Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vortex SS to Volcano S30

To me it doesn't look like alot is different between the two. How hard would it be to convert the SS to the Volcano S30? Has anyone done it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Vortex SS to Volcano S30

yeah, i'd like to covert my electric vortex to a volcano. i need to know what parts to switch out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To me it looks easy sort of...... But not really worth it. Vortex SS is a Tornado BB with bumpers and different tires. To get a Volcano S30 you would need

Volcano tires
    8 Volcano shocks
    Volcano transmission (or a new clutch bell to maintain the gear ratio on the Vortex's first gear, and the 2 speed would still work)
    If you get the volcano transmission you need a new clutch bell
    New A-Arms to mount 2 shocks per wheel
    New header and pipe
    To be complete a SH .18

All for what? 4 mm more of ground clearance and a lack of a two speed? Totally not worth it. It might be worth it to get the tires and adjust the gear ratio so first gear is the same as Volcano first gear, and have second like a high-speed gear at normal gearing. But it wouldn't be worth the cash for a total conversion. Besides, the Volcano isn't a REAL monster truck anyway, it's a buggy with big tires. For a real MT get a Savage or something along those lines..... Durable enough to actually do an MT's job.

Tornado buggy, HPI Savage X 4.6 FOR THE WIN.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree the more i look into it. It would cost more than i thought. After pricing the parts, for a little more I could just get a new MT. I think it's a decent idea, but not for the money. thanks for the info though.