Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 PM
sherwoodGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???

did Imake a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am Ijust a bad driver???
so, my new Earthquake 8e arrived on Monday (5 days ago....) and on my first run, i broke the smaller gear in the front diff (see pic, right in half!). warranty item from redcat but it was going to take 5-7 days for delivery so i paid an extra $26 and got it in 2 days. i was able to fix that. today, i took the truck out into a parking lot and drove it around. very fast, very responsive. but maybe not too durable...??? the first time the truck rolled, the body broke and the front wheel sheered off at the hub. ***???? now don't get me wrong, i understand this is a hobby and i actually enjoy ripping them apart and fixing them and putting them back together again. problem is that everytime something breaks i need to get the parts online and it takes a week for them to come in unless i pay through the nose for shipping. i have a very nice LHS near my house and they've never even heard of redcat, nevermind carry parts. so i guess i am going to order the new wheel parts and wait a week.
my question is what parts should i buy and have on hand that typically break? for instance now i know that i will buy multiple wheel parts because that seemed to break pretty easily. anything else you guys can think of so i have common problem parts on-hand? i assume that is the way to go. thanks and enjoy the carnage photos!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25391.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1559000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89705.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1559001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80986.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1559002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97622.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1559003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19022.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1559004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar99792.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1559005  
Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Valgath

Default RE: did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???

you could try urchobby.com they they have always gotten me the parts i needed for my Earth Quake 3.5 nitro pretty fast matter of fact i upgraded my hexes to 17mm and he had them to me in id say 3 to 4 days give or take . Body i thrashed mine as well i went with a proline body the shift losi eight 2.0 body , its been a good really good rc for me minus the dogbones bending or breaking but thats prolly due to bashing to hard . Check out my profile and i have a pick of my EQ 3.5 with different body , tires , wheels , and a high down force wing on it .
Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
PejaPolo

Default RE: did I make a bad purchase or am I just unlucky or am I just a bad driver???

i say try and gettin the aluminum upgrades and maybe spares of the parts uve broken
Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats the 1st stub axle i have seen break on a 8E.

i just got mine. the body did break fairly quickly. i wish i had put some large plastic washers on the shock towers. the mount posts are narrow which puts alot of force on a small area of the body.

i got the alloy:
"C" hub
steering knuckle
rear hub

i havent put them on the truck yet. im gonna see how long they hold up(i call this dealer testing

those would be good upgrades i think, or good spare stock parts to have on hand. as well as a spur gear-camber link-driveshaft pair.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

That is pretty unacceptable stuff and not your fault IMO. That stub axle shearing is ridiculous and the body shattering in half is just plain bad materials quality. Bodies usually break down around the body mounts over time (and bad landings). A single clean break like that is no bueno. 1/8 scale are pretty much the most bulletproof platforms so to see this...

I really, really want to like Redcat products but when I see something like this, I just scratch my head...
Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

That is pretty unacceptable stuff and not your fault IMO. That stub axle shearing is ridiculous and the body shattering in half is just plain bad materials quality. Bodies usually break down around the body mounts over time (and bad landings). A single clean break like that is no bueno. 1/8 scale are pretty much the most bulletproof platforms so to see this...

I really, really want to like Redcat products but when I see something like this, I just scratch my head...
i admit that a stub axle shearing is very rare with any model.
as for the bodies, yes they are not the best material.

OP, how fast were you going when it flipped and broke that stub axle? just wondering.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seent that ever also.... dude must of been at a pretty good clip
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

thats the 1st stub axle i have seen break on a 8E.

i just got mine. the body did break fairly quickly. i wish i had put some large plastic washers on the shock towers. the mount posts are narrow which puts alot of force on a small area of the body.

i got the alloy:
"C" hub
steering knuckle
rear hub

i havent put them on the truck yet. im gonna see how long they hold up(i call this dealer testing

those would be good upgrades i think, or good spare stock parts to have on hand. as well as a spur gear-camber link-driveshaft pair.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Capn kanuckles

How cold was it outside when the parts/body broke,with cheap plastic cold=brittle.You have to keep in mind,redcat has some cool cars/trucks it is very entry level at best.So to answer you question did you make a bad buy,NO you got what you pay for and dont take that as a bash,i have a redcat and it got me into the hobby,but it is what it is.You cant expect corvette quailty at a smart car price.However i must say they do stand behind there products they sell as far as warranty goes.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Capn kanuckles

