Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Never cared much for the Backdraft Body colors so.......

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Never cared much for the Backdraft Body colors so.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never cared much for the Backdraft Body colors so.......

I'm not much onDark Blue & Black mixedon any vehicle so, Idesided to make a slight change to mine today.

lets see now........

Brake Fluid, Paint Brush, 0000 Steel Wool, an old red ragand lots of elbow grease.............

Base color sprayed inside body and then gone over with white to make the primary color stand out........

Ican reallysee this thing coming and going now........

Idont like the white spoke wheels on it anymore, gonna go back to black ones so if anyone is interested in these wheels and tires just give me a PM I'll let - em go cheap!

Anyway heres what she looks like so far............and if someone dont like the color thats fine it wont upset me, I think it's kinda loud myself but cool just the same.......thats why I did it.

Peace

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75237.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1564543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94156.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1564544  
Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM
formula87

Default RE: Never cared much for the Backdraft Body colors so.......

is that the stock clear body?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
1ofmyfuns

These pics dont really do the color justice........it's actually a Bright Florescent Green that will glow under a Black Lamp......

I'm gonna have to do something about those other blue parts though the shocks look like bad up against the Green....
Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
formula87

ORIGINAL: 1ofmyfuns

I'm not much onDark Blue & Black mixedon any vehicle so, Idesided to make a slight change to mine today.

lets see now........

Brake Fluid, Paint Brush, 0000 Steel Wool, an old red ragand lots of elbow grease.............

Base color sprayed inside body and then gone over with white to make the primary color stand out........

Ican reallysee this thing coming and going now........

Idont like the white spoke wheels on it anymore, gonna go back to black ones so if anyone is interested in these wheels and tires just give me a PM I'll let - em go cheap!

Anyway heres what she looks like so far............and if someone dont like the color thats fine it wont upset me, I think it's kinda loud myself but cool just the same.......thats why I did it.

Peace
Its okay I painted a full size race car about that same color................ now that stands out...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
1ofmyfuns

it was the stock Black & Blue Body, Istripped all the paint from the inside of it with Brake fluid and then repainted the inside with the Florescent Green and then when that dried Ipainted over the Green with a Bright White, that makes the green llokbrighter, it was a little bit of work but only a couple of hours is all it took.

from this to this, did take a couple of the stickers off that wern't on the body straight anyway and just left the ones on the side at least for now, they may go too, not sure about them yet.

ORIGINAL: formula87

is that the stock clear body?

Name:	Mh21241.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1564590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11038.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1564591  
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
1ofmyfuns

Here are the same pics only bigger this may help a little...... I sized the others to small earlier

Name:	Ca81711.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1564595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39727.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1564596  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice work. its good to know that the stock paint can be removed with alittle work. that info will help others if they want to try re-painting their bodies.
the green is loud, but its also unique to your backdraft!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
1ofmyfuns

Yeah I wanted loud.........on this one, it's loud when it's running all out and it make me get loud when it breaks.........so loud is a good thing on this one.

I'm for sure goona go back to black wheels though, those white ones dont go good with that Green body at all IMO.

These are what I have in mind for it now...

Name:	Fd91607.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1564613  
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 PM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

Really good job!

Didnt know we could remove the original paint.

Too late, I already ordered a clear body

Mine will be orange & blue (to fit the blue parts on the suspension)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
JTuepker1

Will be trying that trick myself on my electric version. Color scheme will be flor pink,and purple with white and silver highlights.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM
1ofmyfuns

one thing that you will find is that the white paint that was sprayed over the Blk/blu graphic colorswill come off much easier that the Black & Blue paint, the white that is seen on the inside looks to me to be more of a primer type paint, kinda reminds me of a laquer or something, I'm sure it's not but the way it's flashed it looks like laquer becauseLaquer flashes like that because it dries so fast.......who knows what it is but it comes off pretty easy.

Be prepared for some scubbing on the Balck & Blue paint, it will kinda desolve in stages, and just a rag and brake fluid would have you on the job for hours so the fine steel woool is a must for it not taking forever!

Now, once you get it all off I just rinsed my body off with plain water.....and because of the steel wool use you will see that the inside of the body is a little dulled (not crystal clear looking anymore) I was a little concerned about it at first even though I knew it would actually give the paint a little something to hang onto, but after I dried it good I then sprayed it off with ( CRC Electronic Cleaner ) so if there was any oil or residue of any kind it would be removed and beclean before I started the repaintingjob, after the paint went on the slightly dull look completely went away, after all the shine is the outside of the bodyshell anyway.

on mine after the green paint had dried I thensprayed White High Temp Rustoleum EnginePaintto put a nice brightcolor behind the Florescent Green Piant, it will make it look brighter and protects the main paint from easy damage.

I know I said a lot here but I want anyone who does this job to understand it will take an hour or 2 so just be patient and let the brake fluid and the steel wool do the work, also ever so often wipe the nasty fluid out and pour a dab bit more fresh it works better this way when it is kept fresh and doesn't have all thatpaint mixed in with it, something else I learned in the proccess.

all you guys that do this be sure and post pics so we can see your custom work........I'm sure all of you will end up with a much better job than mine but I just had to do that Bright FlorescentGreen, it's actually the safety Green color and it is much Green-er than the pics show, I mean this thing is unreal bright in the sun..............and whats cool is that under a black lamp the entire body glows......the painthas phosphorus in it or something to make it glow...........not good for a thing just kinda cool............!

Good luck and I hope to see some cool paint jobs pretty quick here...........

Peace
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
formula87

Okay I picked up two clear bodys and painted them  from URC Hobby I will post them up too.....................
Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 PM
1ofmyfuns

Great........!

I plan to do another for mine, I am a big fan of the color Red, I have 2 Red vehicles and my wife has a burgandy car, so I will be doing a Red Body before long for it, I have an idea in mind but not settled on anything yet and I never will until Istart on it......thats the way it always is for me it seems, I'll change my mind at least 2-3 times before I nail something down for sure.

Peace
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 AM
formula87

Here ya go 2 Backdraft bodies got them cheap from Kurt as they had no decals.... and a few pics of my Slash bodies.

Name:	Tr50964.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1565444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76546.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1565445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88943.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1565446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63418.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1565447  
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
1ofmyfuns

Hey those are nice bodies....

Did they come prepainted are is the paint jobsyour own touch?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: 1ofmyfuns

Hey those are nice bodies....

Did they come prepainted are is the paint jobsyour own touch?

I did them myself. half the fun is thinking about the design and tapeing it off most of the time I can't tell how it will come out. I want to do some more bodies for the backdraft but the stock ones just don't hold up very well.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
1ofmyfuns

You did a great job on those, you said the stock Backdraft bodies dont hold up well and this may be the case but knock on wood mine is still holding up good, no cracks so far and it has taken a few pretty good tumbles, I guess maybe it hasnt hit just right yet and when it does I'm sure I'll get a break.

It's kinda funny though.......Iwould have thought that my body would have broken easy on some of the rolls I've had but so far it has beenseveral other thingson the buggy thatbroke and the body is still like new...........!

I probably should have never said this............now my next time out the body will split right down the middle.............! LOL

My next paint job on a Backdraftbody will be either orange or red, haven't thought it out for sure yet.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 AM
1ofmyfuns

Iput the Black wheels backon the Backdraft.
I think it looks better with these wheels, Itook the pics outside which shows the color better.....
Idont have to worry about loosing sight of this one now.....!

Name:	Yv66260.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1566902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57663.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1566903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81805.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB