Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My redcat buggy froze!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Go Gators

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My redcat buggy froze!

ok so i see from the video all 3 diffrent screwsnow. not sure why i cant get it to run right though
Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM
cumquat

never mind...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Go Gators

I just cant get the wheels to stop spinning while in idle. if I unscrew the idle it wont start and if i screw clockwise it spins the tires.  What now?  Help

Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Go Gators

am i to adjust the high speed needle or idle screw? or both? I'm getting very frustrated with this!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 AM
gigabyte411

If you're trying to get the wheels not to spin at idle.

Start with the idle screw. turn it so that it rev'slow but doesn't shut off.

Once you have that and I'm thinking that your wheels are still spinning

Then adjust your LSN (low speed needle) - not the one in the brass sleeve - turn the LSN counter clockwise in very small increments and wait 30 - 45 seconds before you touch it again. Imagine that the screw is the little hand on a clock and your gonna turn it 1 hour at time. That's 1/12 of a turn. small increments.

I hope that you remember where all those needles were when you started (stock needle settings)

remember, this isn't frustrating, this is getting to know your car, it's part of the fun.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
gigabyte411

It just occurred to me, have you checked the throttle trim on the radio without the car running?

When you turn on the power to your radio and then your car does your throttle servo move? Is it humming? If your trim is properly set your throttle servo won't hum.

If it's humming:
turn everything off
remove the screw from the throttle servo arm and lift the arm off the gear
take off your air filter so you can see your carb gap - adjust the gapto1 to2 mm (mine is closer to 1mm)
set you throttle trim on the radio:
I've heard it two ways (1) is to set the throttle trimon the radio all the wayback(this didn't work for me)
(2) is to set the throttle trimon the radio to the middle (this is what I had to do)
Now, turn on yourradiothen your car power switch
Is the throttle servo humming?
If yes, then adjust the throttle trim until the hummingstops,
Once you get it tothe point where it's not humming. Turn off the power on the car thenthe radio then turn the power back on for the radiothen the car... still nothumming, right? Great.
Turn off the power to the car and the radio.
Next put the throttle servo arm back on the servo gear and screw it in, put it on carefully so it doesn't move thegear but tight enoughthat the carb gap stays at 1 - 2 mm
Turn off the power on the car thenthe radio then turn the power back on for the radiothen the car... still nothumming, right? The carb gap is still properly set, right?
Put the air filter back on.

Fire it up.

Good luck

there is a video for this on youtube but I don't rememberwhere, sorry.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
jands29
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

if the piston was at TDC when the motor stopped and allowed to cool like that, it could be stuck for that reason.
before applying force, i would use a hair dryer to heat the motor up. that will help the cylinder expand and lessen the pinch on the piston.
absolutely use a hair dryer and heat it really well before u try anything. Irun my Nitro at -20c on a regular basis, at leastuntil my fingers freeze off lol. Irun really rich and ALWAYSheat the engine prior to starting even though I bring it straight from inside my warm house. These engines cool down very quickly and Itry to remember to place it at bdc after running it.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, this may be a stupid question.... will the engine start and idle with the wheels on the ground? I'm thinking you may have a clutch problem. the screw under the air filter is the idle screw. try to loosen (counter clockwise) it.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Go Gators

well ive tried most everything and its just not running right.  Funny thing happened today in which I ran into the owner of a hobby shop of tamarac and told him my problem. He said to just bring it in.    Has anyone heard of this shop? its in tamarac florida just outside fort lauderdale.  Thanks  John
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
gigabyte411

I'm on the other side of the country but mynot so LHS charges $20 to tunea nitro car. That includes a car that won't start. Parts would be extra ifnecessary.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
rjsdad

Go Gator..you can take it in and have the owner explain everhtying to you. In order to keep a good running machine you will have to master the tunning. A rule of thumb is that if you have good blue smoke your safe. Although you can lean out the engine and get more performance from it, having good blue smoke will ensure that your engine is getting plenty fuel and lubrication. Remember that the fuel also cools the engine as well. So it does the following: cools, lubericates, and is the power source. I went a step further and once I found BDC (Bottom Dead Center) I used my drill punch and made two permanent markings that all I have to do is line them up and I am at BDC. Use after run oil...if you dont WD-40 will work as well. What were doing is preventing moisture to collect inside the engine which will lead to rust. Hope this helps
Old 03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Go Gators

thanks guys! I THINK IM JUST GOING TO BRING IT IN TO HIMANd get it running at idle. I will take care of getting it broken in after that.

Also if anyone in Fort Lauderdale Florida woiuld like to come over some time and help me out, I would appreciate it. LMK. Thanks John