How cold was it outside when the parts/body broke,with cheap plastic cold=brittle.You have to keep in mind,redcat has some cool cars/trucks it is very entry level at best.So to answer you question did you make a bad buy,NO you got what you pay for and dont take that as a bash,i have a redcat and it got me into the hobby,but it is what it is.You cant expect corvette quailty at a smart car price.However i must say they do stand behind there products they sell as far as warranty goes.
i was also wondering if cold temps played a part. when you have a 50mph capable rc driving in freezing temps and you crash/flip, something is likely to give.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I have stripped drive pinions but have never broken them in half like the picture above; by the way did you shim your diff because you might want to do that I am not saying that's the reason for this (pinion splitting in half) but it will help prolong the life of your drive pinion and ring gear.
I have seen but one other person split a pinion gear in half like that and as for the stub axle and the body; the body you should have reinforced it with dry wall tape and shoe goo before use and it looks like you were going pretty fast and had a pretty intense rollover for your stub axle and body to break like that especially if it was cold out because in pretty cold weather even metal can become brittle.
I have bent stub axles on my Aftershock 8E which is very similar to your truck but never snapped any in half like that and I have had some pretty intense rollovers on the grass and a couple on the pavement .
There is a dealer (URC Hobby) in your area (Massachusetts) that could ship parts to you in 2 days during the week.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM
sherwoodGS

the truck was traveling about 25-30 MPH if i had to guess, it rolled twice.  the wheel broke off on the second flip.  it was about 40 degrees out. 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
sherwoodGS

when i had the diffs open i did not shim them because they felt pretty tight to me. plus the rep at redcati dealt with regarding getting the new gear told me i did not have to. i am going to buy a new more sturdy body at my LHS. i't ok if i have to spend some time trimming/altering it to make it fit, that's part of the fun. URCis in NY, i will get my fixer and spare parts from there.
ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

I have stripped drive pinions but have never broken them in half like the picture above; by the way did you shim your diff because you might want to do that I am not saying that's the reason for this (pinion splitting in half) but it will help prolong the life of your drive pinion and ring gear.
I have seen but one other person split a pinion gear in half like that and as for the stub axle and the body; the body you should have reinforced it with dry wall tape and shoe goo before use and it looks like you were going pretty fast and had a pretty intense rollover for your stub axle and body to break like that especially if it was cold out because in pretty cold weather even metal can become brittle.
I have bent stub axles on my Aftershock 8E which is very similar to your truck but never snapped any in half like that and I have had some pretty intense rollovers on the grass and a couple on the pavement .
There is a dealer (URC Hobby) in your area (Massachusetts) that could ship parts to you in 2 days during the week.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 AM
sherwoodGS

i will tell you something though, this might be an entry level ride but it sure does perform when it's not broken.  blazing speed, responsive steering, great handling.  i can't wait to get it in the dirt (all the dirt here in MA is coverend with 4 feet of snow so it will be a wait for that...).  i stopped by my LHS this week and they have an awesome outdoor dirt track.  can't wait to run it there. 
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM
cts102400

I have 2 red cats,monsoon/ avalanche  1 new himoto Mega E8XBL  and traxxas stampede velinum system.. They all break  in the beginning i broke lots of stuff and felt that it was brand thing( Possibly) Yesterday traxxas stampede whit velinum did 2 flips and bent metal part at wheel hub and broke plastic caster part. As time has gone onI have better understood how each model operates under cretin conditions. I.e. speed weight and turning ability. I have had to up grade some parts to aluminium. but all in all i would have to say the red cat and himoto are pretty durable once you understand its abilities  and your own driving ability. I mean no disrespect to you.  I have not damaged a part on monsoon truggy in 12 months. and himoto buggy is new. I'm sure after the BMX track today with himoto mega E8 xbl. Iwill  probably break something. Once I know how the kit handles and how to deal with jumps ill get better. Yes it was nice to go to LHS and fix traxxas in about an hour. but for the features you get with himoto/ red cat dual lipos charger 2.4ghz burshless system I like the cost savings and am willing to deal with having to wait for parts. RUfaster.com is excellent for Redcat parts support. they have been helping me out for 3 years and parts come fast. Even if you have a professional buggy  your LHS may not have parts and then you are in same boat as with red cat / himoto. However I do feel that these models are entry leve and some designs/ parts could us some tweaking. but for me there are good. This is a hobby and not my life passion.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

i have to agree, that for the price the 8E's really fly! there is alot of power in that motor on the stock lipos.
i have never had a truck that wheelies like this thing does.
and the stock steering servo has more torque than other RTR 1/8 scale mt's i have owned.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
buggyboy2010

