Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Earthquake 3.0 Drill Starter Back Plate??

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.0 Drill Starter Back Plate??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
lordgalla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.0 Drill Starter Back Plate??

Hi all,I have a brand new Earthquake 3.0 not even run yet.Trying to put on a back plate,to replace the pull starter.Removed the pull starter ok,What's up with only 3 screws?
I go to put the back plate on #11011H12, and there's 4 screws with the back plate,and only 3 threaded holes in the back of the engine.
I put the plate on with 3 screws,and I cannot tighten the screws at all,If I tighten,I can not even turn the part where the wand goes at all.Should be free
in one direction.I have to have the 3 screws barley snug,almost loose,to have it be free in one direction? Anyone have this problem? Please Reply.
what is up with 3 screws holding on this 4 screw plate?Not a happy camper about this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82804.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1548654  
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
DoGGY54th

Default RE: Earthquake 3.0 Drill Starter Back Plate??

I bought one of those Electric Starter Kits on Ebay too, Iremoved it because you can't tighten the 3 screws for mounting the cover, it's JUNK. Just get a new pull start and put a good tune and Remember your good settings.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
lhbrickman

I got one for my Earthquake 3.5 and had the same trouble. I made a flexable plastic gasket. It seems theres not enough free space when you tighten the screws tight. Works now.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
lordgalla

ORIGINAL: lhbrickman

I got one for my Earthquake 3.5 and had the same trouble. I made a flexable plastic gasket. It seems theres not enough free space when you tighten the screws tight. Works now.

Hi there;what did you make the gasket out of? what kind of plastic? did you still use the 3 screws? I used blue lock tight,on the 3 screws,seems ok.What a nasty design this is hey.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 AM
lhbrickman

I made the gasket out of a plastic container that some masonry screws came in. It was a quick fix and I will be going to the automotive store to get a piece of gasket maker. Im not sure about the heat from the motor melting the plastic so I will be changing it but it works so far. I did not have the problem with the screws. My pullstarter only had three screws but when I put the backplate on the fourth screw went in fine.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
cougar9

hi i have samething what is happening is the shoulder on the back of the motor is going deeper than the space in the starter plate i just filed some off of the starter plate gear untill i could tighten it all the way and it works fine
Old 01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The .18 has a three hole mount (they should have tapped four if you ask me...), whereas the .21 has all four holes.  Locktite is a must on any backplate.  Both engines use the same drill start back plate.