Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

1st day with new toys.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1st day with new toys.

i took my rs18 and my earthquake 8e to the hobby shop today.

i was gonna just run the rs18 indoors, but i found 4 guys with scale crawlers driving in the snow. they had several paths around the LHS's property.
so i decided to follow them.
now, these guys have axials with brushless motors and $150 radios. but even they were impressed with the size and capabilities of the rs18. as was I. it handled snow very well.

then i took it inside on the rock wall. it made that wall look like kids play.

and there are carpeted steps going upto the driver's stand, it crawled up those with ease!

i did drive the 8E some on the track. but it was far to small to stretch the 8E's legs. and when i tried on of the ramps it launched 10 feet in the air, landed upside down and broke the body.
i left the hobby shop with a t-maxx body to replace it.

i did drive the 8e outside a bit. there was snow packed on the parking lot, so traction was a huge issue. this truck has a butt-load of power! even on the slippery gound it could get the front tire off the ground just a bit.
i cant wait till spring when i can really see what kinda speeds it can do.

it was a good day for me!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st day with new toys.

oh man that sounds like fun. my bandit is broken, so i can't do anything.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
sherwoodGS

how much modification required to make the t-maxx body fit onto the earthquake 8e?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: sherwoodGS

how much modification required to make the t-maxx body fit onto the earthquake 8e?

i trimmed the fender and bumper some, and raised the stock body posts some. they are set almost as low as they go for the stock body.
ill post some pics when i get it all finished.
the body was a pro-graphics(where you get to paint part of it with your own color) $35 at my LHS. not to bad IMO.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

pics of the t-maxx body. a fair amount of trimming to the front/rear bumpers and some front fender trimming were needed.

its not as nice as i wanted, but there was a small selection of 1/8 truck bodies at the hobby shop that were pre-painted.

if anyone still has their stock 8e body, i would highly suggest adding some large washers to the top of the body post. all of the load is placed on such a small area, and that makes impacts on the body more harsh.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
lcbe

those are some cool toys, truck looks good.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lcbe

those are some cool toys, truck looks good.
thanx. i still cant believe what a blast i had driving the 1/8 rockslide with the other crawler guys at the hobby shop.
driving this rig through the snow is alot of fun. it does soo well right out of the box without any mods!

but i am considering upgrading the ESC to an outcry esc. nothing wrong with the stock one. it works really good.
but the outcry ESC will let me use a 3s lipo. the extra voltage will give the motors a bit more speed. sometimes when crawling(especially in snow/mud) its nice to have alittle burst of speed!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
sherwoodGS

is your truck waterproof?  also, i thought driving the earthquake 8e in the snow (or on top of the snow) was a no no. 
Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM
lcbe

in your other thread you had a bl savage, do you have a build thread on it some where or a list of specs? how does it compare to the redcat? they are really close in length, how about weight and width?

the rs10 is the crawler i'd probably start with, but the 4ws sound pretty fun on yours.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lcbe

in your other thread you had a bl savage, do you have a build thread on it some where or a list of specs? how does it compare to the redcat? they are really close in length, how about weight and width?

the rs10 is the crawler i'd probably start with, but the 4ws sound pretty fun on yours.
dont have a build thread on the BL savage. i actually bought it as a roller with flux gears and a custom motor mount already done.
here is a pic of the savage and 8E next to each other. fairly close in size. the wheel base of the 2 is nearly the same.

the rs10 also has the same 4 wheel steering as the larger rockslide 1/8 crawler!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46004.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1563359