Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

redcat volcano s30 need help

i just got an redcat volcano s30 3 days ago, well eariler this morning i had it started and run out the first tank of fuel. well on the 2nd tank i had to shut it off like half way threw the tank cause wife had to have me take her to do some running around town, we were only gone for like 3-4 hours. when i got back i tried to start it again first i cleared out all of the fuel from the line and engine, then i proceided to prime it then start it after i put the glow plug ignitor in, and it wouldn;t start, i did the proceider all over again, and even put an new glow plug in but i noticed before changing it that the current glow plug was an little sideways like maybe by .05 of an mm, can anyone tell me what i can do to get it started, i have an rechargable glow plug starter, i thought even though i charged it 10 hours last night that maybe it has lost it charge so atm its charging. is there anything i can do to get it to start and run again?
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: redcat volcano s30 need help

your description makes it alittle hard to get an idea what the problem is.
    how was the 1st glow plug sideways?

also, there are 2 kinds of flooded motors.
    the 1st is easy to cure, remove the glow plug, turn over the motor a few times an you are good-to-go.
    the 2nd you do the same, but pull over the motor with the truck upside down. sometimes un-spent fuel pools in the muffler. even tho with method one you get the fuel out of the top of the motor, as soon as you try to start it....it pulls fuel from the muffler and gets flooded again.

glow plugs are pesky little things IMO. its always good to have several on hand. even if a glow plug lights up in the glowplug warmer, it doesnt mean that its doing the same once inside the motor.

check for any air leaks on the motor. near the exhaust port, carb, cooling head. if any screws-bolts are loose on those parts, then the motor wont be pullinig in fuel like it should(less compresion)
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh, when you put the new glow plug in, did you have the washer on it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes i did have the ring on it and the first one wasn't sideways
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the orignal glow plug that came wit it had the ring on it i took it out and replaced it then took the one i replaced it wit after it still wouldn;t start wit an new one i just recieved in the mail today, also i did do both methods of clearing the fuel out of the engine and repriming it but the engine seems still not to want to start, also i been keeping the truck inside my warm trailer because atm its winter here and very cold and i even put the top elastic off of an sock over the head to keep it warm but it still will not start up again. i had it running once and ran the first tank of fuel out and it ran fine on the tailgate of my truck outside. but during the second tank of fuel i had to shut it off due to having to do some running around town, and ever since then i have tried several times to restart the volcacno s30 but so far no luck, atm i am recharging my glow starter and plan to try again in the morning. is there anything else i should try or should i contact redcats service depart?
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ps: almost forgot to mention that the first time while it was idoling there was some nitro fuel being shot out from around the glow plug. i could see it bubbling around the glow plug.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hopefully its just a dead glow plug warmer.
    you can put the glow plugs in the warmer and see if the coil turns red(careful not to burn yourself!)
    if neither the old/new glow plug turn red after you have recharged the glow plug warmer....then they could both be bad.

the funny thing with glow plugs is that they can fail easy. with normal use the will typically last a good long time. but during the motor breaking process they are more likely to fail.

also, did the newwer glow plug match the original?
    glow plugs have different heat ranges....as well as different length bodies.
    if either the body or the heat range of your new plug is different from the original that will cause your problem.

if there was fuel bubbling out around the glow plug, then you may not have had the washer the right way(they are bent slightly) or the glow plug was just not tight enough. if the motor was running, i wouldnt worry about it tho.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the original plug was short #8 redcat and the second was an #8 fox pro long glow plug and the third was an #8 fox short and the other 3 extras i have are all #8 fox short plugs
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i just got back from trying to start the volcano again wit no luck and before i took it outside i tested all 6 of my glow plugs and they all glowed orange. i also cleared out the fuel in the engine and reprimed it but still no luck in getting it to start.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: thunder5005

i just got back from trying to start the volcano again wit no luck and before i took it outside i tested all 6 of my glow plugs and they all glowed orange. i also cleared out the fuel in the engine and reprimed it but still no luck in getting it to start.
    man, sounds like you have my bad luck with nitros...lol!
    check the 4 screws that hold the top of the motor(cooling head) they are down near where the glow plug goes in. see if any need to be tightened.

how are you priming the motor? i use the finger over muffler method. just until you see fuel reach the carb.

have you tried any other carb settings yet? you might try increasing the idle screw just a tad.
    you can also try starting the motor with the throttle open a tad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i once spent a full hour(drained the glow plug warmer's battery) trying to start a tmaxx 2.5.
    didnt matter how i set it, what glow plug i used. it would sputter but not fire!
    finally i hit on a needle adjustment that let it start. took me forever!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea seems like for my first time using an nitro i am having bad luck, i just checked the screws there all tight, and every time i primed the engine i did put my fingures over the muffler, one thing i noticed when i moved the volcano off the shelf i have it on some nitro like 2 drips came outta the muffler, don;t know if that has anything to do wit the probs i'm having or not.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea seems like for my first time using an nitro i am having bad luck, i just checked the screws there all tight, and every time i primed the engine i did put my fingures over the muffler, one thing i noticed when i moved the volcano off the shelf i have it on some nitro like 2 drips came outta the muffler, don;t know if that has anything to do wit the probs i'm having or not.
    its normal to have some oil drip from the muffler, especially if the motor is running rich(which it will be during breakin)
    you can try to tip the truck so that any oil will drip out. you dont want it pooled in the muffler while you are trying to start it.
    how does the motor sound when you try to start it?
    does it sputter any?
    is it really hard to pull over?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the first and only time i had it running it was easy to pull start no probs there, but it did sputter an little, so i richened it like an eighth of an turn, then it quit sputtering, i let the first tank run almost completey out but not all the way. then i stopped it and refueled it and ever since then it won;t start again no matter what i try. could there be fuel stuck in the muffler that is causing my prob? also the glow plugs are now going in straight like they should and tight but not over tight. also i did check for air leaks around the cooling head and cab and didn;t feel any, while i was trying to start it.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the glow plug not going in straight may be the problem. it might not be sealing the chamber as it should. can say without looking at it.
    its possible you damaged the treads somehow???

