Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

question about waterproofing and battery hold down

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

question about waterproofing and battery hold down

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 AM
sherwoodGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about waterproofing and battery hold down

questions i could really use help with:
1. has anyone waterproofed the electronics in their earthquake 8e (or similar)vehicle? with all the snow here that seems like it is not going anywhere, i am wanting to do this. if you have, please let me know your methods and how difficult it was.
2. these darn hard plastic battery hold downs in the 8e are very difficu;t to deal with. i'm not sure if it's just me but they are very hard to get in out in the field. does anyone have any suggestions on something easier? PLUS, the turnigy batteries i bought from hobbyking (5200mah/30c lipos)have the power leads coming off the side instead of the top so they don't fit in right, anyone have any suggestions on this???

thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 AM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: question about waterproofing and battery hold down

I'm thinking of putting velcro straps on our rental units, make it a little more user friendly. As far as water proofing,the hard part is the ESC, you have to let air cool it, so how to waterproof.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
brew99

If you search youtube you will see many vids of waterproofing. Basically with the ESC, you want to avoid covering the heatsink/fan, so will require a little disassembly. There is even a vid of a guy who waterproofed his ride and ran it underwater in the bathtub!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

snow proof, and water proof are 2 very different things!
with snow, as long as none falls on the ESC/servo or Rx you are fine. water is much harder to keep of, and thus requires opening the ESC and coating the board with plastic dip or simillar product.

on my 8E, i used some spare lexan and gorrilla tape to make a incloser over the ESC and servo. the lexan sits over the parts by 1-2 inches, thus allowing cooling(also, in the winter we dont have to worry as much about the ESC overheating as in the summer)
for the RX, i just put it in a ballon and zip tie it down.

when im done running, i take the body off, dust off any snow i can and then let it dry out sitting upside down.

also, the ezrun ESC is called "spash proof" in the manual. thats not waterproof, but a drop of snow shouldnt cause an issue.

as for the battery trays, i to am gonna look into a different setup. if i figure something out, ill be sure and post it.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 PM
sherwoodGS

thanks nitro, i do mean snow proof, not water proof.  thanks for clarifying for me.....i dont want/need to run any part of the truck under water, i just want to be able to run it in the snow (carefully...).
Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: sherwoodGS

thanks nitro, i do mean snow proof, not water proof. thanks for clarifying for me.....i dont want/need to run any part of the truck under water, i just want to be able to run it in the snow (carefully...).
yep, just keep snow from landing on the ESC/servo and rx. and always let it dry upside down so no melting snow finds its way into the electronics but will just drip of onto the ground.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
sherwoodGS

more damage done today to my 8e light bashing.......film at 11.  at first glance, right front dogbone bent (what are they made out of peanut butter or metal...????).