Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

yay, ups delivery! and a big one!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yay, ups delivery! and a big one!

so, my rs18(thats what im calling the rockslide 1/8) and earthquake 8e arrived.

along with a box full of parts, 2 caldera's and a new 1/8 scale body.

lots o' pics for you guys!

i took some pics of the 8E and rs18 with my BL-savage for size comparison

i like the looks of the duel upper camber link setup on the front of the earthquake. never seen a setup like that before. looks like it will add strength to the front end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10814.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1558387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24652.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1558388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21278.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1558389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58766.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1558390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66618.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1558391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk77712.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1558392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11199.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1558393  
Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Default RE: yay, ups delivery! and a big one!

just got done going through everything that was in the order.

the caldera's were in good shape. i had to trim the thottles a tad. otherwise good to go.
same with the earthquake, a quick throttle trimming and steering trim and its ready for the track. man, its bigger than it looks in the vids. looks very sturdy IMO. i pulled the throttle and the tires balloned like crazy!

the rockslide is the only one with an issue. the servos did whatever they wanted. the stock radio was not working right.
so, i took the radio from my rs10(same lansu radio) and put the other crystal in and now it works fine.
i called chris and redcat will get a replacement radio sent out as soon as i get the warrenty form filled.
its a true beast of a thing!!! it just soo huge, and yet with the 4ws i can drive it around my house. cant wait to waterproof it and take it out in the snow.

all-in-all, everything was packaged well. my friends have already picked up their caldera's....both of them left with huge grins on their faces

the venom safari creeper i bought also arrived. not as impressive looking as the rs18, but it does have a nice scale apperance. and its nice that its waterproof RTR.

now i gotta re-arange my room to fit the new stuff!

oh, the caldera's came with some cool little redcat racing key chains. my friend put it on his key ring right away

Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
jigawatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First upgrade I do is ditch all the standard electronics and engine. servos, receiver, radio... throw away all the doubt. I've had too many "RTR" vehicles wrecked by stockers.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jigawatt

First upgrade I do is ditch all the standard electronics and engine. servos, receiver, radio... throw away all the doubt. I've had too many ''RTR'' vehicles wrecked by stockers.
i dont see anything wrong with the motors/esc's in either of the trucks i bought.
the 8E has a ezrun 80amp esc and motor. decent stuff there. and the 2.4ghz radio is also a decent unit. i have a few of them now and they all work well.
the 8E's stock steering servo also has more torque than i expected. ill be seeing how well it holds up. should it fail, i have some high-torque metal geared servos i got from www.hobbypartz.com that were pretty cheap.

the esc in the rs18 is also decent for a stocker. it has drag brake, and a fan. better than the stock axial ESC's.
the motors are also very good. 100t 540's. very good stuff for crawling.
the 380 sized 70t motors in my rs10 have held up very well, even tho i am running them on 11.1v lipo.
the rs18's radio isnt the highest grade radio out there. but the 4 mode 3rd channel button is an awsome feature, and makes the thing wicked fun to drive.

the caldera's also come with a ezrun bl system. the 35amp one. i have 2 of them in other rc's and they work well. underrated specs IMO.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
1ofmyfuns

Congrats Man........I'm real happy for ya, nice looking bunch a play purdies there!

Myself I'm just waithing for my steel spur gear to come in for my Backdraft so I can get it back together, we have ice and snow here right now but it has started melting today, all my water was frozen up for 2 days and Ibeen really boxed in the house, so I cant wait till hopefully next week we will have some 50+ degree weather and if it's dry enough I'll be out bashing some trucks and buggies.

I'll be wishing quick good weather for you there as well, I know how bad you must be itching to get out and tear it up with the new trucks...

Merry Christmas.........Nitro.......! LOL

If if it's a little late it's still good huh?

Peace
Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, im not gonna be able to wait long before i take the 8E out. i might just have to waterproof the thing so i can take it out right away!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
1ofmyfuns

Well, just be sure it good and water tight if you do, sure would hate for you to fry something before you have a chance to really have fun with it.

I just pulled the tranny off one of my nitro sports thinking it was locked up and found that my brake disc was melted and welded to the brake shoe, dang-it all that work and it was just the freakinbrakes, I dont know if Ihad accidently turn my trim back and the brake was dragging real bad or what but that is all I can figure happened, that disc is shot all to heck, melted bad, I had to pry it loose with a screw driver........!

So now I'll be looking to order a couple new ones not sure who would be most likely to have the break disc for the Nitro Sport but i'll due some looking around.

Good luck and have fun if and when you get out with the truck.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well the manual for the ezrun 80amp ESC says its "spash proof and dust proof"
so alittle snow getting on it shouldnt hurt it. i will make a simple lexan cover to go over it tho. and i will put the Rx in a ballon. thats about all that should be needed for driving in the snow.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i already started to mod the rs18,
i cut a gear shaped pattern in the tire foams(rear ones, still gotta do the fronts) to make the tires softer and "give" more.
and im making a mount that will hold the battery over the front axle/upper links. that will put weight where i want it and make the battery much easier to put in/out of the truck.
and i made a "snow shield" over the esc and rx so i can take it out in the snow tomorrow!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
JTuepker1

Can you post pics of the tire foam.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

Can you post pics of the tire foam.
i will when i do the front tires. i didnt do anything fancy tho. didnt even mark the foams 1st, just took the scissors to them! instead of a "star" look it looks more like a gear with square teeth.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Ncarmi101

Congrats on the huge order nitro!!! Let me know how that 8e runs I've been looking to get one!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 AM
1ofmyfuns

good deal Nitro, when ever you get all the mods finished post some pics of how you set it all up, I'm sure we would all like to seehow you did it, if your like me my work is not alway svery fancy, it;s about function which is all that is important...!

enjoy yourplay time when you get out.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 AM
sherwoodGS

stupid question alert:  how do you trim the throttle and steering?