Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Full Throttle Stall - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
nazUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Throttle Stall - HELP!!

Hi

I'm pretty new to RC and I bought myself a Redcat Landslide LT originally and for some reason I got carried away and upgraded the engine to a SH28 Pro PT28XM-P6 as well as some parts :-).
I can start her up and everything, done all the break in procedures and so on, but my problem which I just can't seem to fix is whenever I go full throttle it dies/stalls. I've done everything..... richened it, leaned it, watched videos on how to, gone back to default started all over but still no joy :-(
I'm using 20% byron fuel, idle settings is pretty much 1mm gap, checked fuel lines, changed them but still no go.

So as you can see I am desperate to get up and running, by the way it's pretty cold weather here at the moment and I have been running it richer to get it started and going but still same problem, as soon as I go full throttle it stalls.

So anyone who can give me some sound advice will be much appreciated otherwise I will have to take to hobby shop which I don't want to do... think I've already wasted a gallon of fuel trying to fix problem and at this rate I'm getting no where fast :-(

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Full Throttle Stall - HELP!!

how cold is it?
the motor may not be getting running upto optimal temps.
often to run in the cold people will wrap part of the cooling head with tin foil. that lets the motor temps rise a bit. dont go crazy with it. start by wraping just half of the cooling head.
its a good idea to have a IR temp gun. the duratrax ones are like $20-$25. makes it much easier to know how your motor is running if you know the actual temps.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 AM
nazUK

Well I live in the UK and i think it's about -1 to -2 degree C at the moment.
But I have to stress I had the same problem in the summer too. Bought the engine last summer and after break in had about 4-5 attempts to sort it out but just couldn't get it right.
I bet it's some silly thing I'm not doing right!!..... do you think it may be the glow plug or maybe I should try 25% fuel?!
Not sure now what to do just guessing and running out of idea's - oh and regarding the tempgun, I've just bought one have to pick it up from post office which I will do tomorrow, it's a PE2 exotics, I'm pretty sure it's a good one
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: nazUK

Well I live in the UK and i think it's about -1 to -2 degree C at the moment.
But I have to stress I had the same problem in the summer too. Bought the engine last summer and after break in had about 4-5 attempts to sort it out but just couldn't get it right.
I bet it's some silly thing I'm not doing right!!..... do you think it may be the glow plug or maybe I should try 25% fuel?!
Not sure now what to do just guessing and running out of idea's - oh and regarding the tempgun, I've just bought one have to pick it up from post office which I will do tomorrow, it's a PE2 exotics, I'm pretty sure it's a good one
a temp gun will help you tune the motor alot!
OK, if cold isnt a factor....what about the glow plug. you have tried new ones right?
there is a slight possibility of a small air leak. check your muffler, the joints, the exhaust port. if anything is loose, or there is a crack it will cause a lack of vacume. this could starve the engine of fuel at higher RPMs.
also, do you have a fuel filter? if not, it may be helpful to pull the carb off and clean it. if a spec of dirt got into it that could also cause problems at higher RPMs.

when you said you adjusted the carb but it had no effect. which needle did you adjust?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM
nazUK

OK when adjusting the carb I would start from the beginning, although SH engine manual says default settings are 3 turns from close both HSN and LSN I usually start Rich which I have read is more sensible to start from RIch to Lean rather than Lean to Rich.
What I would normally do is flush the needles both HSN and LSN and then turn in by 1 turn for LSN and if I remember correct 2 turn in for HSN. I would then first only turn HSN by 1/8 until I get optimum pick up and nice smooth run without stalling (this is the problem where I get stuck) it always stalls on WOT however much I turn it in or out.

By the way thanks to everyone who is replying back :-)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
nazUK

Ah forgot to mention I have a filter/primer, have change fuel and exhaust line and am pretty sure that everything else is snug and tight without any air leaks
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
lhbrickman

Sounds lean. I have my settings on my sh engine 4 out hsn and 2 3/4 out lsn. To me it is easier to tell a rich engine from a lean engine because I do not have a temp guage.A rich engine has sluggish throttle response and will not reach high speed. It also sounds kind of congested. Slowly lean the hsn 1/4 turn until it has good throttle response. If the engine stalls at full throttle the carb has to be lean. I am new also but I have made it a science to figure these engines out. I am also running mine at the same temperatures you are. I no what the manual says but it really doesnt help a whole lot. You have to find where your engine will run good. Redcat has great videos on tuning learn them because theres going to be other things you need to no. Good luck
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 AM
nazUK

OK going to take on board what everyone said - just picked up my temp gun hope that helps my prob a bit more easier.
Weather is a bit crap today looks like it's going to rain so will get back with an update in a couple of days