Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

motor turns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 AM
rsw007
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor turns?

well my sons volcano's motor has now died he just got it for christmas. called redcat and they said that the brush motors only last 30-40 battery charges, that sounds terrible to me. so should i change to another brand brush motor and if so can a change the number of turns to make it faster without changing the esc? or should i change to a brushless motor and esc? if i change to brushless what affordable motor and esc do yall recommend? thanks scott.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
formula87

Default RE: motor turns?

Redcat told you that????  You just got it for Xmas I would get it covered under thier 90day warranty.
where did you get it from?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Redcat-Derek

Hey rsw007,

Go ahead and shoot me and email to [email protected] and I will see what I can do for you.

Thanks,
Derek
RedcatRacing
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
formula87

See there ya go....its all about cust service.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im sure redcat will replace the motor for you.
as for you original questions, the stock motor is 27 turns. the esc is not designed to handle a lower turned motor(it may, but you would be risking the ESC burning up if you tried)
you also shouldnt try going lower than 20t motor without getting a smaller pinion gear. use the stock pinion gear on a 15-17t motor and you will likely burn up the brushes in the motor.

to upgrade, you could get a traxxas xl-5 ESC and titan 12t motor(its a 550 sized, so the turn rating is different than 540 sized as mentioned above)
but for a "true" upgrade, look into a ezrun 35amp ESC with 3000-3500kv brushless motor. will run you $80, but it will be much faster than the stock setup.
its the same esc and motor the caldera 10E uses.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
rsw007

I dont doubt they will replace it, but just didnt like the answer that that was normal to stop working after so little use. They told me the brushless motor and esc upgrade was $125. and would last longer.

time to email derek and go from there.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
rsw007

emails sent to derek and claim submitted online to redcat.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rsw007

I dont doubt they will replace it, but just didnt like the answer that that was normal to stop working after so little use. They told me the brushless motor and esc upgrade was $125. and would last longer.

time to email derek and go from there.
brushless motors are sooooo much better than brushed motors. we call them brushed as they have metal brushes that contact the com. this is a point of friction and heat. eventually the brushes will ware out.
brushless doesnt have any such friction point. there are not rubbing parts which will ware out. and the lack of this allows the motors to run higher voltage and are more efficient.
i could get you the novatech ESC and motor for $110 shipped.(the one in the EPX PRO)
but personally i prefer the ezrun ESC and motor combo. that one would be $125 shipped.(the one in the caldera 10E)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 AM
rsw007

dereks got me a motor on the way. thanks derek and redcat.