you should be able to tip the truck so that any fuel trapped in the muffler will flow out.

then try priming the motor....just until fuel is about to hit the carb, stop before the fuel actually gets to the carb.(like a 1/2inch away in the fuel line)

now, try and start the motor. watch the fuel line. does fuel get sucked into the carb? if it doesnt withing 4-5 pulls of the starter, then the motor isnt getting compresion(possible do to the glow plug not screwing in right)
    if it does, and the motor doesnt start, then i would try adjusting the high speed needle alittle. remember where it is when you started, and make small adjustments.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i just got back from retrying to start my volcano again, and same as last time no luck, and i have tried everything u have told me too. i guess the volcano is going into the trash can since i know i can;t return it to redcat, since the warentty states that they will no accept it back if it has had fuel put into it. i do have an few questions for u. have u had may redcats nitros and have u had an lotta probs wit them.? ps: when i tried to prime it there was some air in the fuel line and at first it didn;t want to move for like 5 pulls on the pull starter, then on the 6th the fuel finally went down the fuel line, it kinda seems like the engine could be bad cause of lack of compression, but what do i know i don;t know much about real like car or truck engines besides what i have learned from my father in law cause he was an mechanic for like 30 some years. well i do want to thank u for all of ur help and patience.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man dont throw that thing away. I didnt read everything but Im new too. I recently got my Earthquake broke in (today). Your from Ohio im from Md and its cold. I can get mine to start but heating the engine with a heat gun before you start is so much easier. It takes an hour to get it started without it. You may have more problems than this but it costs nothing to try it. If the glow plug isnt going in straight get a new head. Your going to be buying parts anyway its the nature of the hobby. I hope this helps theres nothing worse than thinking your going to spend the day bashing when it wont even start.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have owned a redcat backdraft 3.5 nitro. didnt have any issues with the motor.
    the breakin process was a pain the 1st few tanks. it stalled alot. buy the time i got to the 5th tank it was easy to start and keep running.

i cant help but wonder if the glow plugs is not threading in right. you mentioned it not going in straight.

if you take off the air filter, how big is the gap in the carb when the throttle is closed? it should be about 1mm(think tip of a marker)
    to narrow, and not enough air for it to start, to wide and too much air.(see pic to get an idea)

next, screw in the high speed needle all the way(dont over tighten tho) then un-screw it 4 full turns.
    do the same for the low speed needle but open 2 & 1/2 turns

put in a fresh glow plug, prime the motor and see if she will start.

where did you buy it from? i know its a redcat but did you buy it from a local hobby shop? or online? a dealer may have a limited warrenty.

if not, and you are done trying to get it to work, you could always sell it on ebay and get some $$$ back. or hold onto it for a few weeks and i will give you something for it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz79866.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	1548943  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i checked the carb gap this morning and it was at 1mm and the high speed needle is out like 3and half turns. and the low speed is still set to factory i haven't touched it. i got it super cheap off an seller on ebay for like 185.99 which at the time seemed cheap for an new nitro truck.it had no returns accepted.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i checked the carb gap this morning and it was at 1mm and the high speed needle is out like 3and half turns. and the low speed is still set to factory i haven't touched it. i got it super cheap off an seller on ebay for like 185.99 which at the time seemed cheap for an new nitro truck.it had no returns accepted.
    thats the normal price for the volcano s30.

i wish i were right there with you as i still believe it can run and its probly something small.
    did you try warming up the motor with a hair dryer? if you are tying to start it in a garage or somewhere that it is cold that could be the issue.

also, turn the high speed needle open alittle more.

can you post a pic of the glow plug in the motor? is it easy to see that it is not straight?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitrosportsandrunner helped me with mine and he is right about the first five tanks. It is a test of patience either you win or the machine. The machine really doesnt care. Take the hsn to 4 turns out I went 2 3/4 out on lsn but thats mine. Heat the motor before you start!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have reset the hsn and lsn and still no luck i had it running for like half an sec then it shut down and i tried 4 times after that to get it running but nothing happened, i am starting to wander if the volcano s30 is junk, don;t matter now anyway since i am not gonna fool it anymore, no sense in messing wit it seeing clearly its not gonna run again.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ps: i even used and hair dyer to heat up the engine on high for 5 mins as u can even that didn;t help.
    jr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that sucks man. i feel for you.
    id trade you something for it.
    i love the challange of finding out why something wont work/run. its part of why im on RCU so much. trying to help others diagnose problem and find a solution. anyway i dont have a nitro right now and it would be nice to have one in the collection.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This sounds like a good one. I would love the chance to get that thing running. Nitrosportsandrunner you gotta get a hold of that thing and let us no if you get her going.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast