Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Bearing removal help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Ncarmi101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing removal help???

I'm changing out a bad spur gear on my Caldera 10E and I can't get the bearings off the shaft!!! Is there some kinda of trick to this or a tool I need??? I'm still fairly new to this so any advice would help!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
formula87

Default RE: Bearing removal help???

ORIGINAL: Ncarmi101

I'm changing out a bad spur gear on my Caldera 10E and I can't get the bearings off the shaft!!! Is there some kinda of trick to this or a tool I need??? I'm still fairly new to this so any advice would help!!!
Is it melted on or something you should just need a flat blade screw driver and it should pop off. any pics or vid?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Ncarmi101

No not melted!!! This is the second time I have had to replace my spur gear the first time I tried using a flat head and the bearing came right apart so I just replaced the whole unit... At $22 bucks a pop the whole unit is a little pricey to keep replacing so I bought a couple of individual spur gears from urc hobby and just having trouble removing the bearings from the shaft that the spur gear connects to... It just doesn't want to break free from the shaft and I'm afraid if I apply to much pressure the bearing will fall apart again... I keep chewing up spur gears!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
formula87

That is strange that the bearing would be that hard to come off.  I don't know much about the Caldera other then it shares alot of its drive train with the 8e series and I have not had to replace my spur gear but once in a year and that was my fault for not getting the mesh right.  I would call Kurt@URCHobby and see what he says.  but for the bearing to come apart is strange I have had to wrench on mine some times on other rcs and they are fine........hmmmmmmm.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Ncarmi101

How would I make sure the mesh is correct??? This is all kinda trial and error for me since I'm still fairly new to RC!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
formula87

ORIGINAL: Ncarmi101

How would I make sure the mesh is correct??? This is all kinda trial and error for me since I'm still fairly new to RC!!!

The mesh would not cause the bearing problem. I just use a slip of copy paper and put between the gears push them together and tighten then pull the paper out if it comes out easy and does not tear the paper then your good. I make sure the gears have a little "slop" you don't want them smashed together.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Ncarmi101

I know it wouldn't cause the bearing issue but it'll probably help with the spur gear issue I've been having which for me leads to the bearing issue!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like there is a small burr on the shaft. you may have to file it down a little. You may end up damaging the bearing but just make sure there is no burr when you install a new one. the bearing should just slide on.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Ncarmi101

Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna work on it first thing in the morning!!!