Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado s30

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
lawson85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado s30

i just got my tornado in today. so i start it up and run a few tanks thru it. while on its 4th tank i went inside and came back out in about 5 minutes and the buggy was wide open throttle, how i do not know. after i get the idle settled and run another tank of fuel i try to drive the buggy. PROBLEM the buggy does not pull only barely like the clutch is completly gone. im guessing the wide open idle for the few minutes burnt it up. is that the case or is somthing else wrong..
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: tornado s30

when you were idling the motor and left it(sorry, but thats not a good idea) was the buggy's wheels off the gound?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

if the buggy was WOT with the wheels off the ground, then there was almost no load on the clutch. it shouldnt have been damaged.
if you had the buggy up against a wall so it couldnt move forward, then it may have tried to move and the clutch just spun, which could damage it.
also, check the spur gear. make sure it doesnt have damage.

when breaking in a motor(not fully tuned yet) it is common for the RPMs to rise as the motor's temp increases.
once its fully broken in and tuned, the idle will be stable.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
lawson85

the wheels were off the ground but it worked free of the prop and wheeled againt a wall. so the clutch had a load on it.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lawson85

the wheels were off the ground but it worked free of the prop and wheeled againt a wall. so the clutch had a load on it.

if it hit a wall then several parts could have broken, preventing it from running.

the clutch shoes could have been damaged.

the spur gear's teeth could have been partly stripped.

also, check all 4 dogbones. as well as the 2 center dogbones. if any of these broke, then the power from the motor is being wasted(not getting to the tires)

and also, try to turn the front wheels together(same direction) and then do the same to the rear. if they dont want to turn together, then there could be a damaged diff.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
lawson85

nothing else was hurt. no noticable damage.the clutch bell looks like it got really hot(discoloration) no other problems
Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lawson85

nothing else was hurt. no noticable damage.the clutch bell looks like it got really hot(discoloration) no other problems
when you came out and found the buggy, was it going WOT against the wall and not(or barely) turning the wheels?
if so, the clutch was slipping and heat buildup likely killed the clutch shoes.

turn the spur gear with your hand and see if the wheels turn as they should. if they do, then the clutch is the problem.

you may be able to take the cluch bell off, and clean the inside of the clutch bell.
i think you may want to use really fine sand paper. the inside of the clutch bell may be glazed over, preventing the shoes from grabbing it.
you may also open it up and find one of the shoes is damaged.