Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Battery question on 8E

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
talgozzine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question on 8E

Hey guys, have a quick question on batteries for my Earthquake 8E. I've heard you can use whatever C rated and mahbatteries you want as long as they are 2 cell 7.4v batteries. That makes sense except on the C rating I'm a little confused. I see the ESC on the 8E is rated at 80A continuous and 270A burst. NowI would think thatalotof batteries would in theory seem to go way over that based on the ratings even though they are 2 cell 7.4v. For example a 30C could be rated for continuous 30C(150A) and burst 60C(300A). Now having those batteries on the Earthquake8E x2 batteries you would think would be 300A continuous and 600A total, which is WAY over the rating for the ESC. Does none of this matter since the motor and ESC can only pull so much out of the batteries at a time anyway? Am I doing this wrong? Does this not matter? I just don't understand since supposedly u can use other C ratings besides the stock batteries. I'd love to use a 5000mah 30c battery but I also don't want to burn anything up.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Battery question on 8E

doubling the batts doesnt double the amps, just the voltage.
and as you said, the 80amp rating has more to to with how much amperage the Motor will draw through the ESC.... not how much the batts give to the ESC.

a pair of 2s 30c 5000mah lipos will work great in the 8E's. No worries of it burning up. such batteries will provide more runtime than the stock lipos, but not cause the ESC or motor to work harder.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
talgozzine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery question on 8E

Perfect! Thanks for the information, makes sense to me...appreciate it!