanted to let ya'll know that after further review it looks like it's the rear diff that's locked up, each rear wheel will turn fine by itself but if I try to turn both rear wheels at the same time they are locked down and I can see no movement in the drive shaft going up to the center diff. I think this is a pretty good indicator that it's in the rear as nitrosportsandrunner had suspected and advised me on.....

The rear diff is coming off and then I'll see what I have to do next.

just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again all, ShanG.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
1ofmyfuns

Yep it's for sure the rear diff, now for the tear down.....!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 PM
c54fun

Here is the rear pinion that broke on mine. Yours may be the same? You can clearly see the defect in the metal.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Here is the rear pinion that broke on mine. Yours may be the same? You can clearly see the defect in the metal.

nasty. did you let redcat know? i would even send them the pic.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
c54fun

No I just ordered a few gear sets to keep on hand.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

No I just ordered a few gear sets to keep on hand.
thats fine. im not sure if redcat would send you a replacement. but it wouldnt hurt to ask. plus, they need to know if weak/defective parts are showing up in their stuff. without feedback from us, how can they improve?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
1ofmyfuns

Yep that looks pretty nasty, I'll find out tomorrow if I have a simular situation,

it would be nice if they were using a high grade brass pinion gear and a good! steel or stainless ring gear instead of the cast steel stuff.

oh well its all about money and selling parts after the major item purchase to some extent, I understand that, but at the same time there is cheaper material and then there is junk materials and there are flawed cheaper materials, I hope i'm dealing with the latter of these three from here on out and not come to find out that all the critical parts are junk.