Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Aftershock 8E Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Kenny Powers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftershock 8E Questions

<o>

Ihave a question regarding the Redcat Aftershock 8E. Irecently purchased the Aftershock 8E and wanted to know whether or not I should invest in a different charger than the one that comes with it. Also, Ihave seen on other posts of other items, so if I should purchase anything, else, please let me know.

I realize that this model is not considered top of the line, which is not really a concern, however, for the money, for what you get with the package, you just can't beat it. I know the entire diehard AE and other owners of more prestigious lines of RC'swould disagree, but Ihave never been really concerned what others think. Especially those who get on their high RC horses and preach to the rest of the RC world that it’s their RC brand way or no other brand. This frustrates me to no end. I digress, though. (Sorry) <o></o>

I am just getting back into RCing after over 10 years and wanted to have a 1/8, though this is debatable on this model Isee, brushless dessert truck for under $300. Ihave also read from others that this is a fairly decent truck, as well. Plus, it looks pretty cool.

Any advice or suggestions in modifications and adjustments for this model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.<o></o>

</o>
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Aftershock 8E Questions

it is suggested by other 8e and 3.5(nitro version) owners to open up the diffs and shim them if there is play, and add some grease.
another member made a youtube vid of how to do it.

as far as a charger, i use a imex B6 charger. it was $40 on ebay. it can charge lipos, balance charge them, upto 5 amps. it charges most of my lipos in 1 hour or less.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Kenny Powers

Thanks for the advice. I remember reading somewhere about the differentials and someone even provided part numbers for some other potential parts needing replacement. Thanks for the charger advice too. I appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

no problem. i should be buying a earthquake 8E in 2-3 weeks with my tax returns.
i plan on shimming the diffs, replacing the stock steering servo with one from www.hobbyparts.com that cost $12(metal geared high-torque)
and i will also buy a couple of the alloy upgrades.
these trucks are soo stinkin fast! the stock batteries arent bad. but i already have a pair of 2s 30c 5000mah lipos which will provide longer runtimes!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Kenny Powers

I know...when I saw some of the online videos on the Aftershock 8E, I was blown away by the speed of these vehicles. I was also impressed with how much of a beating these vehicles can take. This was a specific criteria when I selected it for purchase.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how much run time the dual stock Lipo's that come with the kits give you? I have seen varying times, from 15-22 minutes. I realize it depends on the drive and how fast you drive it. Also, do you know what is the average top speed out of the box with these are without any upgrades?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Kenny Powers

Just out of curiosty, how water-proof are the electronics/motor on these? I live in the Northeast and we are in the throws of Winter here. I picked the perfect time to get a new ride, Iknow, but I am going to have a real hard time waiting another 2-3 months until Spring. Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Kenny Powers

Just out of curiosty, how water-proof are the electronics/motor on these? I live in the Northeast and we are in the throws of Winter here. I picked the perfect time to get a new ride, I know, but I am going to have a real hard time waiting another 2-3 months until Spring. Any thoughts?
you can put the RX in a ballon.
you can put liquid elec tape on the servo's case seams(or plastic dip)
you could open up the ESC case and coat the board(but not the heat sink) with plastic dip.(you can find utube vids of how its done)
but for snow i would just uses some saran wrap over the whole chassis. just make sure there is space between the wrap on the ESC/motor. this is a easy solution, but you will have to do it every time you want to drive. i do it to my on-road car when i put rally tires on it and drive in the snow.
some have also cut up plastic soda bottles, and made "snow guards".

the thing with snow, is that it cant hurt the electronics unless alot of it gets on the parts and then melts to water.

which ever method you use, make sure to bring it inside and let it dry out upside down. that way any melting water cant get into the electronics.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Kenny Powers

Thanks for the great advice, as usual.

According to Fedex, it should be delivered tomorrow, 1/20. Here's hoping!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

lucky you.
my tax returns should arrive the 1st of feb. then i will get to place a order with redcat.
i am getting the earthquake 8e and 1/8 scale rockslide crawler for sure.
im probly gonna buy a few of the alloy upgrade for the earthquake while im at it!
it really is impressive that they can sell a 1/8 scale-4wd-BL powered RC complete with 2.4ghz and a pair of lipos and a basic charger for $300 shipped!

i recently picked up a used ofna crt.5 with a rcmonster brushless conversion chassis.
im gonna put a traxxas vxl system in it and run 3s lipo.
its will be fun to compare the 2 trucks. the ofna will be faster(lighter) but the 8E is larger!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Kenny Powers

Well it arrived!!! I'll throw some pictures up as soon as I am done inspecting every last inch of it and ogling over it. I know what you mean about what you get for the price. 1/8, 4x4, brushless, dual lipo, with 2.4ghz. radio all of under $300. Iactually got a heck of deal on mine. I got all the above, plus the shop Iordered from online threw in both front and rear lower arms, batteries for the remote, and they threw in free shipping to boot, all of $289.99. It was too good of deal to pass up!<o></o>

Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
formula87

For a charger if you have a LHS go and see what they have that is what I did and I am happy.