Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

ReCat Delivered Yesterday.... In Repair Today- Not Happy

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ReCat Delivered Yesterday.... In Repair Today- Not Happy

3 runs in after breakin
the spur gear fried already.
the steering linkage snapped
and i just find the rear wheel wasnt seated all the way in the hex.
GGGrrrr

i did my research to find a good tough car and i am so mad right now

I Temp Suer Glued It
i Ordered a new aluminum one today

i emailed xenon.com and told them how mad i am. maybe i will get a free part or credit or something. i gotta have some kinda warrenty right?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Wo81

Default RE: ReCat Delivered Yesterday.... In Repair Today- Not Happy

That's a bummer. I'd take this time to go over the entire truck and check for loose screws and the like. Locktite any metal to metal screws. Maybe back your slipper of a 1/4 turn or so when you get your new spur installed. Set the mesh as tight as you can get it, with the gears being able to spin freely all the way around. Should be just the tiniest amount of play. Use a couple drops of blue locktite on your engine screws and let it dry for a couple of hours. Longer in cool conditions. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Mickstix

Bummer it busted on ya so fast. That's never any fun.. That's the thing about these mass produced/low expense models.. Ya need to go over them closely, before cutting them loose.. Stuff like gear mesh and wheels being seated, screws needing loctite, etc. etc. all needs to be checked out..I can see from your pic, the spur gear mesh needs to be tighter.. As was mentioned above, it needs to be tight. As tight as you can get it, but still be able to wiggle the spur and not have the pinion move.. Here's what my mesh looks like (below) and my spurs look nearlynew still.. Good luck on the replacement parts! (Also, be warry of going to all aluminum or metal.. All that usually does is cause something further down the line to break. And usually, it's something harder to get to, or more expensive to replace.)

Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 AM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

Spur mesh is super loose there is a video from squirrel on youtube that will show you how to set mesh using a piece of paper watch that.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
rjsdad

mickstix and Wo81 are right. You could see in your picture that the gears were not meshed as well as they could have been. I know when they say RTR that would impy that all you would have to do is put gas in it and go, but this far from the truth. I would stay away from upgrade parts until your skill level improves. Your not alone, we all have broken something that initiately we thought was a defective part, but come to find out that it was caused by our lack of knowledge or skill.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Devils-Reject

XenoxProject.com has sent me out free parts to fix the car, they are a decent company to deal with.
they were very helpfull and i will be buying more parts and cars from them for sure
Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Mickstix

Awesome!! Glad they took care of ya! Not sure if you mentined if it was a Nitro or Electric, but if its Nitro, take the time waiting on your parts and put loctite (blue) on any screws or grub/set screws that go into aluminum/metal. (Head bolts, exhaust bolts, engine mounts, etc.) If it's a 1/10 scale car, ya might need to put an "o" ring in the front wheel drive cups, to take up any excess slack the dogbones have.. (On the Volcano and Tornado they have a habit of spitting front dogbones if you dont shim them with an 'o" ring or 2mm slice of fuel tubing)  Not sure if their other 1/10 scale models have that issue or not, but just a heads up incase..
Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Mr_Byte

I'm still wondering what it hit, personally. However, glad to know they are taking care of you.

Personally, I don't like the look of the ultralight series. They are too much like the 10th scale, and while I was ok with my shockwave, I broke many many front end components. Usually as a result of mild contact with a wall at the track.

My 1/8th "professional" (they only had one line of 1/8th scale when I bought it) is much tougher.

And as others have said, go thru the car now and tighten, loctite and adjust. I do this with all my stuff, RTR or not, Redcat or Traxxas or anything. RTR means "Ready to Repair" if you really take it out, start it and go running.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Devils-Reject

prolly the last redcat item i buy as i noticed 2 more broken parts today.
i am calling redcat now to get this matter fixed up.
cheap plastic parts
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Mr_Byte

Maybe you got the Sportworks verson, lol.

My Chaos was like your Redcat, strip pinions, nasty clutch, the list goes on and on.

Seriously, though, you must have gotten a lemon if you didn't munch it into something, because I've seen a lot of Redcats, and nothing like that happened to them.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Devils-Reject

yea i know i researched them b4 even buying this and they seemed tough as nails
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM
bkfamily1

You apparently did not check your gear mesh, or if you did, you set it poorly. Then you gripe about stripping your spur gear. And you complain that the steering linkage is cheap because it busted. That, by the way, is a very uncommon thing to break unless you hit something. Now you say you were running yesterday (when it was at or below freezing and snowing part of the day in Girard) and are again upset because you broke some more "cheap plastic parts." You realize plastic breaks more easily when it is cold, right? I am not a big Redcat fan, but you need to stop whining about your vehicle. If you do not go over it before you start running it, something that everyone here knows is necessary, run it when it is cold and run into things, it is going to break. Even in the best of circumstances, even the best RCs will break if you run them hard. It is the nature of the hobby. As I have heard before, if you're not wrenching, you're not running. And if you can not deal with that, maybe you need a new hobby, bro.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Devils-Reject

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

You apparently did not check your gear mesh, or if you did, you set it poorly. Then you gripe about stripping your spur gear. And you complain that the steering linkage is cheap because it busted. That, by the way, is a very uncommon thing to break unless you hit something. Now you say you were running yesterday (when it was at or below freezing and snowing part of the day in Girard) and are again upset because you broke some more "cheap plastic parts." You realize plastic breaks more easily when it is cold, right? I am not a big Redcat fan, but you need to stop whining about your vehicle. If you do not go over it before you start running it, something that everyone here knows is necessary, run it when it is cold and run into things, it is going to break. Even in the best of circumstances, even the best RCs will break if you run them hard. It is the nature of the hobby. As I have heard before, if you're not wrenching, you're not running. And if you can not deal with that, maybe you need a new hobby, bro.
<hr />
Whoa Whoa Whoa Slow down low down
no i didnt check the mesh, its rtr, i didnt know i had to do that. as none of my other cars were like that in the past. second it wasnt freezing or even yesterday, the day this happened was saturday when it was 50 degrees outside.
im not whining im pissed.
the rear wheel wasnt even seated in the hex all the way either.
im not a noob to r/c at all.

all i said is it is a brand new car theres no way 4 parts should break on the 3rd run. i didnt hit anything with it, you can beleive me or not i dont care, but dont come on my thread and bash me. i know all about r/c im not some 19 year old kid, this is not my first rodeo.

everyone here *****es about stuff, i only stated that this car had 4 parts break in 3 runs, and they were break in runs, so i was not even running it hard.

so if you think your gonna come on my thread and bash me you can kiss my *****
maybe you need to work more on YOUR hobby and less on trying to be a hard ***** on the computer

<hr />
If you do not go over it before you start running it, something that everyone here knows is necessary
yea well before you never had to fix a rtr car b4 you ran it, i guess now they are so mass produced that you have to, and now i know that so in the furture when i get my next car that will not be redcat ill know.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Wo81

Going through any rtr vehicle is just the way of the rc world. A half an hour worth of going through a vehicle can lead to hours of trouble-free running. If you continue to have a problem with plastic parts breaking, boil them for about 10 minutes. 50 degrees is cold enough to make plastic more brittle. I understand your frustration. But after you get it broke in and like the way it performs, there's plenty of ways to get the durability up to par. If you opt to try the boiling route, leave the axle carriers out. I only suggest a arms, bumper mounts, shock towers if you don't race. Boil at your own risk. I've only done it to trx plastic. Not sure how yours will react. Should be just fine though.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
bkfamily1