Agree Dale, I am a huge fan of Redcat's/Himoto their affordable, cheap parts, great support, But their QC is a bit off... I have broke My fair share of parts, But I ruled it out to be user error, But this guy's issues are pretty frustrating

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

Agree Dale, I am a huge fan of Redcat's/Himoto their affordable, cheap parts, great support, But their QC is a bit off... I have broke My fair share of parts, But I ruled it out to be user error, But this guy's issues are pretty frustrating

both of his issues may be due to QC. however, the low temps he was driving in may have played a part. im not saying that any truck driving in cold temps is likely to snap a stub axle, but it will weaken plastic and metal parts.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Capn kanuckles

I would not replace a thing,i would warranty everything that broke through redcat warranty,thats why its there use it.I made the choice on my GP to just replace the parts i had problems with cuz i hate to wait+i upgraded the parts that were bad,but i should have sent all my faulty stuff in,others have and it was replaced.When there is warranty take advantage of it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Capn kanuckles

I would not replace a thing,i would warranty everything that broke through redcat warranty,thats why its there use it.I made the choice on my GP to just replace the parts i had problems with cuz i hate to wait+i upgraded the parts that were bad,but i should have sent all my faulty stuff in,others have and it was replaced.When there is warranty take advantage of it.
+1
Other people that have had issues with bad parts took advantage of their warranty and Redcat sent them back a whole box of parts so I have heard.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Capn kanuckles

My radio and receiver were crap,and they sent me a new 2.4g radio and receiver with no problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
sherwoodGS

so i took the wheels off and took apart the knuckle arms. the failure was that the axle broke right in half where the metal pin goes through. see the pictures below. i am going to call Kurt tonight and order some new parts. i was thinking about buying some upgraded SS knuckles while i'm at it. and the way this thing is breaking i might have to buy a donor truck!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82640.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1560057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47055.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1560058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38336.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1560059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25346.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1560060  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
sherwoodGS

so i just bought the following from Kurt at URChobby:
stainless steel knuckle arm set
stainless steel C-Hub set
(4) new axles
a new body (that i will reinforce this time.....).
and some lock tight.

i'm now about $600 into this truck ($300 for original purchase, $100 in upgraded and broken parts from Kurt, and about $200 in upgraded lipo batteries and chargers).  no turning back now, ride on baby!!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM
buggyboy2010

Ouch, That looks like an ugly break!, Never seen that befor!, But good luck to You sir, I know You will really enjoy Your investment soon enough, They are great RC's, And most of Us here know that first hand that they will hold their own to any top RC manufacture out there, And no worries about how much You have dumped into it, I baught My Tornado ( nitro buggy ) for 250$ New, I've owned it for 3years now and I have put around 1050$ into it... Now I am to afraid to drive it.. It's so shiney and pretty with all the aluminum upgrades lol

ORIGINAL: sherwoodGS

so i just bought the following from Kurt at URChobby:
stainless steel knuckle arm set
stainless steel C-Hub set
(4) new axles
a new body (that i will reinforce this time.....).
and some lock tight.

i'm now about $600 into this truck ($300 for original purchase, $100 in upgraded and broken parts from Kurt, and about $200 in upgraded lipo batteries and chargers). no turning back now, ride on baby!!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM
racemaxx24

Same here. I've been really tempted to try Redcat products but as soon as I begin really searching in, I see stories like this. I can run the hell out of my Traxxas products with no issue even though they're a little more expensive to get going with. I just don't have the money to poor into a trial product. Even if it has a nice warranty, the wait for the same parts would kill me.

Maybe Redcat will let me test one to prove my doubts wrong. I promise i'll be careful!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Capn kanuckles

I'm trying to figure out why you dont warranty those broken pieces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.