DR - here is a quote from your post on the other thread (caps by you) - "I WILL NOT EVER BUY ANOTHER REDCAT PRODUCT EVER!! WASTE OF $300 I AM SOO NOT HAPPY I AM GOING TO SLAM REDCAT ALL OVER THE WEB." [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9450322]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9450322[/link] There are plenty of people on here willing to help. It also seems that Redcat is trying to help, but you don't seem to appreciate any of their efforts based on another of your quotes - "redcat sent me out a new spur gear but so what they are made from cheap ass plastic." I understand you are upset. But bashing Redcat and telling people "you can kiss my *****" is not going to fix your vehicle. So you might want to chill out or find something that does not stress you out so badly.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
rjsdad

I thought that RTR meant to gas and go, but come to find out it doesn't. Again this is that learning curve everyone goes through.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Devils-Reject

thats right redcat did nothing to help, although xenon did, so i will buy more items from xenon, but not redcat.
i spoke with redcat on the phone. they acted like i was lieing and i drove this car into a wall at 40mph and i did not.

yes they gears were not meshed right, how was i supposed to know right, now i do know this.

Xenon Was very helpfull and very kind.
i will buy more stuff from them.
acctually redcat didnt do anything xenon sent me out 2 new spur gears for free.
so once again xenon is a GREAT  company.
i definitely. recommend them

I thought that RTR meant to gas and go, but come to find out it doesn't. Again this is that learning curve everyone goes through.
Yea Me Too, We All Learn New things every day.
i own and have owned many many cars and never have i got a new one and had 4 parts break on break in.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
GerardAtJob

I can easily understand your point...
My local redcat vendor told me thoses things (unscrew every screw and apply lock-tight, and the spur gear adjustment), so I got lucky.
And I learned a few more things that you'll find usefull...

1- If any bearing break down, go buy LOSI sealed one... Changed them 3 times befores trying LOSI one and guess what... I bash them for about a 3/4 year now... and still works no1.
2- If any servo break down, don't buy SP9001...(the ones my localredcat was selling me as replacement of the stock one...) Changed them 3 times (3 is my magic number)... and now I'll go for a JR or something else. (When applying a small pressure on the servo arm, it make the OTHER servo shake... Tryed with a stock HPIsavage servo and didn't saw this problem)
3- After each bash, verify every screw and pieces (if you didn't break anything...)

and don't forget ... it's not a high-price/high-quality product... it's a "really good product for the price" one...
And ask here! All the guys here are REALLY helpfull and won't blast you for a small mistake
Learn and HAVEFUN

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
rjsdad

good points geradatJob. I replaced my servos with JR's as well as the transmitter and receiver. I cannot even start to explain the perfromance difference that I saw.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Mickstix

Yea, I think the next department they should think about improving on should be the servo's..
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Devils-Reject

negative they need to improve the plastic used its very soft, but my replacement parts will be here tomorrow so ill let yall know what they send me...
at least they are making an effort to correct the problem. most companys would be like screw you man... but not redcat they sent me out new parts i dont know what they are yet but tomorrow at noon they come in...
im typin pretty good for being drunk as a skunk huh haha man im so drunk right now

Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 AM
image079

Small rocks are often responsible for stripping gears.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
rjsdad

your right image079.

LOL...Devils-Reject your not suppose to hit the bottle until this weekend. Man, your starting early. LOL
Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Devils-Reject

close enough for me
Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Devils-Reject

in this case is was due to the spur gear not being meshed right from the factory.
i did not know i had to do the double check challenge before running.
now i know.
there were 3-5 things that needed to be gone over before i should have run this car.
but i got a new TRAXXAS spur, meshed it correctly and now it has had no problems.

THE REAR WHEEL WAS ALSO NOT INSTALLED RIGHT AND THE HEX IN THE PLASTIC IS KINDA CHEWED UP.
good thing i bought new badlands before even getting this car so i just swapped them out and repaired the hex plastic on the wheel.

this is directed to redcat.

dont having your parts made & assembled in china, it saves a buck in the beginning but causes major headachs later down the road.

ORIGINAL: image079

Small rocks are often responsible for stripping gears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.